Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

how did you pick your kitten?

Marinka

Lairian
What im asking is how did you know that it is the ONE? I know a lot of people just pick by looks over the breeders web site and then place a deposit. .or maybe im wrong. At least that's what I've seen/discovered while looking up breeds online.
When I will be picking mine I'd probably have a really hard time. Every kitten and cat I look at look perfect to me. When they are kittens there's no way to tell what kind of personality one will have. I just really want to connect with my future kitty, want the biggest cuddle bug and who will be up my butt all the time. I miss that connection with the pet.
Tell me your stories how you picked your one(or two) and only.

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We done loads of research & finally decided to visit a breeder a couple of miles drive away to see a really cute pinky coloured little boy, when we got there Blue just jumped straight onto my knee, i'd put him down to play with the other kittens & he'd just play for a minute then jump back up & cuddle into me, this went on for about an hour so technically he picked me ;) we went to see his brother & came home with Blue, wouldn't swap him for anything in the world now, love my little man to bits it was just meant to be !!! :)

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
my Cornish picked me, he jumped on me and would not leave me be , rubbing on me and laying on me and purring, mind you i was standing in a room full of about 3o cats. And yes he jumped on my shoulder each time i put him down. He even chased away the other cats not to come near me. I didnt want an older cat, but then we took him home because he picked me .
Hairy - Art contacted the Breeder and the lady that was supposed to take Hairy backed out last minute. The Breeder had Hairy left and she was saying he is the only one at her house right now and she needs him to have a home. I fell in love with him right away.
Rooka - we rescued her, well my Vet rescued her and she wanted the best home possible and she asked us to be her parent and we fell in love with that Tortie right away.

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My breeder sent me a photo the night after the kittens were born, and there were two females and one male. I had my eye on one of the females, but a few weeks later she passed away. The breeder sent me a new photo of the two remaining kittens and I knew right then that the surviving female was the one for me. Still had to wait another 6 or so weeks to put down a deposit (my breeder doesn't take deposits till the kittens are weaned and have their first shots), but I got lots of pics in the meantime. I couldn't be happier with my Zoa, and I can't believe she wasn't my original choice. It was meant to be :)

WithLVoe

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We had 5 kittens to chose from. Before getting there I had already decided I wanted the blue male from photos. We went to play with them all and phoebe kept jumping onto my boyfriends lap and playing w us. So she technically picked us.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
As most of the people on the Lair know, Cleopatra was a rescue that we stumbled on at Petsmart one Saturday. She was there with her calico sister, both just 3 months old. I have always been a sucker for calicoes and torties (the cat I grew up with was a DLH dilute calico), so I gravitated toward the sister. But the little tuxedo with the funny black smudge on her nose (it was like God dipped His finger in some ashes and touched her nose) had already made up her mind that she was going home with us. We played with both kits for a while, and then went to pay for our purchases. The rescue angel, Carol, brought Cleo to the register, on the pretense of going to look at the birds, and handed her to me to hold. I actually gave her back and said we couldn't get another cat at that time. And we left without her! But about an hour later, Bob turned to me and told me that we were going back to get her. We went back, and the rest, as they say is history! Our only real regret is that we didn't get the sister too--but Cleo is our spoiled monkey-child, Sphynxie Ambassador for rescue cats.

Gremmy

Lairian
Both of my kitties (Gremmy and Paul) came to me when I wasn't even looking to get cats!

Gremmy- was about to be put down for being a "non-thriving" kitten
Paul- has an ulcer scar on his eye and the breeder didn't feel she could sell him

I feel like these boys were meant to be here!

