Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How far in advance did breeder inform you of pick up/drop off date (gotcha day)?

starknaked

Lairian
Thanks in advance for your help on this! I'm starting to get a little anxious, ready to nest hard to start preparing for my kitten haha.

I’ve had a deposit on my kitten born on 1/12. The breeder mentioned she’d send the cats to their new homes between 14-16 weeks, which would bring us to mid-April (14 weeks would bring us to April 20th to be exact). She’s let me know the cat is healthy after a vet visit last week but still has yet to nail down a date. I’d like to take some time off to help the cat acclimate to his new home but I also don’t wanna bother my breeder. To be honest, I kind of expected 4 weeks/month notice or some sort of update as we head into the new month and are about 4 weeks out from the kitten being 14 weeks old, but maybe I am asking for too much (please tell me if I am and should continue to be patient haha).

How far in advance was a date nailed down if you dealt with a breeder?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Most good breeders do not share a firm gotcha date until they feel the kittens are truly in good health and they have had their vaccinations/ no side effects. We see some members upset their kitten got a URI and dates were pushed back, but a good breeder does not want to send a kitten to a new home until they feel they are ready. Stress of going to a new home can trigger URIs in the healthiest of kittens so a good breeder wants to give the green light only when they feel as confident as possible. My breeder shared after second round of shots if I recall and she felt all was clear.

starknaked

Lairian
Most good breeders do not share a firm gotcha date until they feel the kittens are truly in good health and they have had their vaccinations/ no side effects. We see some members upset their kitten got a URI and dates were pushed back, but a good breeder does not want to send a kitten to a new home until they feel they are ready. Stress of going to a new home can trigger URIs in the healthiest of kittens so a good breeder wants to give the green light only when they feel as confident as possible. My breeder shared after second round of shots if I recall and she felt all was clear.
This makes a lot of sense. I'll just deal with my excitement and trust she'll reach out to me when she feels they are actually ready to go. I do want him to be super healthy, so best to wait.

Thank you very much for the additional color

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Marcus’ breeder told us when we put the deposit down that we could get him at 12-14 weeks old. She then called us after his shots and neuter (I know, many people don’t neuter males until 6 months, but this gave the breeder control of the neuter clause in the contract) at 12 weeks and we picked him up the next weekend.
Remember, you are paying the breeder a lot for this kitten, so don’t be afraid of calling to try to get at least a tentative date set. Let the breeder know you need to arrange your schedule, and he or she should be willing to work with you on this.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
To piggyback on @Cleopatra Beers I know with COVID it can be harder to get vet visits and most breeders have in their contracts you need to take your kitten for a wellness check within a couple of days of getting them. You might inquire for a possible date so you can try to schedule a wellness check. Then you are not being pushy, but truly setting your baby up for a healthy start. @starknaked

starknaked

Lairian
Marcus’ breeder told us when we put the deposit down that we could get him at 12-14 weeks old. She then called us after his shots and neuter (I know, many people don’t neuter males until 6 months, but this gave the breeder control of the neuter clause in the contract) at 12 weeks and we picked him up the next weekend.
Remember, you are paying the breeder a lot for this kitten, so don’t be afraid of calling to try to get at least a tentative date set. Let the breeder know you need to arrange your schedule, and he or she should be willing to work with you on this.
This is super helpful, thank you!

starknaked

Lairian
To piggyback on @Cleopatra Beers I know with COVID it can be harder to get vet visits and most breeders have in their contracts you need to take your kitten for a wellness check within a couple of days of getting them. You might inquire for a possible date so you can try to schedule a wellness check. Then you are not being pushy, but truly setting your baby up for a healthy start. @starknaked
I was just thinking of how to best approach this without coming off as pushy. This is perfect, thank you so much!

starknaked

Lairian
Update: she responded to my email and let me know that she can't predict and exact date just yet (she is expecting mid-late April) but she said she can give me 3 weeks of notice so I can work out my schedule and find a vet appointment. He is just under 2 pounds now and she wants him to be at 3 before she sends him to his forever home. He also just got his first round of shots, so there's another round left and another vet check on her end before she can give the green light. Thank you all so much for your help. I feel much better now knowing what the timeline looks like from this point moving forward.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@starnaked so happy your breeder responded and she sounds like she is truly looking out for the litter and setting them up for success. I know all too well how excited and anxious we get waiting for Gotcha Day. It felt like forever each time lol. But you have us to help you wait it out.

starknaked

Lairian
Thank you! Happy Easter and Passover to those of you celebrating today!

Attachments

• F8666D74-933F-4767-8739-E620F254DF92.jpeg
    F8666D74-933F-4767-8739-E620F254DF92.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 17

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks @Catzzzmeow Patti! I’d forgotten about the all-important vet visit. We were able to take Marcus to our vet on the way home from the breeder, and Cleo saw the vet on the Monday after we got her on a Saturday.
@starknaked Where we live now, vets haven’t been allowing owners into the offices—they meet you at the door, take your animal, and then return the animal after the exam. So it may be better to wait a bit longer for your kitten, because I would definitely want to be there for the exam, and so any questions I had could be answered.

starknaked

Lairian
Thanks @Catzzzmeow Patti! I’d forgotten about the all-important vet visit. We were able to take Marcus to our vet on the way home from the breeder, and Cleo saw the vet on the Monday after we got her on a Saturday.
@starknaked Where we live now, vets haven’t been allowing owners into the offices—they meet you at the door, take your animal, and then return the animal after the exam. So it may be better to wait a bit longer for your kitten, because I would definitely want to be there for the exam, and so any questions I had could be answered.
Ahh yes, very good point. From speaking with my friends, I think the same can be said of NY. Right now, they are only allowing animals into the offices. It looks like she won't have a chance to neuter him, so I guess I will be making an appointment for that as well. How long should I wait to get that set up? I know they say before 6 months but I also don't want to overstimulate him with a bunch of changes at once. Maybe give him a month at home before doing anything?

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
As long as you neuter him by about 6 months, you should not have to worry about spraying and other hormonal behavior. So waiting a month or two after bringing him home wouldn’t hurt. We do have a vet who visits us, so you might want to see if there’s one in your area. Our vet has brought us meds and supplements, but I don’t know if he’s doing in-home visits yet.

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh my hat. I am so excited for you. I am so glad you kept us updated. You must be so relieved and giddy at the same time. I don’t think I would be able to sleep with the excitement.

You’re going to be a mommy!!!!

Back