Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How long 'til they used the Litter Robot?

LLevenson

Lairian
How long did it take your kitties to use the Litter Robot? Mine arrived yesterday (yay!) and I got it all set up. Arias has investigated it--climbed in when there was no litter in there, but now he won't go in since he saw it rotate. I tuned to the section in the manual about how to get your cats to use it, and it says that you shouldn't turn it on until after they have started using it. Great, they tell you that on PAGE 9! When on PAGE 3 they tell you to fill it with litter and let it go through a cycle! Arias obviously saw that happen. Now he seems hesitant b/c he saw it move. My hubby tells me that it has only been 1 day and that he will figure it out, but now I am worried that I did some sort of irreparable damage and he will forever be scared of the thing!

I have it located where his old covered box was, but his old box is next to it. They recommend not scooping the old box so he will eventually want to use the new one. Any other suggestions? I'm sure the answer is "give it more time" but I was just looking for any other tips. Should I remove the old box and give him only the litter robot as an option? seems kinda mean to do that to the little guy...

Inferno12

Banned
I had the EXACT same problem with Johnny. I had to just take his old litter box away and he was forced to use it and he was fine after that. I thought I had ruined him too. He started to just stand on it and come back to watch it when it rotated :Dizzy::Dizzy:. Once I took the box away he had no problems. I think it left the old litter box for a about 4 days before I finally just took it. None of my other cats have had an issue with it. In fact, Diego prefers to use the litter robot instead of the litter box I have in our room for him.

Good luck!

susi794

Staff member
I let the litterbox get really gross and they still used it half the time--I finally took the other one away, then they started using the Litter Robot.

Nair Bare

Lairian
I moved all their food and water right next to the Litter Robot. Once they associated the goodies with the presence of the Litter Robot, they were not so afraid of it. I would often cycle the LR while they were eating and drinking so they would become familiar with its' workings. Also putting a night-light behind the bubble allowed them to see into the dark cave and not be so concerned with the dark hole of rotating terror.

There was a time or two when I discovered a hasty dropped stream of poo when someone must have jumped into the tunnel without tripping the safety switch and it started turning with a cat inside. I just readjusted the settings to make it more sensitive and no more frantic dashing/dribbling was noticed.

LLevenson

Lairian
thanks for the input! I think I will give him another couple of days and then pull up his old box. It will probably depend how long I can go smelling a dirty box :Dizzy: Knowing I am not alone in that line of thinking helps-- just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a mean mommy by taking away the box he was used to!

I really wish that they mentioned the "let them get used to it first THEN turn it on" on the 1st page, not page 9! Come on people! But i am sure once Arias is cool with the whole situation, I won't care any more!!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There was a time or two when I discovered a hasty dropped stream of poo when someone must have jumped into the tunnel without tripping the safety switch and it started turning with a cat inside. I just readjusted the settings to make it more sensitive and no more frantic dashing/dribbling was noticed.
I don't have a litter robot but for some perverse reason I laughed myself silly when I read this!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I am sure they will get used to it. But the page 9 thing cracked me up :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just got a 2nd litter robot. It took about 2 weeks to get them used to it. I ended up locking them in the bathroom with it so it was really their only option. At first Jack would just poop on the floor, but that only lasted 2 times. The two new cats I have took to the litter robot first. I did have a 2nd regular box in the house, but it is now gone and 2 robots. Things seem to be going well.