Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How do you keep your cat entertained?

How do you keep your Sphynx entertained when you're not home?

• Television, movies?

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Radio?

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Kitty sitter?

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • He or She is on their own!

Votes: 49 59.8%

• Total voters

Gizzymom

Banned
When Gizzy was a baby, I used to leave the radio on for him... but he would still get into trouble - knocking things over, locking himself in the bathroom by pushing the door shut, scratching up pillows and furniture... you name it!!! After he was about 2 he mellowed out a lot. Now he chills all day.. moving around my house to catch "sun spots". That is fine with me cuz when I get home, he is all excited to see me and ready to play, "talk" (chirp), or just spend time with me. :Adore:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Toys around the appartment and they play with eachother. Don't leave them much alone though but ofc sometimes it is unavoidible.

Also I play with them a lot before so they can sleep much the hours they are on their own. Sometimes I leave the radio on at the usual rock-channel, I think a sphynx is hardcore enough to not having to listen to watered down pop or god forbid techno. A hairless cat wants electric guitars. :)

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Toys around the appartment and they play with eachother. Don't leave them much alone though but ofc sometimes it is unavoidible.

Also I play with them a lot before so they can sleep much the hours they are on their own. Sometimes I leave the radio on at the usual rock-channel, I think a sphynx is hardcore enough to not having to listen to watered down pop or god forbid techno. A hairless cat wants electric guitars. :)

I love it- hairless cats and electric guitars:LOL:

Gizzymom

Banned
Here is one playing bass... Does that count??

bassbassbass.jpg

:Hysterical::Hysterical::Hysterical:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
We leave it on Animal Channel as long as they aren't doing Animal Rescue marathons or Hoarders, I think those shows are sometimes depressing. Other wise they watch cartoons.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My kitties don't really play a whole lot with toys. The girls are more of snuggle-babies and Bronx-e like his cat tree and playing with the dogs. They love playing with one another though.. chasing each other around or "beating" each other up.

While we are gone, we ALWAYS leave the TV on and usually a few lights. The lights are mostly for our momma bully. She tends to be a little afraid of the dark. She also had pretty bad separation anxiety. We leave (usually) 2 tv's on. lol i know HOW silly!! Well, the dogs stay in the livingroom so they have a tv on and the kitty usually stay in our master bedroom so we leave that tv on for them. We really don't pick a channel.. sorta, whatever's already on is what they watch :)

I guess you could say "the tv watches my babies" :) - yes, i'm one of THOSE parents :LOL:

I guess you could say "the tv watches my babies" :) - yes, i'm one of THOSE parents :LOL:

As work has been just crazy for me (no less than 58 hours a week the last three weeks in a row and this week, today is my only day off) and hubby been working a lot of OT as well, I just told him earlier I am going to start leaving alight and a TV on for the cats. :LOL::LOL:

If we know we are going to be out longer or overnight, I always leave the TV on for them.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Kris- i work from home... so we go out a few times a week and when we do.. i can't even explain, i MISS my babies!!! it's so sad lol! but really i do.. and i always feel guilty if i forget to leave the tv on. because they are so used to always having someone home. and when we go out of town for dog shows i "hire" my mom to STAY HERE WITH THEM the whole time we are gone lol. If it was just over night sometimes i won't... but if it's a super early morning until super late the next night i'll have her come over. i just cant imagine them being home alone :( although, i'm spoiled with being able to stay home with them all the time :)

When we were last gone just for three nights, I missed my babies soooo bad. I whined to my husband and son each night about how they must think we have abandoned them. Wondering what they were doing, wondering if they could sleep because no one was in the bed at night. I am just pathetic...LOL. Now mind you, my father in law was staying with them when he got done at work. They didn't miss me. They had Grandpa. I just don't like leaving them alone or being away from them for very long.

holly_savage

Banned
Our girls are fairly self sufficient. We both work during the days, but I come home for lunch, so they usually aren't alone for long. They have each other and more than enough toys for 20 kitties! They sleep most of the day away and play when we get home.

