Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How do I pick out a kitten that's right for me?

Kittay4me

Lairian
I've wanted this breed for quite some time now. About 9 months ago, I actually started researching the breed and fell in love with them even more. The personality of a dog and a cat put together is what sold me. At first I wanted a rescue, but the more and more I looked, I realized I wanted a younger cat/kitten so that the bond between us is stronger. Plus... who can resist a kitten!!

So I'm pretty much almost there with purchasing a kitten... however, I'm driving myself crazy before I've even looked at any. At first I wanted a female, because all my non-sphynx cats in the past growing up were and they were nothing but affectionate. BUT then I started researching, and I see that the majority of people think that males are more affectionate than females.

Basically I want a kitten that's going to grow into an affectionate lap kitty that doesn't mind being handled, follows me around where ever I go, and not timid. I just want to know if there are any ways to tell of this outcome?? When researching, I found that some cat owners basically saw an entirely different personality once that cat matured.

So here are my questions:

Is there really a difference between male and female personalities? and which one would best fit the qualities I'm after?

Are there any tricks or things to look out for when you go to pick out a kitten?

And in your experiences... did the personality of your kitten change once they reached adulthood?

I want a heart cat so bad... one that was made for me. So I'm scared I'm going to make a bad decision.

:Question:

emmysmom10

Lairian
In my opinion I don't think you can make a bad choice with these kittens...as long as you get one from a reputable breeder and they are brought up with love and affection! Make sure you go into a breeders home or cattery and see everything you can about the cats and how the live.
I got my 1st sphynx when she was 2 so I don't know how she was as a kitten but the longer she was with me the more affectionate she got. She follows me everywhere, cries when I leave or even when I go out on the porch and she can still see me! My husband and many other people agree when she meows and cries it sounds like shes saying momma. So I guess Im saying they are how you train them to be:) Good Luck I'm sure whenever one you pick will turn out exactly how you want

holly_savage

Banned
The best thing to do is find and get to know a reputable, experienced breeder. They are the best for knowing the personalities of their kittens. I you make them aware of what it is you are looking for in a cat, they can usually match you up with the best kitten, male or female, to fit your needs.

Every kitten is different, some males are affectionate, some aren't, same with females.

Good luck in your search, I'm sure you will find exactly what you are looking for.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have 3 sphynx and I did not meet any of them until they were shipped here.
They were everything the breeders said they would be.
My Wrinkles is a Tortie and she is such a suck up and is always hugging my face .
You know what people think of Torties.
In fact her and Cleo are sitting here next to me right now.
Both my girls are lap cats.
I also have a boy but he will not sit with me but he is very friendly also.
I agree with the others every cat is different.

Kittay4me

Lairian
Well, a friend of mine knows a family who originally started out breeding dogs, but has just recently started breeding sphynx kittens. The price is probably about a quarter of the amount I've seen other breeders ask for since we share a common friend. However, the parents have not been scanned. Is that a no no? I feel like it's not real different then adopting a kitten from a rescue group since all of those concerns are unknown.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We don't have an official list here at the lair. We aren't even allowed to publically recommend breeders by name. And breeders aren't allowed to advertise that they're breeders. But what we can do is give advice via PMs.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Kittay4me and welcome!

Is there really a difference between male and female personalities? and which one would best fit the qualities I'm after?
I'm not sure any breeder can really tell you that a cat will have a certain personality or how they will be when adults. You can surely see the parents and get a good standing on their reaction and temperament towards people and gage a good understanding of what you may expect your kitten to be like once an adult.

Kittens are exactly that, kittens, they all look cute, play, run ramped, cuddle (at times) but their true personality shows when they reach maturity. Yes, in my opinion the males seem to be more like the descriptive characteristics you generally find on the Sphynx cat. Our female is a love bug as well, but is not the "jump on the shoulder and hang out Sphynx" follow you round like a dog, or does not play fetch and so on. (She will lay in my lap and give kisses and drool on me though!)My male does all these things. I would be lying if I sold you a male kitten and said he will fetch and jump on your shoulder daily and at night lay comfortably on your lap while you watch TV.

