Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How much should my kitten eat?

HeatherNumber1

Lairian
Many moons ago when I had cats I was told to only feed dry, because wet was bad for them. Now I'm hearing that wet should make up the bulk of the diet. How much and how often should I feed wet? I'm at work all day so I leave out dry and fresh water for my kitties.

I've been splitting a tiny can at night between my 3 babies (4 mo old sphynx, 5 mo old Bengal and 2 mo old rescue). There's no waste this way- but should they get more? I've been trying various brands at the store (nulo, wild calling, Royal canin) to see what they like best, so far all have been well received.

Adding pics just because.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 22

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@HeatherNumber1 yes, wet canned food is much healthier for them compared to dry kibble alone.

Breakfast and dinner they should be getting a can of food each cat. Dry food out for grazing, not a full meal substitute. It's much healthier for them that way.

Splitting the tiny can of cat food between all your cats is just a teaser, a snack, not a meal.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree, a can a piece.
Morning and night. Plus, continue to leave your dry out.
Gorgeous babies.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@HeatherNumber1 I wanted to add something before, but got distracted:

Keep in mind that all three of them are growing kittens and they need plenty of calories right now. Your sphynx needs even more calories because the breed has a higher metabolism than your two furry babies.

So a can a piece...each kitten, twice a day, plus dry kibble for grazing all day and all night long with fresh water and L-Lysine twice a day on the canned food.