Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How much roughly

Suzie&Cats

Lairian
Would a sphynx cat cost?

This will be the first time I buy a purebreed cat so want to now how much I will need to put aside for when the time comes :Smile:

I have been told 100o + $ from people in different countries so thought you guys might be able to give me a idea to.

Thanks.

Sorry that I havent been on here in a while.

English Dave

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Would a sphynx cat cost?

This will be the first time I buy a purebreed cat so want to now how much I will need to put aside for when the time comes :Smile:

I have been told 100o + $ from people in different countries so thought you guys might be able to give me a idea to.

Thanks.

It depends on if you want a pet, show cat or breeder but $1000 is a pretty good starting point.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree $1000 is the normal starting price for a sphynx.
Mine were both more the that though.
The price does depends on pet,show or breeder.
What are you looking for in a sphynx?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pets start at around $1000.
I have seen a few breeders sell them for less.
My sister paid $975 for one of her girls.
My sister has a calco sphynx.
The price goes by the quaity not colors.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pets start at around $1000.
I have seen a few breeders sell them for less.
My sister paid $975 for one of her girls.
My sister has a calco sphynx.
The price goes by the quaity not colors.

I agree. Also if your getting charged extra because of the color then I'd look elsewhere, I personally don't understand why people charge extra for certain eye/skin color.

Try to find someone local so that you can visit the kittens in their home or if you can't then research the breeders (look for negative reviews/ word of mouth on good breeders etc)

You might have to pay shipping as your in Canada, I've shipped to Canada once and even though I was given$300 to cover shipping, it actually cost $350+ to ship as I had to pay a kenneling fee too, so take into account that local breeders will save you paying shipping too.

Good luck :ThumbsUp:

Annabanana

Lairian
I'd estimate closer to 1300 USD+. You're going to want to support a breeder that does yearly HCM scans to protect yourself and your new feline friend, preferably start getting on waiting lists now for people who regularly show so you are giving your hard earned money to someone who is putting it toward showing, scanning, and bettering the breed. Not saying fabulous kittens can't be had for less, but I've seen and heard of too much heartbreak to offer any other advice.

My limits were $1500 for a pet and less then $2200 for a show animal. Sounds like you're looking for a pet. Maybe hop on the rescue list, youll spend about $200, usually for an adult. If you want a kitten, which is totally understandable, definitely do your research. Even the highest quality show litters have pet quality babies, and if you want to support a breeder "playing by the rules", I'd increase to at least $1300.

Sorry Ive done a lot of reading on a breeders list about the woes of some of the worst breeders out there. This tends to be a breed with health issues and while theyre doing the best they can to breed health into the sphynx, its a long hard road esp. with people breeding anything bald with anything bald just to make a quick buck. Just FYI!!! :) Good luck and be sure to post pictures when you find your baby!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I paid £650 for Mo in the UK as a pet sphynx, I got him from a breeder in North Wales, the females were more at around £800 I think. I've been on my pound/dollar converter (yes i'm a sado!) and £650 is around $1,165 Gosh that sounds a lot when it's converted!!!

PitRottMommy

Banned
I agree with AnnaBanana. Let's not discuss price until we've considered health.

HCM is a horrible problem with this breed. Make sure the breeder does annual scans (and they're negative) on the parents. You don't want to spend a grand deal on a cat who came from an owner that didn't scan, bred their females every few months to get the maximum number of kittens possible (even if it meant the queen's health was compromised), who didn't vaccinate, etc. Health is more important than price.

My three cats are from one wonderful breeder: I purchased Baldwin (my black cat in my Avatar) in May 2008. In June 2009, I found Buck and Buffy in a rescue in Kentucky. They were from the same litter that Baldwin was, and I recognized (and adopted) them promptly.

Baldwin cost me right at $1500 for price. About $2000 after travel costs had been factored in. The adoption fee for Buck and Buffy was $1000 for the two. Travel costs ran about $500 for Jason and I to drive 1/2 way across the US and pick them up and drive them back home. So, I think the $1500-2000 price range is fair.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brooke

Banned
I agree with AnnaBanana. Let's not discuss price until we've considered health.

HCM is a horrible problem with this breed. Make sure the breeder does annual scans (and they're negative) on the parents. You don't want to spend a grand deal on a cat who came from an owner that didn't scan, bred their females every few months to get the maximum number of kittens possible (even if it meant the queen's health was compromised), who didn't vaccinate, etc. Health is more important than price.

