Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How much do your Sphynx eat?

holly_savage

Banned
Just a quick question for everyone out there, how much food do you feed your Sphynx. When I got Hibou from the breeders she said that she eats 2 cans of Fancy Feast and free range dry food per day.

Now, at almost 7 months of age (she weighs 6.7 lbs) she'll gladly eat 3-4 small cans a day plus about a cup of dry food or more...

Is this too much, or should I let her decide when she's full? I don't want to starve her, but I don't want her to be overweight either.

ANy advice is welcome.

Holly:Dizzy:

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mug-Y had two small cans a day and dry food available all day but sometimes still moaned for more so I've now upped it to 2 1/2 cans a day...he seems more happy with this...although the vet now calls him 'chunky'!

X

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I leave dry out all day and 1 can of moist every morning. Snuggles is 5 months and 5 1/2 lbs..:ThumbsUp:

PitRottMommy

Banned
It's safe to let your cat eat their fill until about 8 months of age, at which point the food needs to be cut back into a normal range.

Most female sphynx weigh between 5 and 8 pounds
Males usually weigh between 7 and 11 pounds

I've found that many European bred sphynx are larger than American sphynx (likely because Devon Rexes were used in breeding, a much more petite cat). So, use this guide loosely and always follow your vet's recommendation. If you're concerned, post a picture. The best way to determine body condition is to still be able to see muscles flex in the legs of your pet, feel the ribs without pressing into the skin and have a "freshly fed" look to their belly.

If your cat covers his/her feet with chub when they sit, they're a little on the tubby side :LOL:

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Maggie gets a half cup in morning than half @ night so she gets a cup a day but snacks on people food all day

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hibou gets to snack on most things I am eating, for some reason she just LOVES pizza or anything in tomato sauce!

That is too funny. I looked away for ONE second and Sophie snatched a tomato off my pizza. I didn't know cats like tomatoes? Or is it a sphynx thing?

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nofuratu eats lettuce, tomatoes,....mushrooms. anything really.
He is 2 yrs old and 8 lbs. He is a larger sized sphynx but not fat. He has dry food out all day to eat and gets half a can of science diet as well. He also snacks on people food but nothing with sugar or fat.
Leaving food out is fine as long as your cat doesnt over eat.
Your cat should have a little pot belly, but you should be able to see their ribs a little through their skin when the light hits them.
Another clue about getting fat is less wrinkles.....the wrinkles start filling up with fat.
You should also be able to see their muscles flexing beneath the skin, if there's too much fat you wont see this. Here is a photo of Nofuratu climbing and you can see all his muscles. But he still has a little sphynx pot belly and is not bony! Must be all those stairs he climbs when we visit lighthouses....

Baron gets about 1/2-3/4 C of Nature's Variety Instinct twice per day and then in the evening he gets one can(either 3 or 5oz) of a high quality moist food. We've been using up the Pet Promise lately. He really likes the Chicken and Wild Tuna(dolphin safe mind you, heh).

I used to give him more raw than I do now(LAAAAAAZZZZZYYYEEEE....*snores on couch*). He used to get alot of raw chicken thighs, legs, wings, quarters, with a variety of organs. He loves beef heart with a passion. Turkey meat(bones not so much), organs, bone-in rabbit, quail, duck w/organs and bone-in, cornish hens, etc.

He'll be 2 on April 18th and is 11lbs now. My co-workers say he has breasteses... LOL Chunky man. Oh well, the judges at shows love him, as long as they don't break a femur or anything.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nofuratu eats lettuce, tomatoes,....mushrooms. anything really.
He is 2 yrs old and 8 lbs. He is a larger sized sphynx but not fat. He has dry food out all day to eat and gets half a can of science diet as well. He also snacks on people food but nothing with sugar or fat.
Leaving food out is fine as long as your cat doesnt over eat.
Your cat should have a little pot belly, but you should be able to see their ribs a little through their skin when the light hits them.
Another clue about getting fat is less wrinkles.....the wrinkles start filling up with fat.
You should also be able to see their muscles flexing beneath the skin, if there's too much fat you wont see this. Here is a photo of Nofuratu climbing and you can see all his muscles. But he still has a little sphynx pot belly and is not bony! Must be all those stairs he climbs when we visit lighthouses....

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Oh he really cracks me up! He is brilliant! Look at him climbing those stairs! He has such a great life Mo is so lazy!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh and Mo eats............A LOT!!! I try to give him 2 large meals a day of wet food and some biscuits about mid day. I can't really leave dry out all the time because my cats seem to eat it all at once!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
:LOL::LOL::LOL: Oh he really cracks me up! He is brilliant! Look at him climbing those stairs! He has such a great life Mo is so lazy!

He really has a thing for light houses! Im not kidding.....he reviewed 3 lighthouses on his blog!! Cape bear lighthouse, westpoint and peggy's cove. He loves climbing the stairs and staring at the light when he gets to the top!!! He's hilarious!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
He really has a thing for light houses! Im not kidding.....he reviewed 3 lighthouses on his blog!! Cape bear lighthouse, westpoint and peggy's cove. He loves climbing the stairs and staring at the light when he gets to the top!!! He's hilarious!

Those are some great pics you have there! Nofuratu is one adventurous cat! :Cool:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
WOW That close up of Nofuratu reminds me so much of Mo!! It's like the pic on Mo's album 'Mo the poser!'

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

The third pic reminds me of that bit from the film A Bugs Life - don't look into the light!!! I can't help it, it's soooo preeeatty! :LOL:

X

Back