Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How do you lookup complaints against a breeder/cattery?

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Hello everyone,

With all the talk and advice being given to some of those on this site, I was just wondering for them and myself, how do you successfully search for good reviews and or complaints against a cattery or breeder and verify those good reviews and or complaints are without doubt true?

I'm a trust but verify type of girl. :Smile:
Thanks

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am not for sure how to get to all this info myself. When I got my first sphynx, I looked up the breeders name and cattery name on google to see if anything popped up. It did not so I assumed I was safe, little did I know that I was not!! The next time, I really check things out and called some people that had bought kittens off of her. I also researched anything I could find out about her on the different search engines. This turned out well, so I went with it and Lemmy is here doing fine today. I am still curious if there was anything else I could have done.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I've done some searches but have found nothing positive nor negative. I'm very happy with my breeder and my Sphynx but I always hear everyone talk about doing research and if I ever go for another kitty and happen to not be able to get one from my current breeder I wanted to know how to check things out and I thought it would be helpful to the others as well. Thanks

susi794

Staff member
The only way I know is to google (and any other search engine available to you) the cattery name and the name of the owner to see if there are any rip-off reports filed against them. If so, talk to the breeder and level with them about what you read about them and ask for an explanation--if it rings true to you, then fine--if not, then find another breeder. I agree about finding other people who bought from that breeder--but the breeder is only going to give you contact information about happy clients. Go to internet sales sites like kijiji, etc. unhappy people post about breeder issues there all the time.

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm not too sure about a list, but there is always the rule of..."If it's too good to be true, it probably is" I know thats not much help, but it's a good rule all the same ;)

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
CFA lists some of the bad breeders on thier site.
I saw it for TICA before also.
There was breeder I was going to get a sphynx from before Wrinkles.
Thank God I did not get from her because she told me a bunch of lies and the poor sphynx that this other breeder got might have HCM now.
The breeder was so mad at me when I backed out last summer.
She does not scan or have a health guarantee.
I am looking for a 3rd sphynx and being very careful.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Trust your instincts too. If your gut feeling is that they are not being 100% with you, then look elsewhere.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would google cattery and owners name or names. And yes trust your instinct, email and call!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Thank you everyone! The main reason I asked is because before I found the Lair I was all on my own and NEVER bought from a breeder before. All of my previous purebreds have been from Shelters or Pet Stores who worked with local Humane Society's. Anyhow I didn't know how to look up this information and therefore I didn't. She gave me names and numbers of previous people who bought but I never called because I knew they would have rave reviews, so I went on total instinct. Luckily, the breeder and I hit it off right from the start (I wasn't as fortunate with a few others, snotty people in this world, not personable at all!!!!) and I'm a good people reader and I got good vibes from her immediatley. She did inform me of one disgruntled customer due to a lack of the buyers knowledge on the Sphynx breed and she declawed the kitty after the breeder told her not too and of course it turned out badly. :( And I've done research and found ZERO bad things about my breeder. So its all good - I just want to be informed for when I can finally convince my boyfriend to get another one!!! (Incase my breeder doesn't have any available at the time of course!) LOL

Back