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Rupert & Orion have lots of entertainment. They have each other, plus their fur-cat friend Dexter, tons of toys and I also leave the tv on. It bugs me when it is so quiet in the house and I find having the tv on soothes me when I am by myself, so I leave it on for them. :BigSmile:

TotenEngel

Banned
We dont really do holidays but do tend to go away for long weekends, have actually just come back from a weekend of watching lots of electric guitars funnily enough!
We have the best kitty sitter in the world.. she is a good friend of ours who lives just round the corner and has 11 cats of her own, I really cannot express how lucky we are to have her! :D She has even now got a photo album on facebook of our boys... damn her, she always seems to get better pics than we can!

ktate88

Banned
Niles has SO many toys he is occupied. I am in and out for lunch or class so Niles is occupied. I leave the Frolicat on when I leave and he has some other fun interactive toys. He is active early AM at 5--just to get food!-- till 7 or 8 then goes back to bed on the weekends. I assume that is what he does during the week but I leave at 7.

If I will be gone longer I leave the TV on.

I have thought about getting kitty sitter... hmm

She has even now got a photo album on facebook of our boys... damn her, she always seems to get better pics than we can!

I'm "that" pet sitter, too!! I have albums of my "favorites" and regulars on FB and their mom loves when I send her pics when she is away for more than a few days. On holidays I get cards and do nose prints or paw prints of the dogs for her. Oh I miss those ponies :Cry: (Long story but hopefully she will get them back soon. It's been almost 6 months)

eurynome_az

Lairian
Well I guess ours are spoiled, in that someone is always home with them! My husband runs an at-home business and between myself, my husband and our two kids, our cats always have someone's lap to sit on or play with. Of course catnip, a great stratching post, lots of balls and toy mice always help. We try to refresh our toys and stratcher with catnip about 2x a week and they fall in love with their toys all over again. Not to mention, the occasional moth that gets into the house sends the cats into a riotous, leaping antics of "hunting!" Boy can Sphynx cats jump high!

gizmo6370

Banned
The radio plays all day long here...i have 5....so they keep each other busy...lots of toys to play with...scratching posts all through the house...when i leave at night....i leave the lights and radio on for them :Smile:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Boy can Sphynx cats jump high!

Really?
Mine never could. Sure they jump pretty well but I think they tend to be a bit like uncoordinated monkeys :Laugh: That makes them really amusing to watch and I think they like beeing a bit clumsy. Like they almost are on purpouse just to amuze people watching them. Little clowns they are.
My other cats were always better high jumpers though.

I took Darwin shopping for food today by the way, didn't feel like leaving him so he rode it out inside my jacket with his head looking out at everything safelly tucked in in my lap. I'm normally in wheelchair so he sits perfect there. Just a quick stop for some juice and breakfast stuff.
Strange how EVERYONE wants to say hi and feel their skin, love it.
He just loves going places.
Most of the time I leave them both at home though if I need to do something. Thay play and sleep together and if not awake when I come home Darwin is in his carrier sleeping on his fleece blanket and Namir is sleeping in a box he learned how to open and crawl into.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When I'm not home Pedda is on her own. She can sit on the kitty condo and watch the great outdoors or play with one of her kajillion toys scattered around if she gets bored. When Little Ren was alive he could turn the tv and stereo on and off whenever he wanted but that was one thing he never taught Pedda how to do. That's gratitude for ya - and even after she went to all the trouble of teaching him how to drink out of the toilet.

TotenEngel

Banned
hehehe, what an entertaining thread... is turning into how they keep us amused!
Smeagol can jump pretty high, usually to around waist level! :( especialyy when he has missed us like this weekend! My boys are also pretty spoilt in that my husband works from home all the time and I do most of the time
Mine also drink out of the toilet *YUCK* so the toilet seat is kept down all the time, hate it when someone visits who doesn't know this!!

Shell_Baby

Lairian
I set up a bird feeding station right outside the window for the kitty. She chirps and chatters every time the birds are close. It's too funny! It keeps her entertained when she's home alone! :ThumbsUp:

Back