That is why it is important to spend a few hours at a breeders home in the kittens territory, where you can clearly see some of their characteristics, temperament, health and how mom and dad are. The night you bring your kitten home, he or she will be nothing like the cat you just took from the breeders home for a few days. They are scared in their new home and take a little while to get used to their new surroundings and parents. So don"t be surprised when they hide under the couch for a day or so!We have turned down people that we felt uncomfortable with so as breeders we interview the potential new parents.

Are there any tricks or things to look out for when you go to pick out a kitten?
Color is truly preference!

And in your experiences... did the personality of your kitten change once they reached adulthood?
I answered above!:Laugh:

I want a heart cat so bad... one that was made for me. So I'm scared I'm going to make a bad decision.
Just do your home work on the breed and think about my suggestions and comments. Do not rush to get a cat!

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello.

If you buy a sphynx from a good breeder who treated them as familly members while they grew up you can't go wrong. This breed is EXTREMELY affectionate and it will be stuck to your side, lap, shoulder for the rest of it's life if treated well.
I know of people that almost panicked from the sphynxes being this way since they can't close the door to their bedroom for "human snuggle time" or going to the bathromm alone etc so they're affectionate alright. :LOL:

If you want a cat who will almost violently love you and have time and patience for the care of them you more or less can't go wrong with a warm bag of skin.

There are differences between male and females in general and I prefer males mainly because I feel they are a bit more open for going places and meeting strangers and other animals. My experience, which is NOT to be taken as a fact, is that females want more security and less comotion in life and I love to bring mine everywhere. To friends with other cats or dogs, to familly when I visit, even if there is a huge familly dinner, to my pet store etc etc. I am sure many females are alright with that too but for me they have usually not been so that's why I choose males. This is what I have experienced but as I said it might or might not be a fact.

When it comes to kitties vs adults personalities EVERY kitten changes personality when it grows up to some degree. You can not say that this kitten will be like this or that from how it behaves at 8-15 weeks, certainly not from just seeing it for an hour or two. But I still think it is important to go see (if at all possible) them to make sure they have a good life as young and to choose the one you like/love the most since no matter if a kitten you love from second one will change because you will change with it.

And the wait to get him/her is much more exciting if you have a self selected individual that you chose with your heart to think and dream about while waiting.

Don't buy kittens from unscannsed parents, you want to SEE those results. Don't buy a kitten if you are not as sure as can be that they have been brought up as members in a familly. Mills should not be fed money.

x0jules0x

Lairian
Here is one trick I always follow.. HAVE THE KITTEN PICK YOU!!! thats exactly what I did! As far as which is better (male or female) I am no help, being I am fairly new to this as well lol. and I will absolutely agree on everyone else when they say... go to the breeders house and shop for breeders .....get to know the breeder, surroundings, kittens, parents...everything! Make sure you do your research.. even try going to cat shows to see the cats in real life.. which they are the coolest feeling animals!!! but anyway, which ever you choose I am sure you will be happy!! good luck with everything :Laugh:

TotenEngel

Banned
I agree with that! Smeagol picked me!
I was doing some vague research into the possibility of getting a Sphynx. saw a picture of him, fell in love, rung the breeder expecting him to be gone but he wasn't! :D
Went to see him and he was immediately in our faces, purring, climbing and generally being a pain in the butt so he chose us!
Being that I already had 3 DSH boys, I wanted another boy (dont think it would be fair to throw a girl into that!) plus I seem to get on better with boys!
Colour wise, I like the reds and blacks personally but then I do see other colour combinations that appeal to me on some cats so i dont think its ever worth discounting a colour completly!
As far as hair goes, Smeagol is a velour (which, as I understand is 1-3mm of fur all over) but then he has an amazingly fluffy tail (well, not compared to our other cats, but compared to the rest of him!) Knowing him, as I do, I just find it cute!

Gizzymom

Banned
Here is one trick I always follow.. HAVE THE KITTEN PICK YOU!!! thats exactly what I did! As far as which is better (male or female) I am no help, being I am fairly new to this as well lol. and I will absolutely agree on everyone else when they say... go to the breeders house and shop for breeders .....get to know the breeder, surroundings, kittens, parents...everything! Make sure you do your research.. even try going to cat shows to see the cats in real life.. which they are the coolest feeling animals!!! but anyway, which ever you choose I am sure you will be happy!! good luck with everything :Laugh:

That is what I did!! I went to the breeder... sat on the floor with some kittens... and while I was petting a kitten, my little Gizzy climbed up the back of my sweatshirt and perched on my shoulder - He had chosen me! We have been inseparable ever since... and that was almost 8 years ago. :Adore:

tessblack

Banned
When I went to the breeder I wanted two boys. I had always had a male and female and the female had never had the personality my males had. That was furry cats.