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Breeder sent me two pics of six kitts a week after they were born. I was after a blue, because I had seen a photo of their older brother and he was gorgeous. But part of me kept looking at the kitt with the black tipped ears. I didn't actually make a decision until they were about 2 or 3 months. The little brown Torbie just had a look on her face in the photos... So I chose her over her blue sister

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Breeder sent me two pics of six kitts a week after they were born. I was after a blue, because I had seen a photo of their older brother and he was gorgeous. But part of me kept looking at the kitt with the black tipped ears. I didn't actually make a decision until they were about 2 or 3 months. The little brown Torbie just had a look on her face in the photos... So I chose her over her blue sister
image.jpg

MisoLina24

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I had a love at first sight moment! I saw Patrick Stewart's picture on the breeder website when he was a kitten then he got sold :( I then saw he got returned months later I asked the breeder about what happened and no matter what it was I wanted him! She sent me pictures to my cell phone she text me and was so amazing to work with! I guess I picked him from his picture but I like to think we were meant for each other! :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
10 years ago we were sent pics of 2 kittens that were available. I really wanted a bi color and the breeder sent 2 pics (a bicolor and a pinky) I fell in love with the pinky (Babas) with his funny raisins and the rest is history....our lives have been change forever!

Jouët was sent by an angel (leeloo the girl we lost unexpectedly) I hade emailed breeder saying we were researching and we were not ready and in th ehealing stage but let us know about the next litter...a week or so later Jouët showed up (smudge kitten at the time) and she became available because of Hurricane Sandy hitting NJ hard and 2 couples never showed up to put down deposits. It was just meant to be and she helped us heal.

Azura was pick of the litter and OMG the hardest position to be in...lol. Hubby and I like different. Tuxedos are not different as they are very attractive to most. But every time we thought about another from the litter, Azura just kept popping up as the one. Whether it was the white toes, the white lip, or the twinkle in her eye, we just were drawn to her. She just had a way about her and it showed through in her baby pics.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I had a love at first sight moment! I saw Patrick Stewart's picture on the breeder website when he was a kitten then he got sold :( I then saw he got returned months later I asked the breeder about what happened and no matter what it was I wanted him! She sent me pictures to my cell phone she text me and was so amazing to work with! I guess I picked him from his picture but I like to think we were meant for each other! :)

So why did he get returned to your breeder? I too think it was meant to be. :)

Marinka

Lairian
All of your stories are so sweet. Can not wait to be in your shoes. I guess there is no such thing is a "wrong" choice of a kitten. ..all of them are amazing. Im sure I'll feel something when im in that moment.
My kitty Mila (who is domestic short hair, she is 17 yo now and I had to leave her with my parents in Ukraine after I had her since she was 8 months old) she was my baby..still is, I just couldn't put her through 12 hour flight and possibility of quarantine. I found her in a newspaper. .there was no photo, me and mom went to look at her and she didn't look like nothing special. She was asleep. ..then owner picked her up and Mila started licking woman's face..I knew immediately she was the one :love:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
What im asking is how did you know that it is the ONE? I know a lot of people just pick by looks over the breeders web site and then place a deposit. .or maybe im wrong. At least that's what I've seen/discovered while looking up breeds online.
When I will be picking mine I'd probably have a really hard time. Every kitten and cat I look at look perfect to me. When they are kittens there's no way to tell what kind of personality one will have. I just really want to connect with my future kitty, want the biggest cuddle bug and who will be up my butt all the time. I miss that connection with the pet.
Tell me your stories how you picked your one(or two) and only.

1) Liam: I was searching to find a breeder for a very long time. While doing that, I discovered so many different colored sphynx cats/kittens and I was amazed by the sphynx that looked like a Siamese or Tonkinese. I then went searching for a breeder that had kittens that looked that way with blue or aqua eyes. I finally found a breeder and was very happy and immediately in love with Liam.

2) Grayson: Within the first two weeks of having Liam home with me, I knew I wanted a second sphynx. This time I wanted a blue point and I sent the same breeder a deposit for the next time she was going to breed. That's how I got my sweetie boy, Grayson. :)

I THOUGHT I WAS FINISHED WITH TWO UNTIL:

3) I found out by accident that Liam and Grayson's "father" was going to retire now that he was bred to Liam and Grayson's "mother". I felt like I HAD to get one last kitten from them as Liam and Grayson were so wonderful. So that's how I landed up with Simon. I had pick of the litter and there were two that looked like Grayson and I wanted a different color this time. I narrowed it down to two and I picked the one that had a white mark on his back that resembled a Nike Swoosh...that's Simon.