Precisely! To put it into perspective... I bought my first sphynx, Harold, from a private seller. Different situation, because I wasn't looking for a kitten from a breeder, I bought him as an adult. But, I thought I was getting a fantastic deal - $300 for a purebred Sphynx! 3 months later, he was diagnosed with HCM...5 months and nearly $4,000 in vet bills later, he had passed away. A few hundred dollars extra now is nothing, if it means you might save yourself thousands of dollars and an eternity of heartache later.

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
i agree with Brooke and Pitrotten Heath first cost second...I spent 1500 on Harley my spotted Sphynx. The other three were adopted. I would like to add how improtant it is to have a very good working relationship with your breeder. I looked at breeders and looked for the heath and how often they breed there cats. I settled on one close to me and then started to talk to her about getting a kitten. I spent the better part of a year with her from our first conversation to picking up my Harley. I must say that I have had an excelent relationship with her. After seeing some of the problems other owners have had, I was glad I got to know my breeder and developed that relationship with her long before Harley was even concieved. Just my opinion though...

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree health is more important then price.
I am making sure my next sphynx comes from a breeder that scans.
Wrinkle breeder is going to start scanning now.
Her cats should be scanned in a few week.
I

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I bought Abby for $350...However she was special needs...her eye was scratched as a kitten...however now she is almost %100 better. I did a ton of research though.....I mean a ton!

pinupcats

Lairian
Very good sound advice from Annabanana. And I agree about coat/eye color - it should not cost more. I don't charge based on color, I charge based on "type" and how close the cat comes to meeting the standard of the associations I register with.

I'd estimate closer to 1300 USD+. You're going to want to support a breeder that does yearly HCM scans to protect yourself and your new feline friend, preferably start getting on waiting lists now for people who regularly show so you are giving your hard earned money to someone who is putting it toward showing, scanning, and bettering the breed. Not saying fabulous kittens can't be had for less, but I've seen and heard of too much heartbreak to offer any other advice.

My limits were $1500 for a pet and less then $2200 for a show animal. Sounds like you're looking for a pet. Maybe hop on the rescue list, youll spend about $200, usually for an adult. If you want a kitten, which is totally understandable, definitely do your research. Even the highest quality show litters have pet quality babies, and if you want to support a breeder "playing by the rules", I'd increase to at least $1300.

Sorry Ive done a lot of reading on a breeders list about the woes of some of the worst breeders out there. This tends to be a breed with health issues and while theyre doing the best they can to breed health into the sphynx, its a long hard road esp. with people breeding anything bald with anything bald just to make a quick buck. Just FYI!!! :) Good luck and be sure to post pictures when you find your baby!

Suzie&Cats

Lairian
I'm sorry I havent replied I have had a busy week and a scare with one of my cats. I'll go through each post now :Smile: Hope I am forgiven.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Always forgiven,,,there are always things going on! :) My Sphynx search started about six months ago. I had been presented with an opportunity to receive a Sphynx from a friends brother and things fell thru. My heart was broken but I was determined to get my Sphynx. For months I searched online to find semi local breeders. Most breeders where an hour to an hour and a half way but that was better then shipping as I don't believe in shipping an animal makes for a good transistion to its new home. And only god knows what could happen during the shipment.
I was lucky and found a breeder fairly close, hour and half away, we hit it off on the phone immediatley and became good friends. She ended up having to move and rehome several of her kitties quickly and offered me a great deal of $350 for my gorgeous girl. Keep in mind that no matter how much you pay for your new feline friend you'll want to ensure you have money set aside to take her to your vet ASAP once you receive her for a check up and make sure she has no current illnesses or anything weird going on. Also with this breed you'll need to ensure you can get your hands on high protein cat food or look in raw feeding which I'm still researching myself. Either way, the Sphynx breed is not the typical cat and does tend to cost a little more for the average care. Even tho I only paid $350 for my little girl I have tons more invested in her with her Spay, shots, vet visit, new toys, clothes, hygeine items, etc. Also most breeders wont sell unless you pay for their spay & shots as well and most want you to use their vet so you'll need to check into that cost as well. Goodluck with your searching and feel free to reach out if you need any assistance. I sort of stumbled thru it myself but for the most part I think I did fairly well.

