Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

how long can females hold it?

apete89

Lairian
Lemon is 9 months old. How long can girls around that age usually go between bathroom breaks? I like to take Lemon places every now and then, but I'm afraid to take her if I'm gone for more than an hour because I don't know how long they can generally hold it.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Not sure on the answer on this one but normally what I do when taking my girls somewhere is before I leave I put them in the litterbox and see if they will go on their own. When they do I give them a treat.
I also have a small litterbox in the floorboard of the back seat of the car so if they need to go they can. They have never used it but I just try to make it a practice to never be out for more than 2 hours at a time.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They can hold it along time.
My Cleo held it all the way from North Carolina to here and so did Polar.
That was over 12 hours.
Wrinkles held it all the here also.
It was about 14 hours.
They also hold it when we go to shows out of our area.
Not once have they gone.
I would take her out.
You can always bring a litter pan and stick it in the carrier with her.

holly_savage

Banned
I'm with mews2much, they can hold it for quite a while. We take the girls out with us soemthimes, to famiy dinners, So it's about 3 hours, and they hold it.
Granted when we get home they bolt for the litter boxes, but I don't think they are too bothered. I think I left dinner early one night to bring the girls home (we are only 15 minutes away) because I could see that Kokka was uncomfortable and kept searching out the corners, usually a good sign that it's litter time!

You know what works well as a makeshift litter box, carry a disposable roasting pan, the foil ones, and a small bag of clean litter with you in your car, that way if you ever needed it while out it would be handy.

apete89

Lairian
chutkun & mews,

She does go every time before we leave (she uses the litterbox after I clean it EVERYTIME without fail, so before I go somewhere I just clean the litterbox), I've tried bringing a little portable litterbox with me before but she isn't impressed.

Your kittys can hold it for 12 hours? that makes me feel better!

apete89

Lairian
I'm with mews2much, they can hold it for quite a while. We take the girls out with us soemthimes, to famiy dinners, So it's about 3 hours, and they hold it.
Granted when we get home they bolt for the litter boxes, but I don't think they are too bothered. I think I left dinner early one night to bring the girls home (we are only 15 minutes away) because I could see that Kokka was uncomfortable and kept searching out the corners, usually a good sign that it's litter time!

You know what works well as a makeshift litter box, carry a disposable roasting pan, the foil ones, and a small bag of clean litter with you in your car, that way if you ever needed it while out it would be handy.

that's a really good idea too! I never really knew the signs of a kitty who needed to go. but that roastingpan/bag of litter idea is really good for emergencies!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Cleo peed for 5 minutes straight when we got home from the airport.
I do not live near the airport either.
The roasting pan sounds like a good idea.

ktate88

Banned
When flying back to FL with Niles he held it from 8am to ~6pm. He did going in the car despite the small makeshift pan I had for him...but I was impressed he held it that long.

Never had an accident since. We go out and about for a few hours at a time, and he has a box at my parents which he visits fairly frequently.

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

What a great idea! :ThumbsUp:

LLevenson

Lairian
Arias is really good about using his box, so he will hold it until he can get to one. We have flown from Boston to San Francisco with horrible head winds so it was a 7.5 hour flight, plus the almost 2 hours we were early plus an hour waiting for luggage and driving home. And he held it the entire time (of course he had had nothing to drink or eat that day, so that helped but still). We will be flying to the east coast for Thanksgiving in a couple of weeks so he will have to hold it for about 7 hours. I just make sure my parents have a litter box set up for him at the house so he can go immediately if he needs to.

On occasions where we have taken him out for the day, I have brought a small litter box and had it in the floorboard of the car. After a couple of hours if I notice he looks uncomfortable, I take him out to the car. He hops right in and pees in his box. He really had to go though so I think at that point he wouldn't have cared where the box was, he just needed to go! the roasting pan is a great idea!

holly_savage

Banned
Oh I just remembered the funny story from when I went to pickup Hibou. The breeder left her house at 7am...met me at the airport an hour later, 2 flights and 5 cancellations later, I finally landed in Buffalo @ 630 pm!
3 day snow storm at home, so I grabbed a hotel room and spent the night. I had brought a litter pan and litter and it was waiting for us in the car so I brought it into the hotel room. Set everything up, put her in the litter pan, but nothing. I kept putting her back there several times that evening and the next morning, but again, nothing...I was a little concerned, but as I am packing up all my stuff, made one last trip to the car that was running in the parking lot (it was frigid temperatures outside) and when I get back in the room, I see Hibou on the bed, she looks at me and proceeds to pee right there on the bedspread!!!:Sweat::Sweat::Sweat:

She peed more than an adult would have! The pee spot was massive! Poor little thing had held it in all that time...over 24 hours! Iguess the hotel made use of my $40 pet fee that day! I felt bad, but what are you gonna do right?

So I cleaned up as best I could, bundled up Hibou into her carrier and went out to the car...I no sooner had the door closed on my side, then she decides to poo in her carrier, then step in it and then smear it all over me and my sweater as I am trying to get her out to clean it up. Well I was just happy I had brought some wet wipes, but darn it all if I didn't spend the next 6 hours driving in a wind and snow storm with the oh so lovely scent of feline feces in my car!

What a trip I tell ya...it's a good thing I loved her even before I saw her!

apete89

Lairian
Oh I just remembered the funny story from when I went to pickup Hibou. The breeder left her house at 7am...met me at the airport an hour later, 2 flights and 5 cancellations later, I finally landed in Buffalo @ 630 pm!
3 day snow storm at home, so I grabbed a hotel room and spent the night. I had brought a litter pan and litter and it was waiting for us in the car so I brought it into the hotel room. Set everything up, put her in the litter pan, but nothing. I kept putting her back there several times that evening and the next morning, but again, nothing...I was a little concerned, but as I am packing up all my stuff, made one last trip to the car that was running in the parking lot (it was frigid temperatures outside) and when I get back in the room, I see Hibou on the bed, she looks at me and proceeds to pee right there on the bedspread!!!:Sweat::Sweat::Sweat:

She peed more than an adult would have! The pee spot was massive! Poor little thing had held it in all that time...over 24 hours! Iguess the hotel made use of my $40 pet fee that day! I felt bad, but what are you gonna do right?

So I cleaned up as best I could, bundled up Hibou into her carrier and went out to the car...I no sooner had the door closed on my side, then she decides to poo in her carrier, then step in it and then smear it all over me and my sweater as I am trying to get her out to clean it up. Well I was just happy I had brought some wet wipes, but darn it all if I didn't spend the next 6 hours driving in a wind and snow storm with the oh so lovely scent of feline feces in my car!

What a trip I tell ya...it's a good thing I loved her even before I saw her!

OH MAN! that stinks (literally). that reminds me of when I first brought Lemon home. I repeatedly put her in her little box so she knew where it was, but she never went. The next morning she peed on my couch! I finally figured out that she didn't go in the litter box because she didn't know what it was (it was one of those big kid litter boxes with the cover on top). The breeder had been using one of those kitten litter boxes with her, and with all the stress of being in a new place she was confused. I ended up buying her a kitten litter box and she never had a mistake again!