Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How is everyones summer going?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it would be neat if we all shared what we have been up to this summer and what we have planned to do before it is over!
Admin and I have been crazy busy but mostly good busy.

Me and a girlfriend took the kids to an amusement park in conn. called Lake Com pounce that was fun and we had a great day but the ride was not so good, we thought it would be about 3 hours and it ended up taking us 5:Sweat:
We had admins sister and her husband, 3 kids along with his mom stay with us in the beginning of July and that was a blast. His sister lives in Indiana so we only see them once a year. The kids are 6, 4 and 18 months so with our youngest being 12 having little ones around was a lot of fun. (Not that we are thinking about more, we are almost home free) just enjoying spoiling them was great! We cooked on the grill a lot and hung out by the pool. One day we took them to the Jersey shore the kids never saw the ocean and they just loved the boardwalk.

I did another day trip to the beach with my girlfriend and all the kids, had a nice day and the kids stalked the Jersey shore mtv house.

Spent one night in the er with our son because he cut himself and had to get 6 stitches.

Have been spending a lot of time in the pool and trying to work as least as I can. The kids have had friends sleeping over a lot, I don't mind that because I know where they are.

In August we are headed to ocean city Maryland for a week, my dad and little brother (16) and his mom are going with us. We love it there and always have a blast.

I took Leo in the pool with me, I was floating on a raft and put him on my lap, well lets just say it was not his favorite but he dealt with it.

Hope you all are enjoying your summer, and we would love to hear all about it!

We also want to go to the zoo one of these not so hot days and take a day and walk around NYC.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think everyone knows how my summer is going so I won't go into it again. But I'm bound and determined to get back on my feet.

You're one lucky lady. Spending days out by the pool and at the beach is my dream. I used to spend literally all day sitting by the pool and sipping beers. Some of my best memories are sitting in Cancun on the beach or at the pool with lots of friends laughing and cutting up. I miss those days.

In the immortal words of Gloria Gaynor, I will survive!

wundrlust

Lairian
I have to admit I've had enough of the heat and humidity! Who needs to move to Florida when Florida weather has moved into the Midwest?

One very good thing that has happen this summer is that I got a new job!!! I had been in the Transportation Field (freight) for numeous years and really wanted a change. With so many people out of work the opportunity to find a employer that is willing to train was slim to none. I did find someone that saw my potential and is willing to develope it ....I am now selling Volkswagons!!!!! The GM at the dealership, the other managers and the sales associates have been very helpful. This is a wonderful new opportunity for me.

A new door has open and I am extremely grateful!!!!

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have been working 60 hour weeks & missing my kitties!! I'm saving to buy a tiny cabin in the woods and with these crazy work hours, have managed to sock away a down payment. :ThumbsUp: I had an offer in on one, but lost it... Because I'm looking in a very specific area, it's like a needle in a haystack but I know it's out there somewhere!

Haven't had much of a chance to do anything fun yet. This last week we've had tons of rain & my basement got flooded. I spent last weekend mopping up & tearing out carpet. This weekend will be spent scraping mildew off the walls & repainting--ICK!!

Good news, though--the first week in August I get a whole week of vacation:ThumbsUp: I am renting a cabin with my twin sister & our best friend (yes, we share one haha), who we only get to see a couple times a year. Should be a blast!!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I think everyone knows how my summer is going so I won't go into it again. But I'm bound and determined to get back on my feet.

You're one lucky lady. Spending days out by the pool and at the beach is my dream. I used to spend literally all day sitting by the pool and sipping beers. Some of my best memories are sitting in Cancun on the beach or at the pool with lots of friends laughing and cutting up. I miss those days.

In the immortal words of Gloria Gaynor, I will survive!

You will get there again I just know it! And when you do admin and I want your first beer to be on us!:ThumbsUp:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I have to admit I've had enough of the heat and humidity! Who needs to move to Florida when Florida weather has moved into the Midwest?

One very good thing that has happen this summer is that I got a new job!!! I had been in the Transportation Field (freight) for numeous years and really wanted a change. With so many people out of work the opportunity to find a employer that is willing to train was slim to none. I did find someone that saw my potential and is willing to develope it ....I am now selling Volkswagons!!!!! The GM at the dealership, the other managers and the sales associates have been very helpful. This is a wonderful new opportunity for me.

A new door has open and I am extremely grateful!!!!

Oh yes it has been humid :Sweat: On the news they said it could go into November :Woo:
Congrats on the new job.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I have been working 60 hour weeks & missing my kitties!! I'm saving to buy a tiny cabin in the woods and with these crazy work hours, have managed to sock away a down payment. :ThumbsUp: I had an offer in on one, but lost it... Because I'm looking in a very specific area, it's like a needle in a haystack but I know it's out there somewhere!