AGAIN, I THOUGHT I WAS COMPLETELY FINISHED UNTIL:

4) I found out by accident AGAIN, that Liam, Grayson and Simon's "mother" was going to be bred ONE last time before being spayed. I felt like this was my ONLY chance to get a female this time that would be a real sister to my three boys (well half-sister). There were actually two litters born the same time at my breeder's house and out of nine kittens, there was NO mistaken which one I wanted...and that's my Sissy.

BUT SISSY GOT VERY SICK WHILE AT THE BREEDER'S HOUSE AND IT BEGAN TO LOOK LIKE I HAD TO WALK AWAY, so I:

5) Found another breeder and looked at her web site and found the ONE and ONLY kitten left at the moment and it was a female and it was the exact coloring I was looking for...so that is Miss Violet.

P.S. After I got Miss Violet from the other breeder, Sissy finally got so much better and put on weight. My husband and I KNEW that we had to go and get her. I fell madly in love with her face the moment I saw her when she was about 10 days old.

So that's my story how I landed up with five and how I got to pick them.

THE END (no more sphynxes). LOL

Marinka

Lairian
1) Liam: I was searching to find a breeder for a very long time. While doing that, I discovered so many different colored sphynx cats/kittens and I was amazed by the sphynx that looked like a Siamese or Tonkinese. I then went searching for a breeder that had kittens that looked that way with blue or aqua eyes. I finally found a breeder and was very happy and immediately in love with Liam.

2) Grayson: Within the first two weeks of having Liam home with me, I knew I wanted a second sphynx. This time I wanted a blue point and I sent the same breeder a deposit for the next time she was going to breed. That's how I got my sweetie boy, Grayson. :)

I THOUGHT I WAS FINISHED WITH TWO UNTIL:

3) I found out by accident that Liam and Grayson's "father" was going to retire now that he was bred to Liam and Grayson's "mother". I felt like I HAD to get one last kitten from them as Liam and Grayson were so wonderful. So that's how I landed up with Simon. I had pick of the litter and there were two that looked like Grayson and I wanted a different color this time. I narrowed it down to two and I picked the one that had a white mark on his back that resembled a Nike Swoosh...that's Simon.

AGAIN, I THOUGHT I WAS COMPLETELY FINISHED UNTIL:

4) I found out by accident AGAIN, that Liam, Grayson and Simon's "mother" was going to be bred ONE last time before being spayed. I felt like this was my ONLY chance to get a female this time that would be a real sister to my three boys (well half-sister). There were actually two litters born the same time at my breeder's house and out of nine kittens, there was NO mistaken which one I wanted...and that's my Sissy.

BUT SISSY GOT VERY SICK WHILE AT THE BREEDER'S HOUSE AND IT BEGAN TO LOOK LIKE I HAD TO WALK AWAY, so I:

5) Found another breeder and looked at her web site and found the ONE and ONLY kitten left at the moment and it was a female and it was the exact coloring I was looking for...so that is Miss Violet.

P.S. After I got Miss Violet from the other breeder, Sissy finally got so much better and put on weight. My husband and I KNEW that we had to go and get her. I fell madly in love with her face the moment I saw her when she was about 10 days old.

So that's my story how I landed up with five and how I got to pick them.

THE END (no more sphynxes). LOL
Wow haha that's amazing. I see you can really get "addicted" to Sphynxie's lol I better be careful when im getting one or my husband would probably kick me out

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yoda- I loved the whole litter. I had never seen a sphynx before except in pics. Yoda jumped into my lap first thing, I instantly fell in love with her. Every time I would look at one of the kittens, Yoda would jump in my lap and try to push the other kitten away. I figured Yoda was meant to be mine. I loved her heart shaped cow spots.