When I went to the breeder and saw Tux I fell in love, then he was acting like a bit of an idiot and fell in love with him more. Twitch was quiet and stayed away but she was so darn cute and tiny. Like a delicate little girl but then her a Tux started wrestling and then sitting together and I knew that was them. There personalities are still the same and they are just perfect together. The night they got home it took about 20 minutes for them to check the whole house out and then come sit with me on the couch. This was the first night we got them.

Poor hubby the non cat man.

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I agree with that! Smeagol picked me!
I was doing some vague research into the possibility of getting a Sphynx. saw a picture of him, fell in love, rung the breeder expecting him to be gone but he wasn't! :D
Went to see him and he was immediately in our faces, purring, climbing and generally being a pain in the butt so he chose us!
Being that I already had 3 DSH boys, I wanted another boy (dont think it would be fair to throw a girl into that!) plus I seem to get on better with boys!
Colour wise, I like the reds and blacks personally but then I do see other colour combinations that appeal to me on some cats so i dont think its ever worth discounting a colour completly!
As far as hair goes, Smeagol is a velour (which, as I understand is 1-3mm of fur all over) but then he has an amazingly fluffy tail (well, not compared to our other cats, but compared to the rest of him!) Knowing him, as I do, I just find it cute!

Oh! My seal sphynx must be a "velour", then - she has a fine coat almost all over, plus a fully coated tail! She has a bare belly & front of her chest, but other than that, she has fuzz! I read here that since her entire body has turned dark, not just the pointed areas, & eyes are aqua color, she should be considered a seal mink?!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh! My seal sphynx must be a "velour", then - she has a fine coat almost all over, plus a fully coated tail! She has a bare belly & front of her chest, but other than that, she has fuzz! I read here that since her entire body has turned dark, not just the pointed areas, & eyes are aqua color, she should be considered a seal mink?!

I'm no expert but think she would be a seal mink.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Since the eyes are Aqua she has to be me Mink.
Points only have blue eyes.
Here is a pic of my Seal Tortie Point and White Girl.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The breeder had 2 litters running around when I went to pick out my first kitten. One of them looked up at me and latched onto my jeans and dug her claws in so we had to pry her away. Right then I wanted her but she was already sold. Luckily the buyer backed out and she became available 2 weeks later so I snatched her right up. I don't normally pick females but I've never been unhappy with Pedda, she's the best cat ever.

My heart kitty was a reject. No one wanted him because he was very long and lean, not pudgy like the rest of the kittens, so the buyers all thought there was something wrong with him. He was almost 5 months old when I went to look at him and I fell in love the moment I saw him. I always believed that no one else wanted him because he was meant for me.

There's no right or wrong way to get a heart kitty. I think it just happens.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My heart cat was Coco but I lost her in Sept to blood clots and strokes at age 18.6.
My other heart cat is Cleo my oldest sphynx and I was not suppose to have her.
I was only looking for breeders within 4 hours from here and kept in touch with a breeder I wrote and had met at a show.
Well she wrote me when the kittens were born and everything seemed ok but it wasnt.
There were 4 kittens born all solids which I wanted.
2 black and 2 blue.
She never took a deposit and said she would send pics and never did.
I wrote her and she said I would get a kitten for sure what bs.
I had names picked out.
Ramses for a boy and Cleo for a girl.
I was so mad and hurt I was going to give up on getting a sphynx.
Then this person who is friends with Cleos breeder told him what happened and he said to write him so I did.
I was stuck between a Tortie and Cleo and asked people which one I should get.
Who knew Cleo would turn out to be a heart cat.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Unlike most of the folks here, I adopted an older rescue sphynx female, Piglet, who was already 8 years old when I got her two years ago. I wasn't sure what to expect personality-wise when I first adopted Piglet, but my doubts were banished after only a few hours with her. Piglet was, and still is, the most friendly, affectionate, and interactive cat I've ever had...she follows me everywhere and communicates with me all day with her little meows, chirps, and chirrups. She loves people and goes everywhere with me with no complaints. Although I've never known Piglet as a kitten, she and I have become true soulmates and we are now an animal-assisted therapy team with American Humane in Denver.

