Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How much pumpkin for upset tummy?

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi everyone,

I have read on here that pure pumpkin can help with diarrhea. Poor little Lilo has has mushy poo but has been worse the past few days. I wanted to try pumpkin in her food but wondering how much I should add in and how many times a day? If anyone has experience with this I could use some help!

Also, does anyone have a shampoo recommendation?

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks for the quick replies...I just added a spoonful to her wet food. Poor little thing scarfed it right down and went back to her bed.

I'm calling the vet tomorrow anyways to see if I can bring her in. When I took her in for her new kitten exam last week she said she had a bit of a runny nose but wasn't too concerned at that point considering she just went from Vegas to Montana and could be stressed from the trip. Well her nose is still runny and now her eyes are too and diarrhea?! I'm thinking something is going on. I hope she's ok...makes me sad that she doesn't even want to get out of bed. I have to go pick her up to hold her, which is unusual considering she's usually right in your face!

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for the quick replies...I just added a spoonful to her wet food. Poor little thing scarfed it right down and went back to her bed.

I'm calling the vet tomorrow anyways to see if I can bring her in. When I took her in for her new kitten exam last week she said she had a bit of a runny nose but wasn't too concerned at that point considering she just went from Vegas to Montana and could be stressed from the trip. Well her nose is still runny and now her eyes are too and diarrhea?! I'm thinking something is going on. I hope she's ok...makes me sad that she doesn't even want to get out of bed. I have to go pick her up to hold her, which is unusual considering she's usually right in your face!

The way you describe her, I would definately go to the vet. Will send good thoughts your way for her to feel better.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Butterball had runny stools alot when he was a kitten. Don't let it get you down. Time may be the right medicine.

JacksMom

Banned
Sorry she's not feeling well. Hoping that it's just the stress from the trip or maybe she cought a little virus? I use Johnson adn Johnson oatmeal baby wash on Jack and it works great and is tear-free ;-)

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well, she ate 2 more ounces of wet food and is now actually playing around a little bit...maybe she is on the upside of whatever this is. She is soooo gassy though. Every time she moves or we pick her up she rips one and OMG :Badly:.

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know...I feel bad for her...she seems a bit better this evening but still calling the vet tomorrow. Gonna ask about probiotics then too.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Flying and adjusting to a new home can be stressful. Hopefully the vet will be able to advise you on what direction to go in next with her URI symptoms and mushy poo.

Right now I'm using an Oatmeal and Aloe shampoo by Earthbath. I haven't bathed my newly arrived girl yet, but I love the way that shampoo makes Gleek smell like oatmeal cookie dough. Yum!

I hope your little one feels better soon.

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
was she on can food at the breeders houses? that could be the cause of the gas and the runny poos.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Jill- you need to get her OFF that wet food and to the vet asap. Her breeder did not have her on wet food at all. And diarrhea CAN kill a 12-14 week old kitten if they are allowed to get dehydrated and lethargic, which is what it seems like you are describing.

Kittens should never go from one brand of food straight to another- and that goes doubly from being on kibble to being on plain canned food. A kitten's GI tract is pretty susceptible to changes in food and that will cause the issues you are having.

Please get your girl seen and taken care of. The pumpkin is something people use for older cats/kittens that are NOT acting off- the minute your kitten is acting off, you can no longer rely on over-the-counter fixes, but need to see a vet.

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hey Trish. I am going to be talking to the vet in just a few minutes. She was fairly inactive for like 2 days but still eating and drinking a lot of water. Also, she's had diarrhea since we got her home so it doesn't seem to be a problem solely with her food. I had some dry food that I have been mixing with the canned food so it wasn't a straight change.

She is at least feeling better. I was up late last night and she was back to playing around and wanted to eat a lot! She even had a soft-solid poo so that was good. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will post an update.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That is a very good sign, hon. But please remember- kittens as small as she is (12-16 weeks is still small for a kitten) can get dehydrated and die from severe diarrhea.

Stress from the shipping oftentimes can cause runny stools the first few days- and then switching the food (even with kibble mixed in) can make the issue worse. I tell kitten owners to keep a very close eye on any soft poo or diarrhea- to me, I'd rather jump on it asap because it can make a kitten go downhill super fast.

