Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How do I stop Rafiki from pooping on his tail?

Christina

Lairian
Hey all!
I am feeling exasperated. I've had sweet little Rafiki for about 6 weeks now (he's about 18 weeks old). His tail is always naturally curled up, and when he poops, he holds it down, gets poop on it, and then that cute poopy tail brushes his legs, his side, MY FACE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT...and he sometimes steps in poop and tracks it EVERYWHERE.
I seriously bathe him on average once a day because of this and it's drying out his skin. Plus, I'm always paranoid that he's covered in poop, so it's embarrassing to have people over to meet him.
So far my only tactic is to show his tail to him full of poop, firmly say "no" and proceed to bathe him (which he hates anyways so you'd think that would teach him).
However, I don't think he knows the cause of his messiness...and it's not like I'm going to be able to catch him right before he poops, and hold his tail up for him...although I am going to try that next.
Does anyone have any ideas for me?????

:Question:

PitRottMommy

Banned
First off, is Rafiki having solid stool? What type of litter are you using? Is his "curl" a structural abnormality of the tail or otherwise?

Let me side note in saying that every pet holds their tail in a different position for eliminating waste. We can only hope we're fortunate enough to have a pet that extends their tail...but not all pets do this naturally and it's not something you can teach a cat. I would highly advise against showing him his tail and telling him no. This isn't something that he's doing wrong...he's doing it how it comes naturally to him. That's quite like punishing a child for being left handed when the rest of the family scribes with their right.

What can be done from here is trying to modify the poop to where it doesn't cause a problem on his body and there's nothing to track from the litter box.

In addition, the next time you bathe him, rub him down with human-quality conditioner and rinse in luke warm water. This will help to eliminate the dry skin from continual baths.

Brooke

Banned
I agree with Pitrottmommy, it sounds like he may be having soft stools, and that is more of a concern that if it's getting on his tail or not. If he's having normal, firm poops, they shouldn't be tracking everywhere. Is he having diarrhea?

Also, he's still quite young and has a lot of learning to do...I'm sure some of this has to do with the fact he's still a clumsy kitten and will probably grow out of walking through it.

If it's any consolation, one of my girls had diarrhea a couple of nights ago and I had to stand and watch while she pooped all over her own foot. Nothing I could do but catch her on her way out of the box and clean her up with baby wipes before she walked it all over the house!

gizmo6370

Banned
18 weeks old is still a baby :Smile:
I don't think you should give him a reprimande...because he don't know he is doing something wrong....it will get better....when he gets older :Wink:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Butterball occasionally puts his tail in his nice steamy mess. Boy does it stink. I usually smell the mess before he gets lovey though. His stools are solid but he sticks his tail in it every once in a while. You're kitty will get better with age I'm sure.

susi794

Staff member
Gosh, don't tell him no anywhere even remotely near the litterbox or his pooping--pooping in the litter box is a GOOD THING. A cause for jubilation! Don't make pooping there something you get scolded for because you might get the totally opposite effect you are looking for. Babies make horrible poop messes--LOL. It's just what they do. He's just a baby--he'll get better. My babies always make a royal mess when they first start using the litterbox--they walk in it, wear it, it gets EVERYWHERE!
It'll get better.

J

Jinxlover

Boo is a mess all the time back there now.I'm hoping it's just b/c she's prego and will stop after the babies...

Give your little guy a chance to grow up. I agree with everyone else, it will get better.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes, hang in there! Sophie was messier when she was smaller. She didn't poop on her tail but wouldn't clean her bum as well as I hoped. Now, she is much better!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I agree with Gizmo, the cat is young and will learn to poop without an issue eventually. You can use baby wipes as well to wipe them down in between bathing.:ThumbsUp:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I remember Mo getting in a mess when he was a kitten quite often. He would get it on his tail. He is better now he's older and also much better at cleaning himself than he used to be. Just make sure Rafiki has a big spacious litter box to go in that he can spread himself out itand move around in, and that there is plenty of litter in it, I find this helps.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Get his poop more solid and then it will be less likely to go everywhere. I also totally agree with Susan, don't reprimand him or he will start associating the litter box and poop with being told off and may find places to hide and poop...

Good luck.

corter

Lairian
My Gilby is over a year and still poops on his tail sometimes, and doesn't clean his bum really, ever. I just keep wipes or toilet paper around, and catch him when I smell it. However, he's only done the poopy tail in bed thing once, and it was more a dirty bum on my pillowcase. it wasn't fun, but I just threw the sheets in the washing machine. I'm hoping he (still) grows out of it...he's not very smart.

aphex twin

Lairian
Yeah, If you've got his diet right his poo will get firmer - he's still a little one and we've all had these issues, so don't be alarmed things will improve. The Hermes still brings occasional **** paw into bed - you've just got to find the funny side of this and be prepared

Pbinky

Banned
This is definitely a kitten thing. It will get better. What really works in my house is having a second kitty and they clean each other :Smile:

Christina

Lairian
Thank you so much everyone for your responses!

To answer some of your questions...

His tail naturally curls at his side. It's adorable. I just wish he would hold it up when he poops...

His poops are mostly solid. Sometimes fairly soft/formed but they are getting more consistent now that we have found a food that he likes. But despite the consistency of his stool, he still manages to get it on his tail, side, and legs on a daily basis. This morning he actually had some on the scruff of his neck! lol

I always use positive reinforcement when I see him using the litter box. I would never use a firm 'no' around that area. Oh, imagine if he associated the litter box with negativity? My mess would triple! haha

I've got to say though, he's at least starting to calm down in tub time--doesn't freak out and wriggle his soapy little body out of my hands anymore! I'm using positive reinforcement (liver treats that don't upset his tummy) for all grooming activities.

Guess it's all up to waiting patiently for me....thanks all.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Unbelievably my 8 year old boy came out of his litter box last night with cr*p on his tail!!! Couldn't believe it, never happened before and i hope it never happens again...mainly cos trying to clean him is like wrestling with a wild animal! :Dizzy:

X

zoes mom

Lairian
I would go easy on the treats (I know that can be hard) I noticed when my kitty was younger and messier I eased up on the soft food and treats until she was use to his food and his stools where solid. I sure hope things get better quickly for you so that you can start to enjoy your cat.

Back