I adopted a second male sphynx, Peppe, last September. Although Peppe was only a year old when I adopted him, he and I don't seem to have the same close heart bond that Piglet and I have. Like Piglet, Peppe is very friendly and loves people, but he's not much of a lap cat...he prefers to run around and play with Reno, my Siamese. Don't get me wrong...Peppe is a very nice cat with an awesome personality and I love him very much, but he's just not as cuddly and interactive as Piglet.

It just goes to show that the age or sex of a kitty doesn't matter....it's the individual cat and their particular personality and how they connect with you. Regardless of which cat you end up choosing, you can't go wrong with a Sphynx...they all have very loving and playful personalities! Good luck in adopting your new sphynx cat!

TotenEngel

Banned
Unlike most of the folks here, I adopted an older rescue sphynx female, Piglet, who was already 8 years old when I got her two years ago. I wasn't sure what to expect personality-wise when I first adopted Piglet, but my doubts were banished after only a few hours with her. Piglet was, and still is, the most friendly, affectionate, and interactive cat I've ever had...she follows me everywhere and communicates with me all day with her little meows, chirps, and chirrups. She loves people and goes everywhere with me with no complaints. Although I've never known Piglet as a kitten, she and I have become true soulmates and we are now an animal-assisted therapy team with American Humane in Denver.

I adopted a second male sphynx, Peppe, last September. Although Peppe was only a year old when I adopted him, he and I don't seem to have the same close heart bond that Piglet and I have. Like Piglet, Peppe is very friendly and loves people, but he's not much of a lap cat...he prefers to run around and play with Reno, my Siamese. Don't get me wrong...Peppe is a very nice cat with an awesome personality and I love him very much, but he's just not as cuddly and interactive as Piglet.

It just goes to show that the age or sex of a kitty doesn't matter....it's the individual cat and their particular personality and how they connect with you. Regardless of which cat you end up choosing, you can't go wrong with a Sphynx...they all have very loving and playful personalities! Good luck in adopting your new sphynx cat!

awww, bless you! I did contact a sphynx rescue society here in the UK about a month before I got Smeagol, have now had him 2 months and still not heard anything back from them :'(
Would love a rescue baby!

susi794

Staff member
I have to weigh in on this one...I have 6 sphynx at the moment and I have 6 velcro cats! I can NEVER sit down without most of them on me at one time. I used to think I preferred males--I just adore Moody! He loves everybody, is gentle and doesn't have any annoying habits. Loves to get on your shoulder, lay on your lap, spend all day being your cuddle bug. But Habibi, my oldest female, is without a doubt, the most affectionate cat EVER--she wants on me constantly, pets my face, drools on me, kisses me, head butts me, follows me everywhere, starts out on my lap...inching ever closer....closer.....closer. I think she'd crawl down my throat if I allowed her to. She is so sweet, but it gets extremely tiresome. I put her down and she instantly jumps back up--over and over and over again. I love Othie Marie, Dulce and Lulu because they are extremely affectionate, love to give kisses, but know when to give it a rest. Boo is very affectionate too, but gets a little rambunctious with his claws as he's kneading my skin. He also won't settle down and just lay there when he sleeps with me. He wants to lay on my face and head rub it until I can't take it anymore--then he crawls onto my back and starts digging...I makehim get off then he goes back to my face---finally after about an hour, he'll find someplace he can live with and then he'll settle down. He is extremely stubborn and doesn't like to be told what to do when it deviates from his plans... LOL--he'll go jello legged or hang on so its' really hard to move him. He's a stinker! The girls can be a little moody, but they at least all get along most of the time--the boys don't anymore.
So, sex doesn't matter all that much--what does matter is individual personalities and the way they have been brought up. And the chemistry you make together. I do want to say when you choose a kitten, look for one with bright eyes, one that doesn't seem lethargic in any way, and one you feel attracted to.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
In all honesty my breeder picked Gleek for me. She knew that I was a former Sphynx owner who wanted to explore pet assisted therapy so she made recommendations based on her experience regarding temperament and skin quality. She had three male kittens that she was evaluating for show and offered one of them to me, but she couldn't make up her mind which one to keep. She told me it was a toss up between Gleek and his litter mate right up until she left for the airport.

Back