Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How big is the chance that mom won't have an allergic reaction?

Miso

Lairian
Joined
Aug 5, 2017
Messages
1
Points
2
My mom is allergic to cats, but I finally convinced her that we can get a Sphynx. If we visit a cat shelter with sphynxes, I'm worried she'd react way too hard since there are way more than just one cat there, and say there's no way we can have one. If I got a sphynx home, I would bathe it each week, and wipe it with baby wipes twice a week. I'd keep the cat in my room most of the time and make sure mom cleans her hands if she pets it.
Mom can spend a night with a regular cat and then get a mild reaction in the morning. Her allergy isn't really serious, but is mildly annoying, with the runny itchy eyes and stuffy nose, and mild difficulty breathing. I'm also thinking exposure therapy would work. My grandma was allergic to cats, but she got 2 shorthairs, and even though she reacted to them at first, the allergy went away with time. At one point she lived with 3 indoor cats and one outdoor cat, and there is fur there EVERYWHERE. If my grandma could deal with 4 cats, I think mom would be able to deal with 1 hairless cat that is bathed often and kept upstairs. Do you think there's a chance? Should I even go to a shelter with 10+ cats, getting her way more exposure than neccessary, and risk her saying we're not ever going to get a Sphynx?
 

dare2Bbare

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
5,345
Points
393
It honestly depends on the severity of the allergy. Many people can live with Sphynx and allergies while others can't. Meeting one at a shelter would be tough because of the other cats. There would really be no way to tell. My husband has allergies but the Sphynx doesn't bother him, only when he's been licked and he seems to manage better in the summer. He's got other allergies so cat allergies are the least issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Dec 8, 2016
Messages
1,718
Points
218
My dad is crazy allergic and he's fine with mine but it depends on the person. Bathing that much could make the baby produce too much oil too.
Maybe ask the shelter if they can do a meeting outside. Just explain how allergic your mom is and you need to see if she reacts to the specific cat
And yes technically the allergies can go away due to exposer but that's a whole other area of science :)
 

Yoda mom

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2012
Messages
19,471
Points
653
@Miso , welcoming you and your mom to the lair family :)
Great question amd proud of you for reaching out for advice
Getting a kitty is a 20 year plus commitment if we are blessed thst long with them in our lives -
So doing your research is purrfect :)

I had to wait 15 yrs for my first sphynx for the right timing
I used to keep a pic of a sphynx on my desk and say "someday"

Other members dealing with allergies will surely chime in

Keep us updated !
Jump in and enjoy this fun fondly bunch with your mom!
Lots of great info and pics here for you two to enjoy !
 

Toa and Ross

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 23, 2015
Messages
28,173
Points
643
Welcome to sphynxlair! Try toget your mom to visit a sphynx household only. Maybe not a cattery but somebody who own's sphynx? Or do an allergy test? It depends, some people are allergic to hair, others also to dander and saliva. If you mom is allergic to dander and saliva she'll also be allergic to sphynx. It's still able to live with that allergy but only if she really wants it. I'm allergic to hair, dander and saliva and have 3 sphynx. But that's because it's my choice and I' m willing to live with the sneezing part:).

Hope you find a way with your mom!
 

sphynxmoms

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Feb 8, 2014
Messages
1,531
Points
343
I am highly allergic to cats (like deathly). The way we tested with the sphynx was I used a small kitchen towel, had someone hold the sphynx with the towel and rubbed the towel all over the cat for several minutes. I then folded the towel and wore it around my neck for several hours...that was I had the dander, oils or whatever from the sphynx in direct contact to see how I would react but did not have the contact from other cats interfering. I had no problems so we got the sphynx. There are also medications you can take for allergies that will help if you are not severely allergic to things as well.
 

cleozmama

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
1,289
Points
188
Welcome to the lair! I, too, am very allergic to cats and usually react within 5-10 min. However, I hung out at the Sphynx breeder's house a few times with all her sphynxies running around before I adopted my Cleopatrick. The only really reaction I ever had to him was from rubbing my eyes after I handled him. He was an obsessive bather, so his saliva wasn't a problem. His favorite evening activity was always head-butting and rubbing my jaw line (necking?). Still,
no reactions.

Good luck in your quest for the world's greatest Kitty!
 

Roki

Lairian
Joined
Apr 28, 2015
Messages
160
Points
51
We use the Earthbath cat wipes on us after particularly intense "necking" sessions or if we get a scratch of any kind. I'm very sensitive to fragrances, and these wipes don't have any, so it works well for me as well as the nekkids. Hubby is very allergic & will get welts if he gets a scratch. The wipes, used immediately, will clean the scratch out & stops him from getting itchy at all. The girls tend to want to neck with him more, since he has whiskers too. He enjoys it & wipes his face & neck off when he's had enough & that works great. But, yes, severity of response depends on the person & the cat. Pre-Sphynx, I had two cats & he was certainly more reactive to one over the other, due to dander, in his case.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

RogueJuliet

Lairian
Joined
Jul 24, 2017
Messages
5
Points
4
I am allergic to what seems like everything. When I went to meet Chindi the first time, her current owner had a french bulldog, at least a dozen snakes, and three other sphinxes. My eyes and nose reacted some, but nowhere near as bad as they would have with a bunch of normal cats.

Chindi herself hadn't been bathed in weeks and she's a greasier than a normal kitty, even with a decent diet and not-obsessive cleaning. When I met her, all those cute little wrinkles were full of dark brown filth. My companion for this trip was petting these cats and, after we left, touched my face with the hand he used to pet the cats. We were easily 20-30 minutes from anywhere I could wash my face, and I prepared for the inevitable skin rash/breakout... but nothing happened.

A gal pal of mine has a husband who is very much allergic to pets. They took Chindi while my husband and I went Florida for a week to visit family. The husband only reacted to the cat when she hadn't been bathed for over a week (and was quite stinky and brown by then).

Everyone's immune system is different, so your mileage may vary. I think for most people, if you keep kitty and kitty's surroundings reasonably clean, one's immune system won't react, or won't react much. The problem is, if your future feline friend hasn't been bathed in awhile and/or has shared close quarters with more allergenic animals, it will be very difficult to determine what your mother is actually reacting to.
 
Top