Pinky- looking at the litter I noticed something odd about Pinky. She was very clumsy and seemed to walk funny. They told me she was getting over an ear infection. They had also discovered she had a small heart murmur. They were unsure what they were going to do with her. I didn't care I was instantly in love with her.

Chloe - my breeder emailed me and told me they had a kitten, that was meant for me. Told my husband I was just going to look. They told me how she was a little stinker and all the trouble she was causing. I knew she would be joining the family once I saw her. Of course I didn't say a word to my husband. I kept it a secret til the day she came home. He came home from work one day and there she was.

RandE

Lairian
I talked to my breeder on the phone about her current litters. She told me what new babies she had available and then told me about sweet Jade who was looking for a home. She was older and has a head tilt due to a severe ear infection. She was purchased and then returned with the infection because the other owners cat didn't like her. I have a major soft spot for special needs critters and was immediately interested. She told me more about her- her color (white) her eye color (green- YAY I'm not a big fan of blue) and told me about her personality. I was sold. She was mine. I drove 16 hours there and back to get her and I wouldn't trade her for the world!

tdizzle3

Lairian
My breeder was five hours away so I really couldn't go visit. I was open to color but I definitely wanted a boy. My breeder sent an email out when kittens were born and I decided on my boy out of five other boys. When I met him for the first time I was worried he wouldn't like me or we wouldn't have a connection but once we got in the car he curled up in my lap,started purring away and settled all those rubbish worries I had :)

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When I decided to look for a sphynx I didn't want a kitten I actually contacted breeders and asked if they had any that needed to be rehomed plus I didn't have $1200-1500 for a kitten at the time. A few people responded to me one was a male and at the time I really wanted a female. Another was a special needs beautiful white/pink female, I knew I couldn't give her the special attention she would truly need so I declined, finally I got an email about Izzy. She was supposed to be a breeding queen but she hated their male and got in fights with the other females. I was told she was a tortie, to be honest I hated torties at the time but I had only ever see furry torties and thought it was such an ugly color as it looked to me like a filthy mangy alleycat. Then I saw the first picture of Izzy and was blown away. She didn't look dirty at all! She looked almost as if she had on digi camo all over her body...(I had just started dating Myron at the time and he's a marine) I fell in love with her and her intensive green eyed stare. She was mine!!! I payed her owner to get her spayed with their vet as I hadn't found one I trusted yet and a rehoming fee. she went to go get her spay done and wouldn't you know she was pregnant with one kit! So I had to wait a little longer for her to come home and they actually moved her kit to another queen because Izzy got very aggressive with the other cats and they had to get her out of their house. They just couldn't take her being a grouchy pants anymore and disrupting their whole cattery. So she was fixed and delivered to me by a pet taxi service.
Wasabi came to me from a fellow sphynx owner friend I made. Her son is special needs and became very ill. They were back and forth at the hospital sometimes having to stay days or weeks. Realizing she could no longer give Wasabi all the attention he needed she asked me if I or any one I knew may be interested in taking him. I was going to actually post on here and see if we could help him find a forever home, and she was about to put a posting on Craigslist. But I talked to Myron about wanting another cat, he didn't want to go for it because of the trouble with Izzy and her last home. But then I told him I WAS Going to take him and Izzy wouldn't act out so bad because he was fixed and so was she, so they wouldn't have raging hormones. I text her back and said I would take him. She had a hard time letting go. She actually kept him for another 2 weeks trying to make things work out at her home telling me if it didn't I would be the first to know because she wanted a good home for him. When she finally decided it was time she brought him to my house in tears. We hugged and cryied. I was happy to be getting a new family member but sad for her to be loosing one. We still text and see each other almost every week when I go to petsmart (where she works and we first met) she loves seeing pictures of Izzy and Wasabi getting along... We were both worried about that! Wasabi is my snuggle bug and Izzy is the princess in this house. Love my rehome kitties!

Back