Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How much should I be feeding my cats?

PeachesAndJune

Lairian
Hello! My name is Jen and I am a new member here. I am curious as to how much food you would typically feed your sphynx cats? A little back story: I became a new sphynx mom to sisters Peaches & June back in late August 2017. They will be a year old May 31st this year. Yesterday we had a routine check up at the vet. June is now 7.6lbs and Peaches 6.6lbs. Peaches has a smaller frame (I’m thinking she was the runt of the litter to be honest) where as June is a bit taller and bulky (typical sphynx body from what I’ve seen with others). Our vet is already expressing weight concerns and they aren’t even a year old yet. Unfortunately they do not have any previous experience with the breed, and neither do any of the other local vets. She wants me to cut back on their food. Right now they eat nulo wet & dry. We open feed on dry (I refill their bowl about every other day giving them 2cups) and they each get half a can (medium size can, same size as a tuna can) of wet for breakfast every morning. So I guess what I’m getting at here is what and how much do you feed your babies and what are their weights like? Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your advice! ^_^ (In the photo Peaches is on the left with the fuzzy face and June is on the right half asleep)

Attachments

• 7262900B-7EDF-43E8-A690-2B95ABB3FA59.jpeg
    7262900B-7EDF-43E8-A690-2B95ABB3FA59.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 55

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My boy gets fed a small can of Purina kitten in the morning for breakfast and then a sachet of the royal Canin for dinner. Healso then has royal Canin kitten biscuits free fed throughout the day which he nibbles at when he wants too. He is currently 2.23kg (sorry don't know lbs) at 18weeks. This is the feeding plan that his breeder had and it has worked well for us so we have kept it.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@PeachesAndJune welcome to sphynxlair. Peaches and June are beautiful! They don't look overweighted to me. 7.6 and 6.6 lbs is a normal weight depending on their size of course.
Most people free feed on kibbles and give one can wet food a day!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Cats are not all the same size so you should go by the shape of their body. A Sphynx is still a cat and they are supposed to have the same basic shape.

Attachments

• bodycondition_cat.jpg
    bodycondition_cat.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 86
Back