I would still get her off the wet- I know you really want to feed wet food, but babies have sensitive GI tracts. Wait a while- just a few months- and then start integrating to a wet only diet.

GL at the vet. I am glad you are getting her in and glad she is feeling more herself today.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
PS- and when babies have real diarrhea- which is what it sounds like it developed into (not soft serve poos)- I will give them Pedialyte to ensure they keep up their electrolytes. I use the generic kind you can pick up at Walmart :) or sometimes dog stores sell a puppy version that you mix with distilled water.

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks for the info Trish. I have done a lot of research on food and most of the dry food has grains/starches, which from what I've read can cause more "gut" issues especially if they're sensitive to it. It would be nice of all the products out there were just safe so we didn't have to worry when buying....ugh. I did however order this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018CLLL6/ref=oss_product"]Amazon.com: Now! Dry Cat Food for Kittens, Grain Free Turkey with Duck Formula, 1 Pound Bag: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31EknE57dHL.@@AMEPARAM@@31EknE57dHL[/ame]and it should be here soon. There weren't any grain-free choices locally.

Waiting for a call back from my vet now...but I am glad she appears to be feeling better :ThumbsUp:.​

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
PS- and when babies have real diarrhea- which is what it sounds like it developed into (not soft serve poos)- I will give them Pedialyte to ensure they keep up their electrolytes. I use the generic kind you can pick up at Walmart :) or sometimes dog stores sell a puppy version that you mix with distilled water.

Oh and it might have been considered a version of soft-serve poo but sometimes runnier than others and even slimy from what I could observe. I have been trying to watch her each time she goes so I know what's going on...

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You are absolutely right- there is a lot of crap in dry food- even moreso then in wet food :) But since babies adjust to the food they are weaned onto- weaning them onto a different food may be a long haul kinda thing. If you read through the older posts on this site- you will see a lot of Sphynxes react differently to the very GOOD, BEST brands out there. A lot of Sphynxes get diarrhea from the best brands out there- Innova, Evo, etc. So you have to find what works for your kitten and go from there.

BUT when they get bad diarrhea- whether it is stress from moving, change of food, or even an easy fix like coccidia- you have to move slowly when changing the food. Yogurt is good to help bind the gut, pumpkin is good to introduce extra fiber to help solidify the poo, etc, but you have to get to a point where you can do that.

Did that make sense? Pumpkin/yogurt, etc, is only going to help when you have a solid poo that is mushy- it will not help liquid poop or even mostly liquid poop.

(I know too much about cat poop, btw).

AjahsMomma

Lairian
Was she on wet food at the breeders? A sudden change in food combined with the new home can cause loose stools. I would keep her on the exact food the breeder was feeding her, AND take her to the vet today. Right now!!!! :)

Ajahs Momma

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Was she on wet food at the breeders? A sudden change in food combined with the new home can cause loose stools. I would keep her on the exact food the breeder was feeding her, AND take her to the vet today. Right now!!!! :)

Ajahs Momma

No wet food at breeders. Was on Royal Canin Kitten food at first but then she said she switched to something else. I don't believe in dry food feeding but have already bought some good stuff to mix in until I can wean her off. Eventually she will be eating NV Raw diet.

AjahsMomma

Lairian
It is always soooooo important to me that I change NOTHING that I don't have to when I bring a kitten home. I will feed the EXACT diet the breeder was feeding for weeks before VERY gradually switching over to what I want my kitten to be eating for life. Everything in that kittens life is upside down. The least I can do is keep her diet the same till she settles in. Which is what most breeders ask for anyway. Such an abrupt changein diet is obviously going to upset a kitten already stressed out. Especially from kibble to wet!!!!! Poor thing, I hope you get her diet worked out. A trip to the vet is called for here too. Dehydration via wet poops is a HUGE killer. Is there any way you would consider going back to what the breeder had her on until you can get her to the vet? Over the counter remedies, such as pumpkin, are not always the best thing for such a young kitten. And again, it is another change. Just my opinions and I mean no disrespect.

Back