Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How my HCM cat is defying the odds!!! All HCM cat owners MUST read!

Bigglesworth1

Lairian
A long read, but for any owners with HCM cats, you need to read this! I am not naive in the fact the HCM cannot be cured. However when my baby boy was diagnosed at 1 year old, it did not stop me from doing ENDLESS research on what works. Of course, a lot of pharmaceutical medication popped up, but the cardiologist said that Mr Bigglesworth would only require Plavix (a blood thinner) at that stage (was still mild). Unfortunately, future scans were showing continued progression of the disease, but he was still not indicated for any further medication. To make matters worse, Biggles was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease this time last year, and we were very close to losing him to this. His heart disease prevented him from being able to take the firstline medication for his autoimmune disease (steroids), and he was so sick we almost let him go.

Fortunately all of my vet contacts (used to be a vet nurse) contributed input to treatment ideas, and he was able to get through his autoimmune disease (thank god!). The big issue now was that his last HCM scan (this time last year) showed further progression of the disease, and the cardiologist informed us that heart failure was essentially imminent. He said he was also now at high risk of a clot, and we had to be super diligent with his Plavix. After all we had gone through getting his autoimmune disease treated, I was not willing to give up on his HCM. I consulted a holistic vet, and from there, miracles happened. I had researched a million drugs that help with HCM, but it was not until I began looking into natural alternatives that I realised there was so much more out there. Please don't get me wrong, pharmaceuticals still play a VERY important part in HCM treatment, however there are holistic remedies out there that have been shown to drastically improve outcomes in HCM (I was very sceptical at first as I have always worked in the medical field). I researched all of the important natural remedies that are shown to help with HCM, and found supplements in the US that contained all of those things. I decided that I had nothing to lose, so I started him on everything I thought would help.

At this time last year, he had a Grade 4 murmur (I could literally feel it through his chest). After commencing the supplements, we noticed a HUGE increase in energy levels, he was SO happy, you would never know there was a problem (he had more energy than when he was a kitten, seriously). At just a recent vet visit, his heart murmur had reduced to a Grade 2. As for a cardiac ultrasound, the cardiologist said we won't rescan him anymore as it is too stressful for him, so we admittedly have not had a repeat ultrasound. I have been very tempted to do one anyway as it would be so interesting to see results, however I don't want to risk any sedation when I can monitor signs of heart failure at home. All I can say is Biggles is a different cat, and he has shown NO signs of heart failure ( I do his resp rate every day).

Now for what I use:

I purchase most of my products from NHV supplements. Now I assure you, this thread is 100% my opinion, and I am in no way endorsed by this company to say this.

Morning:

1 capsule Heart Care Plus (this is an Australia supplement)
25mg CoQ10 (50mg capsule, squeeze half into his food)
1/4 tab Plavix (blood thinner - ESSENTIAL medication)
Tumeric 0.5mL (NHV supplement)
+ Other NHV supplement to support his immune disease

Night:
Atopica (for immune disease)
Omega-3 (from NHV)
Hearty Heart (from NHV)

You can get a pack from NHV called "the cardiomyopathy support kit" and add the pet Omega-3 supplement to the pack as well. The CoQ10 can be purchased from your local chemist, just try to get the 50mg Capsules so its easier to dose. As for the Heart Care Plus, you can order from Australia, but could use the Hearty heart twice a day instead of night time only to make life easier.

I am paying NHV over $80 AUS for postage ALONE! I would not post all of this if the products did not work. I will keep you updated on Biggs HCM, but for now, my research is paying off!!! I am happy to answer any questions!

Attachments

• 20190401_150747 (2).jpg
    20190401_150747 (2).jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 39

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
So happy you are having success with these products. Recently there was some discussion about CoQ10. How old is your baby?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigglesworth1

Lairian
He is now 3.5years. Still very young, but even at diagnosis his heart failure expectancy was APPROX. 3 years of age (apparently the younger they have it, the quicker it progresses generally). His future heart scans all showed a rapid progression so he really should be heart failure by now.. I have all of my sphynxies on CoQ10 now. It was amongst the first supplement I added to his regime. I'll have to read some of the threads about Q10 as all of my research has been internet based.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This makes me so so happy to read this update! How amazing that your supplements are working and you're noticing a change in him.

It also makes me really happy to see someone else using COQ10! I've been adding it to my one boys food once a day for about a month, although I add 50 mg rather then the 25. I also give a feline cardiac support pill.

If you ever did re-scan in the future I'd love to know the results. Good job Mr. Bigglesworth, he's lucky to have you {}

Lizanne

Lairian
A long read, but for any owners with HCM cats, you need to read this! I am not naive in the fact the HCM cannot be cured. However when my baby boy was diagnosed at 1 year old, it did not stop me from doing ENDLESS research on what works. Of course, a lot of pharmaceutical medication popped up, but the cardiologist said that Mr Bigglesworth would only require Plavix (a blood thinner) at that stage (was still mild). Unfortunately, future scans were showing continued progression of the disease, but he was still not indicated for any further medication. To make matters worse, Biggles was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease this time last year, and we were very close to losing him to this. His heart disease prevented him from being able to take the firstline medication for his autoimmune disease (steroids), and he was so sick we almost let him go.