Haven't had much of a chance to do anything fun yet. This last week we've had tons of rain & my basement got flooded. I spent last weekend mopping up & tearing out carpet. This weekend will be spent scraping mildew off the walls & repainting--ICK!!

Good news, though--the first week in August I get a whole week of vacation:ThumbsUp: I am renting a cabin with my twin sister & our best friend (yes, we share one haha), who we only get to see a couple times a year. Should be a blast!!

What a great goal and how sweet the pay off will be for all the 60 hour weeks!
Stinks about the water that happened to us forever but we finaly put in a pump.
I love that you and sis have the same best friend. very cool.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
We are not usualy this active but I think we have relized that the kids are getting older and want to do as much as we can together before they are to old to want to be with us:Cry:

Bella07

Banned
So far my summer has been filled with a lot of hard work and very boring :ThumbsDown:

We are doing a lot of work around our 100 year old house, including a major kitchen renovation. Once that is done (goal is by August 1st) we are moving on to the rest of the house to paint, sand floors, new dry wall, electricity, renovate our bathrooms, etc! It is so much work, plus a huge drain on our wallets.

I haven't even been able to go to the pool yet! The only thing that I am looking forward to is my family and I may go on vacation to LA for a week or two at the end of August! It's so beautiful there, I really hope we get a chance to (if our budget allows)

I can not wait to sit on the beach, with the warm ocean breeze and the beautiful blue ocean. Ohhh, I really hope we get to go!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
So far my summer has been filled with a lot of hard work and very boring :ThumbsDown:

We are doing a lot of work around our 100 year old house, including a major kitchen renovation. Once that is done (goal is by August 1st) we are moving on to the rest of the house to paint, sand floors, new dry wall, electricity, renovate our bathrooms, etc! It is so much work, plus a huge drain on our wallets.

I haven't even been able to go to the pool yet! The only thing that I am looking forward to is my family and I may go on vacation to LA for a week or two at the end of August! It's so beautiful there, I really hope we get a chance to (if our budget allows)

I can not wait to sit on the beach, with the warm ocean breeze and the beautiful blue ocean. Ohhh, I really hope we get to go!

Oh Bella even if you do not get the well deserved vacation ( I hope you do)
it sure sounds like the house is going to look great when all done. Our house is just as old so I can relate to the hard work. We never quite finished but are happy here.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
:ThumbsUp: What a fun thread! :ThumbsUp:

So far my summer has been eventful to say the least.

My Fiancee had a very intense surgery the last week of June. Surgery went worse then expected, which put a damper on our summer plans. But that's ok, because we are blessed for him to still be with us! (Back story: He was in a near fatal car accident September 2006, this was surgery #12 related to the accident)

We got an email from our adopted kitty's old family, asking if we'd like to adopt their other kitty- "OF COURSE- Thanks for asking!" :) she's a doll! and we love her more then pieces! however, we weren't in the market for a new cat.. and our house is adjusting to the life of 3 kitties.

Fiancee's grandma has a ICD (Defibulator) device implanted from a past incident, however, with the 4th of July in the mix, Grandma has a heart attack, dies at the house, his sister does CPR to get her back, Grandma spends 4 days in the hospital. Has a scope/abalsion done and the Dr punctures thru her vein and through her artery. -follow ups and 2nd opinions still being checked out for internal bleeding and surgery.

My mom thinks it's a GREAT idea to stand on a COMPUTER CHAIR ON WHEELS in the basement to reach something- and you guess it.. FALLS!! EMS is called and scared us kids 1/2 to death.. we all live at least 15 mins away. - thank God, she doesn't break anything, but is BADLY bruised.

Hit a few dog shows, hoping to finish our English Bulldog's championship: WHICH WE DID!!!!! (which i posted about!)
AND we bred her!!!!!!! Dr has seen at least 5 puppies!!! we are so very excited about this news!:Laugh:

Here's where our summer turns fun instead of medical bound

Aug 2-7 Fiancee is taking the boys on their first all-boy camping trip. usually it's a family trip, but sadly i cannot go with we cannot leave our bully pregnant and fiancee's daughter is 13.. and well you know how much 13 yr old teenage girls love camping lol!

Aug 7- Sister's Bachelorette Party!! :) I'm her Maid of Honor! Limo, girly party and bar hopping!

Aug 13- PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!

Aug 15- Family in town from California and Grandma's (not one listed above) 75th Bday party!

