How much beef liver can I safely feed my raw-eating cat? | Sphynxlair

How much beef liver can I safely feed my raw-eating cat?

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cats & Raw Diet' started by zindaginha, Feb 18, 2018.

1. zindaginha

zindaginhaLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $668.42
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi alls,

Asterix is 10 months, has lived with me for about a month now and is doing great.

He came to me with serious food allergies and I had to promise his breeder that I would feed him raw either till such time as it was sure that he had outgrown his allergies or else, failing that, forever. He is an accomplished food thief so sometimes steals junk food, in which case he will break out in red spots all over his body and very nasty looking ulcers in his ears. I live in a vegetarian co-op and we're basically junk-food free, so he's only had one minor allergy outbreak since coming to live with me.

The breeders makes her own food, but recommended Darwins (over Rad Cat, which is local to me and which she used to feed the cats, but because it doesn't contain bonemeal, prefers Darwin's). I've been feeding him both Darwin's and Rad Cat, because he briefly had an outbreak of diarhea which I think came from the bone meal in Darwin's, so now I alternate back and forth and he's had no problems.

My question is this: I have a beef liver in my deep freeze that I got as part of a beefshare. Frankly, I'm not going to be eating this. How much can I give to my cat? Both Rad and Darwin include liver in their formulas, so I don't want to over do it with liver, since I know too much Vitamin A can be toxic. But how much is too much? I ended up giving him two 2" by 2" pieces today and yesterday. I fear that was too much. Could I give him like an 1"X1" piece a week? Sorry, I don't know weights.

Thanks for any advice!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hugs Hugs x 1

• Sheldon13

Sheldon13V.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $26,395.41
      Ratings:
      +2,827
      • Yellow Sphynx
      I personally would not feed an organs-only meal more than twice weekly. That’s just an opinion, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
      • Toa and Ross

Toa and RossGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
        $189,309.39
        Ratings:
        +16,519
        Don't know about liver only meals but I do know they say that it's better to feet your cat fish not more then once a week. Maybe I think too simple but I would think the same for liver?

• Roki

RokiLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $2,681.40
        Ratings:
        +242
        • Xmas sphynx
        I think the fish recommendation might be because because of potential mercury toxicity, in ocean-going fish, that is (ex. tuna & such)?

Not sure about the beef liver frequency, but yes, it does have a lot of vitamin A.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• TheZu

TheZuLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $1,033.34
        Ratings:
        +159
        • Orange Sphynx
        • Lady bug
        I believe the concern with Fish is because it lacks vitamin e- feed too much fish without supplement they can become deficient. If it's a concern, I'd keep it to one-two fish meals a week and you can add vitamin e supplements for piece of mind if you'd like. They can't overdose on vitamin e.

• Condo commando

Condo commandoV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $14,088.60
        Ratings:
        +1,052
        Hmmmm....organ meat should be no more than 10% of the diet. Maybe you could spread it out one meal every 10 days or something like that.

• celsei

celseiSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $2,527.55
        Ratings:
        +863
        • Black Sphynx
        • Orange Sphynx
        They will get runny and dark colored poop if they're eating too much liver, that'll happen way before any toxicity concerns so you'll know. A few times a week should be fine, just don't give too much at once. If you want to balance it out add some plain muscle meat to it.

• Like Like x 1
        • zindaginha

zindaginhaLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
          $668.42
          Ratings:
          +25
          Thanks, everybody! I chopped the liver up and froze it, so give him a little frozen treat once every other week or so.

• Like Like x 1