Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How do you decipher the vocal cries?

NakidSquad4

Lairian
I should preface this with, I was always the mom that was quick to attend to every sound my children made as babies. With Genevieve, I notice that she
is very vocal when playing or roaming around the house. How do you interpret the sounds your nakid makes?

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hmm, I think you just kind of pick it up as you go... Butchie is my first feline of any kind, and I didn't have a clue! He grew more and more talkative with age as well, and has a pretty amazing range of noises :LOL: Sometimes if he's just mooching around and miaows I know he's bored, or he has a right good moan before he goes to the toilet for his no 2, a forlorn sound when he's looking for me and can't find me and then another pleased noise when he finds me, and then there are some different noises when we play too of course :giggle:

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello there !
Now Bagins is vocal he cries at the boys bedroom doors I say cry but it’s more a jibberish sound , he cry’s before he goes potty , his purr is deep and sounds lovely
Now my Cleo makes more squeaky noises normally when she is nudging me for a cuddle or wants food
I don’t think any two nakid babies are the same , they are all unique to themselves
It is an amazing learning curve
Just keep being the amazing mum you are
Xxx

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You will pick it up as you go along. They have proved that a cat has an individual language that only the cat and the human family understands. The cat to human language is unique to each family. The other language is cat to cat that they learn from their mothers or other cats they are around during their first year.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My Siiri has this thing, she yowls like a dude and it's loooong without pause. Like she's trying to tell me something. I get the feeling she is not at all pleased with something, like "where have you been" or "why did you leave me" or "where is my food". It makes me pause every time!
Our previous boy Ossi made noises before going nr 2 and after, like he was telling us that "I'm gonna go and poo" and "I've pooped, go clean it up homan!".

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Orpheus doesn't talk too much. He makes short little meows when he's going to the toilet and after. He also gets very chirpy when he thinks he should be fed dinner haha
He can also get quite loud when he's excited and playing or what's your attention. I definitely think you start to figure it out as you get to know your cat :) after a while you start to notice the similarities in certain sounds/triggers for the sounds :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Until 4 months ago I had 3 sphynx who never meow. Only one of them sometimes yells at the backdoor. Very obvious what he means with his yelling!
In August number 4 arrived, Foxy. And now I'm lost. She chirps, meows and makes all kind of noises and I have no idea what she wants to tell me. Hope I'll learn someday

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Anita Eccleston @Anansi OMG! I knew I wasn’t the only who with a weirdo cat who announces before using the litter box! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You can always tell when he's going cause you'll just hear in meowing from the spare bathroom then scuffling around in the litter then he's quiet for a bit then meows again to say he is done haha so funny. He just spent a good 15 minutes going back and forth meowing at his litter box cause I was later than usually scooping it and he needed to go haha

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Anita Eccleston @Anansi OMG! I knew I wasn’t the only who with a weirdo cat who announces before using the litter box! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Oh yes my dear my very vocal little fella needs momma to tell him what a good little boy he is lol .. My Bagins is like a very clingy child ah I can see him holding the leg of my jeans while I try to do something ah BUT I WOULDNT CHANGE A THING xxx❤️❤️

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Haha omg this thread is so funny! Some days Binky can chat non stop! She has a whole vocal range!

announcement meow - am going to the loo or I have arrived!

Chirps - Shes buzy moving about! Haha which is hilarious as it’s like she’s working!

Screams - pamper time

Mama meows - well I swear she says it! She wants my attention or she’s looking for me!

Growl sound for birds - if I make the sound to her she runs to the window to chase them!

Welcome home meow- the one that melts ur heart.

Silent meow - when she wakes up n is still tired!

General chit chat meow - you have a full conversation with ur baby haha...!

Hissing - pamper time

Oh oh sound - I been caught usually for eye cleaning

Back