Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How do you deal w this???

Traci Smith

Lairian
So Nile thinks it’s a great idea to come and suckle my neck and knead my face at 5am or there abouts every morning! Not out of cuddle time, but because he wants breakfast!!!!!!!!

He is such a pest! Won’t let me sleep! The whole time he is purring super load and meowing lol!

How do I try and change this behavior, because this is not my wake up time! I’m pooped! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This happens the odd time with me, but not always. I just pulled the covers up over my head and make myself inaccessible. This tends to work. Alternatively, I put my hand between that sandpaper tongue and my face and that also tends to work.

I'm not a big fan of preventing access to the bedroom, but I know that some people will do that to mitigate this very issue.

Hopefully others chime in.

denise irwin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Tracey smith
Niko does this every night also usually around 3am and then again when he wants all hours of the night . I just tell him no and move him until he either jumps off the bed and goes to his or he goes under the covers. Has been doing it since we brought home and i have not had good noght sleep since lol. Let me know if you find anything else to be done .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sounds very familair! Jade will wake me up around 4.30 cause she wants fresh kibbles (mind you, there are always kibbles in my crews bowl).
You can try to ignore but it can take a while for Nile to learn.
You could also leave out enough kibbles to get him through the night. Or buy a feeder with a time lock that gives kibbles around the time Nile wakes up feeling hungry.
But whatever you do, don't get up to feed him yourself. Cause if you do so 5.00 will be the new wake up time for you everyday:)

Traci Smith

Lairian
Lol ya I don’t really want to lock him out, he is a good boy the rest of the night but this food thing is nuts! I leave a dry kibble out but he is like a princess and wants his small scoop of soft on top! Little turkey! Yes, I must have pushed him off my neck for 5 mins saying no! And he was like a heat sinking missile coming right back lol turns tail and back on me! So crazy. My husband thinks it’s cute lol which it is, but I like my sleep! Lol little goober!
5b3662a49c2fb786c7fdadb64add41e9.jpeg
5c14cb8c6c1b56161ba17205053ada54.jpeg
1f82c7b43803979b0bd00b121184d988.jpeg

Traci Smith

Lairian
Sounds very familair! Jade will wake me up around 4.30 cause she wants fresh kibbles (mind you, there are always kibbles in my crews bowl).
You can try to ignore but it can take a while for Nile to learn.
You could also leave out enough kibbles to get him through the night. Or buy a feeder with a time lock that gives kibbles around the time Nile wakes up feeling hungry.
But whatever you do, don't get up to feed him yourself. Cause if you do so 5.00 will be the new wake up time for you everyday:)

No way am I getting up to do that lol!!!!!
“I love you Nile, but your cute belly tells me you’re not staving!” Lol ya I don’t need that! 7:00 is the time I’d like! And that’s even early! Lol

denise irwin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Toa and Ross

Niko has food and water down at all times day and night so i for him its not about food. I think its just his way of wanting to cuddle lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Try getting a timer dish for in your bedroom. Just a little bit of kibble set for 3:30 will hopefully get him through until you feed him his regular breakfast.
17617670e9bdc6b5da87a56b6863b468.png

We have 3 of these and they are a very basic model. There are all kinds of fancier ones out there, but these work great for us when we are going to get home later than usual.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When my first sphynx moved in we turned into zombies and it's been like that ever since! At our house it's not about food but about cuddles and attention. I haven't had the heart to close the door to the bedroom, yet...
A friend of mine has devon rex cats that are so crazy at nights that once a month they get to sleep in the basement for one night to cool off, then it works fine again, for a while.
I do love that automatic feeder though, something to consider!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
It does take a while for them to recognize the sound of the flipping of the lid but they get it. You can always keep the dish on the floor by your side of the bed and place him there for a few days in a row. They are so smart.

Traci Smith

Lairian
Great ideas! I don’t think it is the kibble he wants I think he wants the soft food which I do not free feed. That I only give him a small scoop of to mix his L-Lysine in breakfast and dinner. Cause there is always kibble in his bowl when I finally do go out there about 8! So if he was hungry, I would think he would eat that! It is the soft he’s after I think lol!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Some timer feeder dishes are set for wet food and have slots for ice packs to chill wet food. Transitioning for dry food will be easier, but you have options.

HenlesMom

Lairian
Henle does the same thing around 5am. I've started ignoring him and setting an alarm for 6am (when I get up anyway) and feeding him as soon as the alarm goes off. hoping i will eventually train him to wait for the alarm to wake me.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So Nile thinks it’s a great idea to come and suckle my neck and knead my face at 5am or there abouts every morning! Not out of cuddle time, but because he wants breakfast!!!!!!!!

He is such a pest! Won’t let me sleep! The whole time he is purring super load and meowing lol!

How do I try and change this behavior, because this is not my wake up time! I’m pooped! Lol

Hello !
My Mr Bagins did the same to me at 4am every morning ( minus the suckling he does that to Cleo ) at first I thought it my duty to get up feed him have some play time until he went back to sleep
PROBLEM WAS !! I then couldn’t go back to sleep
I just started to ignore him it was a horrible feeling I felt like a bad mother I really did .. but after about a week he did stop doing it , then we got up at 5:30am when my hubby leaves for work
I do think sometimes we need to put our foot down with a firm hand ah ha
Be strong and brave our four legged babies need to learn like we did with our two legged babies
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Try getting a timer dish for in your bedroom. Just a little bit of kibble set for 3:30 will hopefully get him through until you feed him his regular breakfast.
17617670e9bdc6b5da87a56b6863b468.png

We have 3 of these and they are a very basic model. There are all kinds of fancier ones out there, but these work great for us when we are going to get home later than usual.
Hi there could you tell us from where you purchased these thanks in advance
Anita Cleo & Bagins
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Anita Eccleston look on Amazon. There are so many varieties of cat timer dishes. Some even have a place for an ice pack in case you are feeding wet it will stay fresh.

They are just a great option to have so you are not tied to having to be home at a specific time. I set some kibble to hold them over. I also have the cat sitter set them to open every morning when we are on vacation, because they are used to being fed much earlier than when a cat sitter would come over.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Anita Eccleston look on Amazon. There are so many varieties of cat timer dishes. Some even have a place for an ice pack in case you are feeding wet it will stay fresh.

They are just a great option to have so you are not tied to having to be home at a specific time. I set some kibble to hold them over. I also have the cat sitter set them to open every morning when we are on vacation, because they are used to being fed much earlier than when a cat sitter would come over.
Thank you so much I shall pop on amazon and check them out
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
With Pixie it's attention. "I want under the duvet!" at 3am -- only to decide that really, she doesn't want to sleep there after all.
GRRR.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Our boy isn't so much a suckler/face kneader, but he will cry every morning around 4-5 am for me to acknowledge him, and once I do that is his que to jump up and sleep on my head. I wish he'd just jump up and lay on my head without having to wake me up first :ROFLMAO: but I love him and his snuggles too much to try and stop it. Goodbye peaceful night sleeps!

Traci Smith

Lairian
UPDATE!!! ******

Apparently I was totally off base!
Since my breeder and I speak at least once a week and share pictures I asked her “when did you guys feed him in the morning? “ She said somewhere around seven —730 so I started to think maybe it had nothing to do with food! So I remember you guys saying sometimes it’s about getting attention because he was purring like crazy. So now I let him suck for just a second then pull him off me and then he’ll continue to try to do it and I just keep sort of pushing him down so he’s slightly out of reach and then he settles in and goes to sleep!!!! So what was a bad thing now turned into a good thing and I get the big snuggles!!! Hurray for the big cuddles and snuggles! #newcatlearningcurve!

Back