Suzie&Cats

Lairian
Always forgiven,,,there are always things going on! :) My Sphynx search started about six months ago. I had been presented with an opportunity to receive a Sphynx from a friends brother and things fell thru. My heart was broken but I was determined to get my Sphynx. For months I searched online to find semi local breeders. Most breeders where an hour to an hour and a half way but that was better then shipping as I don't believe in shipping an animal makes for a good transistion to its new home. And only god knows what could happen during the shipment.
I was lucky and found a breeder fairly close, hour and half away, we hit it off on the phone immediatley and became good friends. She ended up having to move and rehome several of her kitties quickly and offered me a great deal of $350 for my gorgeous girl. Keep in mind that no matter how much you pay for your new feline friend you'll want to ensure you have money set aside to take her to your vet ASAP once you receive her for a check up and make sure she has no current illnesses or anything weird going on. Also with this breed you'll need to ensure you can get your hands on high protein cat food or look in raw feeding which I'm still researching myself. Either way, the Sphynx breed is not the typical cat and does tend to cost a little more for the average care. Even tho I only paid $350 for my little girl I have tons more invested in her with her Spay, shots, vet visit, new toys, clothes, hygeine items, etc. Also most breeders wont sell unless you pay for their spay & shots as well and most want you to use their vet so you'll need to check into that cost as well. Goodluck with your searching and feel free to reach out if you need any assistance. I sort of stumbled thru it myself but for the most part I think I did fairly well.

Thats a great storey :Smile:

I understand completly about money. I got Decker in the summer of 08 then got Horris the december of 08 and then Soda the summer of 09.

Decker was dumped on our apt deck. She was my first cat of my own. So it was a bumpy ride to find a vet as the first place I took her to wanted to charge 600+ for spaying. I eventually found another vet that charges around 176 for spaying but also loves the animals to :BigSmile:

Then came Horris who lived in a cardboard box outside. My brought him in and hes been here since. Then in the summer of 09 I found a little 5 to 8 week old kitten running in and out of traffic. I think to date I have spent close to 2000$ on spaying, neuturing, microchiping, beds, toys, carriers. But its all been worth it :Adore:

I've been researching food as well I switched my guys a few months ago from purina to a Holistic high qulity dry food. Right now they get a mix of different wet and raw foods. I'm hoping to change to complete raw once I move out.

I'll defiently be researching alot. Have you found a book on Sphynx as I was told there was none on them?

ckutkuhn7

Banned
The only real book I have found on the breed is: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sphynx-Cat/Joanne-Mattern/e/9780736808989/?itm=3&USRI=sphynx

I haven't gone out and bought it as my mother sort of dropped a hint she was getting it for me. All of the other books I've seen are story lines for kids with cancer and how to adapt to being without hair, etc.

Any questions or concerns I've had thus far I've referred to my breeder and or vet for assistance. Nothing major thus far tho. I'm lovin her to death! She is the most spoiled cat in Ohio I'm sure!

Suzie&Cats

Lairian

Whats HCM? I've tried looking it up but would rather talk to an experience Sphynx owner :Smile:

I've heard of Sphynx having bad reactions to anesthesia?

Its gonna be a couple of yrs before I get a Sphynx as I want to have my own place before bringing home a new Kitty. I would be open to either Kitten or Adult cat, I will defiently check out rescues!

Its no problem I'd like to go in with eyes open and now what I am getting into then just blindly walking into walls. Its horrible that people do that :Angry:

beeblebrox

Lairian
Hi. I sell my sphynx for $1500 and give a $250 if the buyer is on my waiting list.

This price is set this way because all my breeders are HCM scanned, DNA tested, etc. You can find sphynx from $600 and up.. but be careful of the much cheaper ones.. make sure you get a contract, make sure the kitty is set on vacs for a year.. make sure they are health certified from a liscensed vet.. you get what you pay for.

When deciding who to buy the kitty from, look at the contract ahead of time... think about potential shipping cost.. your initial vet visit.. and any potential vet visits. The sphynx also require some extras and of course you will want to spoil them. It's a significant investment of time and money but well worth it!

Would a sphynx cat cost?

Thanks.

wundrlust

Lairian
Since I bought 2 brothers together I got a deal for $2000.00. Otherwise they were going for $1400.00 each. I would do it again and again. My Nudies are priceless!!!

Back