Aug 21- SISTER'S WEDDING!! (Family in town from Kentucky!)

Aug 28- MUCH anticipated Block Garage Sale!!!!! (sad i know!)

Early September- Another surgery for Fiancee :(

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Wow klreese :Surprise: I think it is time to wrap your family in bubble wrap!:LOL:
Enjoy all the fun you have planned.
I can not wait to hear about the babies, my girlfriend has one and he comes over and plays with our Delilah all the time. If I did not swear I was not going to ever get another dog I would be knocking on your door when they are born.:Wink:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Admin- we are so very excited! We have decided to keep 1 puppy. and 2 puppies are due back to our breeder (we signed a crappy contract - he saw us coming lol)... so only 2 will be for sale. I'm so nervous about finding them homes. If not- oh well, i'll keep everyone!! - just call my house the zoo!

And yes- bubble wrap please lol

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My summer has been bleh. I finally got tired of fighting the dental problems that come with diabetes and am in the process of getting dentures. Work is slow since most respiratory patients do better in summer than they do in winter. It's just day in, day out for me.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
My summer has been bleh. I finally got tired of fighting the dental problems that come with diabetes and am in the process of getting dentures. Work is slow since most respiratory patients do better in summer than they do in winter. It's just day in, day out for me.

I say it is time for you to go do something nice for yourself!

susi794

Staff member
My summer has been a busy one so far...my principal talked me into accepting a new position at school--I will be a literacy coach this year. The job consists of doing language arts inservice for the staff, working one on one with teachers who don't know how to improve their instruction, and with kids who are significantly behind in their reading. I won't be having a regualr classroom of kids to love and nurture, so am not sure I'm going to like it. But my principal seems to think I was "born for the job" and it is something I am passionate about, so I said I'd give it a year to see if I like it and if I can make a difference for these kids. But have some doubts because I believe my success has come from loving the whole kid, building a relationship with him/her that makes school a safe and nurturing place where you can feel like people believe in you, support you, and truly care about you. For some of these kids, school has NEVER been like that. In my room, it was. Bottom line was that if you were in my room, I loved you. End of story. And once they tested me several times to see if I was just giving them lip service, they loved me back and would try harder than they ever had before. And in my room, we celebrated success. I remember one of my kids with a physical disability finally learned to tie his shoes without help--his physical therapist brought him in and told me he finally did it--the kids heard and gave him a standing ovation! The therapist said how surprised she was by the reaction of the kids in the room and I told her that when kids are surrounded by caring, they care too. I am worried that I will not be able to do that so easily a half hour or hour at a time with kids. But, we'll see. Research shows that in order to be successful, people have to have at least three people that believe in them. I am determined to be one of them. Anyway, that has necessitated moving my room, so I have been trying to pack up my room....can't do much at a time, so it will take me most of the summer.

I've also been doing water aerobics three times a week; am continuing my duties as Chairman of the Board of our local community mental health authority and went to Washington D.C. for that; am going to the symphony in the park tonight with a group of friends from school for a Motown concert; have been trying to keep up with the weeds in my garden and dust and dirt in my house. I've been shopping and spending time with my sister; hiding in the house with the a/c blasting when it's been so horribly hot and humid watching movies and eating popcorn; reading just for fun(wow, how wonderful THAT feels!).
I'm having a lovely summer! I used to travel during the summer more, but my neighbor used to take care of my animal kids while I was gone and she moved away, so it's tough to go much of anywhere with so many animals that need attention. So have learned to love staying home a bit more than I used to. LOL

MikkiJean

Lairian
Well, most of my summer has been spent looking for a job, hanging out by the pool and cuddling with my Louis.

I drove to VA and back to get my Sphynx... but you all know that already.

I have been to three weddings, and am glad they are done with until next May!

I teach with a local band and our band camp started this past monday. Teaching 7:30-4 everyday is exhausting... especially out in the heat. Luckily this week we weren't outside the whole time... next week and the week after will be a different story.

Hopefully I'll be substitute teaching this school year, which is exciting.

Wanting a break from school. I go to school online, year round. While it is online, it's still a lot of work and that paired with teaching is wearing me down.

