Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How Does Your Sphynx Cat Fuzz Work

Rachlp

Lairian
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get everyone’s opinion and experiences about your sphynx babies hair or fuzz as I call it.

Donald seemed to have barely any and now he is developing more fuzz everyday and I just wanted to know do they develop fuzz during different seasons or for different reasons such as grow spurts or anything like that and is it the case they will loose it as they become and adult or is it completely random and unknown and is another amazing mystery as is the sphynx lol.

Also would love to see some pics of different fuzz on your babies.

Thanks for all your opinions, I love hearing the different experiences!

Here is Donald’s new fuzz

Attachments

• 7C137D99-0DC4-4CBA-A366-01272AD14388.jpeg
    7C137D99-0DC4-4CBA-A366-01272AD14388.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 370CEAB2-8AFE-441A-BF2B-EC6ED3E0E49C.jpeg
    370CEAB2-8AFE-441A-BF2B-EC6ED3E0E49C.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 44

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm loving Donald's fuzz; it's adorable! Some sphynx grow fuzz during the colder months, some have permanent fuzz and others never seem to grow any fuzz at all. Rankle is one of the latter. He can't even grow a whisker; as soon as one starts coming through it snaps off. Doesn't seem to bother him at all though.

Misty Lee 123

Lairian
D943786B-9F0F-44E6-9A86-A5182C5C1C9B.jpeg
5AA100D7-79ED-4A4D-8E22-AB8AF66067A7.jpeg
His fuzz is gorgeous! So fine.
Misty was pretty bald when we first got her in a warm place, so we were very surprised when we moved to a cold climate to see her tail sprout fur! She also fluffed up around her paws and nose, but no whiskers to speak of. I’m very curious to see if she loses the fur when summer rolls around. Here are pre and post fuzz pix:

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Where I stay the exterior tempreture has dropped by more than 10 degrees the interior temperature has dropped by 2 degrees and already I can see fuzz growing on his hind legs about a quarter of your babies length I have but on his clothing to keep him warm and have the AC set at 27 degrees inside. This is my little ones second winter.
He did loose it all in summer.
It is time to get his winter wardrobe out
He maybe feeling the cold so get him warm. I have heating pads on in the house 24/7 already and extra little fleece blankets for him on the hard surfaces he sits on.
My man has a wardrobe even Paris Hilton will be proud of. His fuzz already appears to be less than last year this time.
He always has a fuzzy ( more a fine peach skin fuzz) on his nose, ears and a little on his tail even in winter

Rachlp

Lairian
Thank you for the article @Catzzzmeow ill be sure to read that right away.

I’ve been doing a bit more research as I’m learning that Russian Spyhnx - which is technically called the Donskoy has a different coat structure as the hairless gene is a different gene mutation between the Russian and Canadian and therefore it makes their coats different.

For those that are interested The canadian spyhnx hairless gene is recessive meaning both parents must carry the gene to produce naked kittens but the Donskoy is dominant so only one parent needs the gene which can therefore produce some different types of coats. It says they can normally have fuzz (it’s super cute gone and curly) but mostly all Donskoy are completely bald by 3. The same gene is responsible for the differing face structure.

Thanks for everyone’s help and opinions, I always love to read

Rens

Lairian
oh goodness Donald is so fuzzy! that's adorable♥
I didn't know it was possible haha.

my girl Saoirse got a little fuzzy tail and nose but I assumed it's normal.
she does have a tiny tiny patch of longer fuzz on her side which looks very silly

Rachlp

Lairian
@Rens aaww thank you, to be honest I didn’t know it was possible either until it happened but then I researched the hairless gene mutation for the Russian version and it is different to the Canadian version which means they can have four types of coat, including fuzz lol.

It’s funny, when you bath him, the fuzz feels so soft and blows in the wind but apparently it’s common that it will go before he is fully grown. So will be interesting to see.

How adorable is the fuzzy nose and tail and that your beautiful girl Saoirse has a random patch on one side, would love to see pics, I can never see too many pics lol.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Cleopatra is 10 years old and came to us with fuzzy face, ears feet, and legs, as well as her tail. By the time she was 2, she also had what we called her pathetic cape of patchy hair on her back and sides, and a bumfro, which was the cutest Afro at the base of her tail. We were living in the desert at the time, so the bumfro came in every winter. Now we live in a much colder and wetter climate, and the bum fro has practically disappeared, and the cape is much sparser. I have no idea why the changes.
1020661C-2115-4322-93E3-500D2563CB6D.jpeg
15D8B0F0-57AA-4C08-BE64-4EC7AB465BA8.jpeg

Rachlp

Lairian
@Cleopatra Beers oh wow, yes I see Cleopatras cute fuzzy tail and face, isn’t she just adorable and I hope I age as gracefully lol.

I’m thinking the same about Donald he will definitely keep his full tail and face fuzz just unsure about his full fuzz he has developed, I read it should disappear by the time he turns 3, if it is still there then it’s staying fuzz lol

Rens

Lairian
@Rens aaww thank you, to be honest I didn’t know it was possible either until it happened but then I researched the hairless gene mutation for the Russian version and it is different to the Canadian version which means they can have four types of coat, including fuzz lol.

It’s funny, when you bath him, the fuzz feels so soft and blows in the wind but apparently it’s common that it will go before he is fully grown. So will be interesting to see.

How adorable is the fuzzy nose and tail and that your beautiful girl Saoirse has a random patch on one side, would love to see pics, I can never see too many pics lol.

it's so interesting! :D

I tried to take some pics but it's hard to capture since it's such a tiny whisp of hair haha.
but you can see her fuzzy tail tip here too.
and in the second pic you can see her fuzzy white nose rly well ♥

Attachments

• 20211002_101939.jpg
    20211002_101939.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210921_083329.jpg
    20210921_083329.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 27

Rachlp

Lairian
@Rens oh yes I can see hee hee, is that just adorable, it’s just gorgeous to see how much they all differ. Her nose squished up is just to precious. Donald’s back looks so fuzzy in comparison lol, can’t wait to watch him grow but at the same time I’m like you are already turning six months, it’s going to fast

Back