Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How much should I be feeding my cat?

chillinq88

Lairian
Hi everyone!

An update on the last thing about Artemis, she is doing a lot better now- we gave her antibiotics and she is no longer sick! Yay!

But now, a new problem has arisen. I don't think I'm feeding her enough. I feed her about a full can of wet food a day (one half in the morning, one half at night) and occasionally give her treats if she's being good. Earlier, I was taking out a bag of turkey slices from the fridge to make a sandwich with. I was scratched and bitten by Artemis, as she was trying to get to the turey. I am still currently bleeding because of this. Before then, I was eating dinner and she bit my hand, breaking the skin and making that bleed, too. Artemis is a 1 year old, and I've been looking up to see how much food I should be giving her, but nothing is showing. She is also very skinny, as I can see her spine clearly when she's sitting and I can see her ribs all the time. I don't know if this is a case of malnutrition, or if she just isn't getting fed enough, but if it is, can anyone help? Thank you!

meandmytwo

Lairian
I don't think you're feeding her enough either...

She needs more food if she's skinny and you can see her spine and ribs. I'd increase her wet food by at least 50%, maybe even double it.

Many folks leave out dry food all the time also, for grazing. This doesn't work for mine though because they eat it up right away (and have clearly gotten overfull), even after they've had a meal.

Sounds like you've been to the vet recently, was anything mentioned at that time about her weight?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone!

An update on the last thing about Artemis, she is doing a lot better now- we gave her antibiotics and she is no longer sick! Yay!

But now, a new problem has arisen. I don't think I'm feeding her enough. I feed her about a full can of wet food a day (one half in the morning, one half at night) and occasionally give her treats if she's being good. Earlier, I was taking out a bag of turkey slices from the fridge to make a sandwich with. I was scratched and bitten by Artemis, as she was trying to get to the turey. I am still currently bleeding because of this. Before then, I was eating dinner and she bit my hand, breaking the skin and making that bleed, too. Artemis is a 1 year old, and I've been looking up to see how much food I should be giving her, but nothing is showing. She is also very skinny, as I can see her spine clearly when she's sitting and I can see her ribs all the time. I don't know if this is a case of malnutrition, or if she just isn't getting fed enough, but if it is, can anyone help? Thank you!
We feed to addition to the wet food a bowl of wet that we leave out all day for two cats. :)

chillinq88

Lairian
@meandmytwo

Yes, Artemis as taken to a vet about a month ago or so. The vet said she was the perfect weight and that her diet is okay.
But, this has only been going on since the middle of October or so. The vet visit was a little over 3 weeks before then.

meandmytwo

Lairian
By your description it does sound like she's thinner than when the vet saw her.

If she'll eat more, I would feed her more :). Whether that is more at each meal or an additional meal or grazing. You may notice even within a few days that she fills out. If not, you'll know her condition could be for some other reason.

We all come in different sizes. My boys eat the same amount and weigh within .5 pound of each other, but one looks noticeably thinner. But, ribs and spine showing is under weight.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Most people with sphynx do free feed kibbles besides the wet food. Sphynx kittens need food to grow and to keep their temperature up. So they eat a lot more then regular cats. Best is to fill a bowl with kibbles and let her eat during the day as much as she want and refill the bowl when it’s empty