Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

how long for contacting breeders

CameronRed

Lairian
So theres a breeder near me who looks reputable to me (though i'd love if i could pm someone more experienced to check) and who also has a section on their website for retired breeders, though there are no adults or kittens available at the moment. I'm wondering how long before Gotcha Day time you should be in contact with the breeder. I have a kinda brief window for actual Gotcha Day (about a monthish in late spring) so I know contacting someone like two weeks before wouldn't be good. But, how early is too early? Especially if i won't be able to commit until the middle of April or so, when I commit to a college. I'm looking to go through this process as independent from my parents as possible (I turn 18 in february) so I'd like to be the one to reach out to the breeder and get to know them & vice versa. I wouldn't reach out at all until I'm no longer a minor at minimum, btw.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CameronRed imho it's never too early to contact a breeder to get to know them and their cattery and upcoming litters or retirees.
I contacted a reputable breeder and we chatted for months before my Gotcha day retiree... there is often a wait/interview list for kittens and or retirees. all parties want to make sure it's a purrfect fit :)
when I adopted my retiree , I got lots of pics videos and updates like a new kitten purchase. she also spayed her and waited for her hormones to settle before I brought her home.. she was raised underfoot and such a loving velcro cuddle bug.. she came HCM scanned, fully vetted and spayed with llots of extra goodies... we stay in touch for years after gotcha day

ask questions about their cattery, do they regularly HCM scan, do other tests, raised kitties underfoot etc.
the reputable breeder thread has good info to prep for you calls.

I also google the cattery name on complaint boards to look for patterns,and their phone number, names , to see if they breed lots of other breeds and or dogs too.
I personally like to stick with a reputable breeder that is sphynx specific ..just my thing..

CameronRed

Lairian
@Yoda mom oh the cattery near me is actually sphynx only! they scan for hcm, raise kittens in their own home, dna test, invite visitation, have an instagram that's frequently updated, are listed on the TICA website, have the prefix, even won best in a show category!

so, if there's never too early... do you think they'd mind me reaching out informally to introduce myself? they have an actual inquiry form that I don't want to do yet, but I could contact the instagram.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CameronRed feel free to PM the cattery name :)
I am not that familiar how IG works ... the sphynxlair is really my only social media,

you could give a call to introduce yourself ..keep in mind they are often very busy with caring for their babies, vet visits, cat shows, etc.
so often they do use the contact form... you could fill out the contact form with an introduction inquiring for the best time to call and chat sphynx :)

Sheldon13

Staff member
It never hurts to contact early. Even if you are contacting way ahead of time you aren’t making a commitment, just feeling things out.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I would contact them now already and explain what your plans are. This way they can tell you what is possible for them, you can maybe visit them and meet their cats. The breeder will see you take this cery serious and you can see if you feel allright with the breeder.

You can always ask experienced members from your area here if they want to pm you to help you if you want

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Every stage of getting as new baby is suer exciting...enjoy your journey. For us, the worst part was waiting until they were born, choosing one (so hard) and worse yet waiting for Gotcha Day lol.

CuryC

Lairian
I'd say contact as soon as you can!
Keep us all updated and hopefully you can have your baby to go through school with you <3

Sheldon13

Staff member
Baby steps! It’s a good sign. You want a breeder that questions you as much as you question them and kinda makes you “earn” Sphynx parenthood.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Last edited:

ridleone

Lairian
So theres a breeder near me who looks reputable to me (though i'd love if i could pm someone more experienced to check) and who also has a section on their website for retired breeders, though there are no adults or kittens available at the moment. I'm wondering how long before Gotcha Day time you should be in contact with the breeder. I have a kinda brief window for actual Gotcha Day (about a monthish in late spring) so I know contacting someone like two weeks before wouldn't be good. But, how early is too early? Especially if i won't be able to commit until the middle of April or so, when I commit to a college. I'm looking to go through this process as independent from my parents as possible (I turn 18 in february) so I'd like to be the one to reach out to the breeder and get to know them & vice versa. I wouldn't reach out at all until I'm no longer a minor at minimum, btw.
I'm in a similar situation, as I turned 18 recently and am looking to adopt a sphynx to keep me company when I go to college. Good luck on your search!!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I moved in with some girls in college that had a cat...she was a little calico that loved to escape whenever you opened the door. Then she would run away when you tried to catch her. She was a kitten so get ready if you get a kitten. Also I remember her litter box was in the closet we used as our pantry, so when you went to get food you got a whiff of the stinky litter box. Good times though :0

Back