Today was a half day so we are done now! :ThumbsUp: Lots of time with the kitties over the weekend!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Susi I have to say that I know you love your class room and all the kids all day but I am going to side with the principal. Here is why, our son is dyslexic and struggled with reading forever and finally in 5th grade they gave him a literacy coach and he was reading and comprehending it very quickly. Other teachers have tried this with him but it did not get any where with him he just shut down. My point is that it takes a special person to get through to these kids and to me you sure seem like that kind of person. Our son is now going into his second year of high school and he and I still keep in touch with her, she will always be special to us as he will to her.
Give it a try I think you will like it.

susi794

Staff member
Susi I have to say that I know you love your class room and all the kids all day but I am going to side with the principal. Here is why, our son is dyslexic and struggled with reading forever and finally in 5th grade they gave him a literacy coach and he was reading and comprehending it very quickly. Other teachers have tried this with him but it did not get any where with him he just shut down. My point is that it takes a special person to get through to these kids and to me you sure seem like that kind of person. Our son is now going into his second year of high school and he and I still keep in touch with her, she will always be special to us as he will to her.
Give it a try I think you will like it.

Thanks for the encouragement--I hope I can make a difference for some of these kids too. Your son's literacy coach sounds like she had it together. Good for her! And am so glad for your son!

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well, lets see, my summer has been ok. I "lost" my daughter Memorial day weekend when she went to spend the summer with her grandma. Now we have decided to let her stay for the next school year. My son we left with Grandma about 3 weeks ago, he may stay for the school year as well. Durring all this and my fed up ness with the job I did get. My hubby andI decided it would be best if I move back across the country. (We moved from Florida to Cal. in Feb. now I'm back to florida sincemy old job would take me back).
Jackie has met my daughter at thelast show.
So until thing settle down, I'm in Fla, my hubby is in California. It sucks, but we have ad to do it before... We will get thru this again.
So, not te greatest, but not the worst year either:)

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Susie,,I think its wonderful your trying out this new position!! I remember when I was little, in 3rd grade I had a literacy coach, Mrs. Tyson. I'll never forget her. She helped me so much!! I remember that year I brought my grade up from a F in reading and language arts to B's and every year after that I maintained an "A" in both all the way through highschool!! A half hour a day doesn't seem like much but it works wonders!!

My summer has been filled with watching my boyfriends son while he works, making kitty clothes for your wonderful kitties, looking for a job that pays more than my unemployment and spending time with friends and family.
This past week has been especially busy! OMG...took all 3 of my kids to the neighborhood pool and my boyfriends son cannot swim. Well my kids are half fish and were showing off on how deep they could go etc...next thing I know my boyfriends son is showing them that he can touch in the 4ft area but oops,,he slipped and went out too far,,,next thing I know he has climbed on top of my sons head to keep himself above water. He is ADHD and panic'd. The lifeguards didn't see what was going on so I dived in and saved them. My son had to sit out of the pool for a bit as he swallowed quite a bit of water and was choking. I had to calm myself down, can't say I've ever had the shakes that bad. I think what upset me most was my boyfriends son didn't even apologize and acted as if it wasn't a big deal. Needless to say I'm not taking him swimming with my kids again unless he has swimming lessons. (Also per request of my boyfriend). My son is a very good swimmer but is only 10 yrs old and weighs maybe 60lbs,,he wasn't strong enough to pull my boyfriends son to safety along with himself. It was just crazy madness.
My kids do not currently live with me right now due to a horrid custody battle that has been going on for about 2 years now. However, they have been here all week due to summer vacation and their dad just remarried so he's probably wanting alone time,,but anyhow,,this has given our kids a chance to finally get to spend time together.
There has been nasty comments thrown back n forth, a near fist fight yesterday, attitudes, not wanting to share,,etc. My boyfriends son is a only child and him having to share is killing him. Everything is escalated times 10 with him due to his ADHD. Its been rough,,which is why you haven't seen much of me this past week. I miss you all though and I'm so glad to see most of you are having a awesome summer.
My boyfriends son has left for his moms this weekend so tempers have died down thankfully. I took the kids to a drive in movie tonight but it was rained out and we were unable to stay for the 2nd show..bummer. Oh well,,thats life! lol
Most of my days are spent sitting inside watching the new instant view movies from netflix,,I love it and sitting in the air conditioning. Today it wasn't working too well tho. lol The heat today was a little much for it! LOL

susi794

Staff member
Wow Christina, what an ordeal at the pool! Glad everyone's ok. Sounds like swimming lessons are definitely called for with your BF's son.
Thanks for the encouraging words about being a literacy coach. Maybe it will be ok afterall.
Big hugs,
Susi and the gang

MikkiJean

Lairian
Susi, my little sister is autistic and has a literacy coach at school. The good ones make a huge difference and makes it easier for us to work with her at home. You sound like you would be perfect for the job. And while you may not have "your classroom" you are going to change the lives of some very special kids. I have faith in you that you will be awesome!

Back