Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How my angel found me

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Greetings! That good looking fellow to your left is Gabriel Skynrd the Jedi Ninja, affectionately known as "Gabe." I was browsing Petfinder.com one afternoon, and saw those incredible golden eyes staring back at me. I knew instantly that we were meant to be together.

I contacted the shelter, who gave my information to his "Foster Mom." She got ahold of me, and we exchanged several really nice e-mails. He had already been "adopted" by someone else, but they hadn't picked him up yet. She asked me to keep my fingers crossed, because sometimes adoptions fall thorough.

Finally, a few days later, we got the call: He was OURS! So, we packed up and made the 3 1/2 hour drive to Moses Lake, where his foster mom lives. The moment I laid eyes on him I broke down in tears. It was instant love.

They had been calling him "Spike" at the foster home, because his former owners had named him "Piggy" and that's just not very nice. While Spike is a lovely name, my son already has a cat with that name, so we had to find something appropriate for this little love bug. I had a "naming contest" among my Facebook friends, and the best (and funniest) suggestions were "Skynrd" and "Yoda." However, I had gotten to know him, and he truly is an angel. But not a harps and flowers and fluffy clouds kind of angel. He's a rough, tough, take no prisoners kind of angel. "Gabriel." The perfect name.

That was almost a year ago. Gabe has become my best friend. He sleeps with me, sits on my desk while I work, curls up on his heating pad while I knit or do bead work. He rides with me on errands and visiting friends. He is my constant companion, and I love him with all my heart.

He is also a cancer survivor. We suspect that his previous owners knew of the cancer, and that's why they gave him to the shelter, rather than paying for surgery that had a doubtful outcome.

He had several mammary gland tumors. Our wonderful vet explained that if she could get them all, and they were small and hadn't spread to the lymph nodes, we would probably have a good year or two with him before the cancer returned. Feline mammary cancer is very aggressive, and nearly always fatal.

My poor little angel was cut from armpits to groin, removing all of one mammary chain, and part of the other. He was so small and vulnerable. I don't think I've ever cried as much as I did during those few weeks during his recovery.

However, two weeks after his surgery, we received a call from our vet. She was crying, and could barely speak. The words were music to my ears: "It....was...benign."

So, my Angel Gabriel had fought cancer and miraculously beaten it.

He's a wonderful, special little fellow. Spoiled rotten. Catered to like a prince. Loved so much I sometimes feel a bit ridiculous. But he's my boy. My Naked Ninja, the Purrminator, Baby Gabey, and several other nicknames.

Nice to meet you all!

Sue

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello NakedNinja and welcome to Sphynxlair! Thanks for sharing that great story with us! I'm glad Gabe is doing well! I hope you enjoy the site!:ThumbsUp:

Gizzymom

Banned
Welcome Sue and Gabe!!! What a heart warming story!! I could feel the love that you have for Gabe in your words - I love that!!! :ThumbsUp:

Aphrodite

Lairian
What a story! You SAVED HIM from a certain death. I hope he'll be with you for a long, long time!

Aphrodite, Zoe, Zelda & Krishna:Smile:

Inferno12

Banned
What an amazing story. Thanks for telling it and we are so glad you found us. We are a group of people who feel the same way about out Sphynx! Thanks for giving him a great life

Welcome....oh and yeah, we love the gingers :Wink:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's great to meet you. It sounds like Gabe is your heart kitty. You're so lucky to have found each other. Welcome to the lair!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh My - you had me on a roller coaster with your story. I am so glad it ended in a happy note. Your Gabe is probably one of your many soul mates. :BigSmile:

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Greetings! That good looking fellow to your left is Gabriel Skynrd the Jedi Ninja, affectionately known as "Gabe." I was browsing Petfinder.com one afternoon, and saw those incredible golden eyes staring back at me. I knew instantly that we were meant to be together.

I contacted the shelter, who gave my information to his "Foster Mom." She got ahold of me, and we exchanged several really nice e-mails. He had already been "adopted" by someone else, but they hadn't picked him up yet. She asked me to keep my fingers crossed, because sometimes adoptions fall thorough.

Finally, a few days later, we got the call: He was OURS! So, we packed up and made the 3 1/2 hour drive to Moses Lake, where his foster mom lives. The moment I laid eyes on him I broke down in tears. It was instant love.

They had been calling him "Spike" at the foster home, because his former owners had named him "Piggy" and that's just not very nice. While Spike is a lovely name, my son already has a cat with that name, so we had to find something appropriate for this little love bug. I had a "naming contest" among my Facebook friends, and the best (and funniest) suggestions were "Skynrd" and "Yoda." However, I had gotten to know him, and he truly is an angel. But not a harps and flowers and fluffy clouds kind of angel. He's a rough, tough, take no prisoners kind of angel. "Gabriel." The perfect name.

That was almost a year ago. Gabe has become my best friend. He sleeps with me, sits on my desk while I work, curls up on his heating pad while I knit or do bead work. He rides with me on errands and visiting friends. He is my constant companion, and I love him with all my heart.

He is also a cancer survivor. We suspect that his previous owners knew of the cancer, and that's why they gave him to the shelter, rather than paying for surgery that had a doubtful outcome.

He had several mammary gland tumors. Our wonderful vet explained that if she could get them all, and they were small and hadn't spread to the lymph nodes, we would probably have a good year or two with him before the cancer returned. Feline mammary cancer is very aggressive, and nearly always fatal.

My poor little angel was cut from armpits to groin, removing all of one mammary chain, and part of the other. He was so small and vulnerable. I don't think I've ever cried as much as I did during those few weeks during his recovery.

However, two weeks after his surgery, we received a call from our vet. She was crying, and could barely speak. The words were music to my ears: "It....was...benign."

So, my Angel Gabriel had fought cancer and miraculously beaten it.

He's a wonderful, special little fellow. Spoiled rotten. Catered to like a prince. Loved so much I sometimes feel a bit ridiculous. But he's my boy. My Naked Ninja, the Purrminator, Baby Gabey, and several other nicknames.

Nice to meet you all!

Sue

YOU KNIT???!! Too cool! Sorry I am also a sphynx loving knitter:ThumbsUp: Two of my favorite things has a matter of fact :BigSmile: Welcome, very heartwarming story, I almost cried! I am so glad your baby made it!

pooner

Banned
I teared up a little reading your story and I pretty much already new it. I am so glad he is okay, and his birthday tea party/I beat cancer celebration was so much fun! Pooner and I really enjoyed ourselves as you could tell Pooner made himself right at home crawling in your fireplace and all. We have to get the boys together soon!

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Also.... please post more pics of Gabe... There are a lot of us that are hard core "red head" lovers!!!:Wink:
Pictures posted. enjoy!

picture.php

susi794

Staff member
Welcome to the Lair and our online family. Your story made me tear up too--but it was joyful when I read the benign part!! WooooHoooo! Bless you for being Gabe's mommy--it sounds as though you two were a match made in Heaven.
Hus to you both,
Susi and the gang

Back