Fortunately all of my vet contacts (used to be a vet nurse) contributed input to treatment ideas, and he was able to get through his autoimmune disease (thank god!). The big issue now was that his last HCM scan (this time last year) showed further progression of the disease, and the cardiologist informed us that heart failure was essentially imminent. He said he was also now at high risk of a clot, and we had to be super diligent with his Plavix. After all we had gone through getting his autoimmune disease treated, I was not willing to give up on his HCM. I consulted a holistic vet, and from there, miracles happened. I had researched a million drugs that help with HCM, but it was not until I began looking into natural alternatives that I realised there was so much more out there. Please don't get me wrong, pharmaceuticals still play a VERY important part in HCM treatment, however there are holistic remedies out there that have been shown to drastically improve outcomes in HCM (I was very sceptical at first as I have always worked in the medical field). I researched all of the important natural remedies that are shown to help with HCM, and found supplements in the US that contained all of those things. I decided that I had nothing to lose, so I started him on everything I thought would help.

At this time last year, he had a Grade 4 murmur (I could literally feel it through his chest). After commencing the supplements, we noticed a HUGE increase in energy levels, he was SO happy, you would never know there was a problem (he had more energy than when he was a kitten, seriously). At just a recent vet visit, his heart murmur had reduced to a Grade 2. As for a cardiac ultrasound, the cardiologist said we won't rescan him anymore as it is too stressful for him, so we admittedly have not had a repeat ultrasound. I have been very tempted to do one anyway as it would be so interesting to see results, however I don't want to risk any sedation when I can monitor signs of heart failure at home. All I can say is Biggles is a different cat, and he has shown NO signs of heart failure ( I do his resp rate every day).

Now for what I use:

I purchase most of my products from NHV supplements. Now I assure you, this thread is 100% my opinion, and I am in no way endorsed by this company to say this.

Morning:

1 capsule Heart Care Plus (this is an Australia supplement)
25mg CoQ10 (50mg capsule, squeeze half into his food)
1/4 tab Plavix (blood thinner - ESSENTIAL medication)
Tumeric 0.5mL (NHV supplement)
+ Other NHV supplement to support his immune disease

Night:
Atopica (for immune disease)
Omega-3 (from NHV)
Hearty Heart (from NHV)

You can get a pack from NHV called "the cardiomyopathy support kit" and add the pet Omega-3 supplement to the pack as well. The CoQ10 can be purchased from your local chemist, just try to get the 50mg Capsules so its easier to dose. As for the Heart Care Plus, you can order from Australia, but could use the Hearty heart twice a day instead of night time only to make life easier.

I am paying NHV over $80 AUS for postage ALONE! I would not post all of this if the products did not work. I will keep you updated on Biggs HCM, but for now, my research is paying off!!! I am happy to answer any questions!
What are the possible benefits of giving cq10 as a "gp" type medication? Are there other medications people are giving even though HCM has not been diagnosed?

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This is so heartwarming! I’m thrilled to hear he is doing so well! I’ve heard excellent things about CoQ10 supplements for HCM.

Thanks for sharing this, & bravo for your diligence, commitment & devotion. {} I see so many stories everyday about people/breeders selfishly exploiting this breed.... It’s a refreshing change to see a sphynx owner going above & beyond for their baby! I hope Biggie’s health continues to improve.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Lizanne CoQ10 is usually recommended for cats with existing conditions in conjunction with other heart meds. I believe there aren’t any known benefits of taking it CoQ10, or any other supplements, to prevent HCM of the sphynx breed. It probably wouldn’t do any harm, but there’s no data to show it would help at all either.
Regular HCM screening by a board Certified Cardiologist is really the only “preventative measure” at this time.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Bigglesworth1 ** Also... have you considered participating in Dr. Kate Meur’s HCM research program? She’s collecting blood samples from HCM positive sphynx cats. There’s a form on her website you can fill out & then have your vet collect the sample for you & send it to her! Every little bit helps! Hopefully she will crack the code on this disease!

Bigglesworth1

Lairian
Hey guys, just an update...
Mr Bigglesworth had a massive seizure the other day. It was so unexpected. I was asleep and he was cuddled in my arms, it woke me up. We took him straight to emergency and he was in ICU for 5 days. Anyway he is back home now, no more seizures but we are now on Keppra to prevent them. We are waiting on blood tests to see if he has toxoplasmosis due to his compromised immune system....
Anyway we had a repeat cardiac ultrasound while he was in and his results showed no progression inthe last 12 months. Its the first ultrasound where theres been no progression and the only thingthat has changed in that last 12 months are those supplements.
I am certainly not stopping them after that report. Hes back home and completely back tohis usual self.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am so sorry about the seizure, but so happy he is home and no progression was noted in the last scan...just awesome news! Hoping the new meds continue to stave off seizures.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Seizures suck. And to be in the ICU for 5 days...that must have been awful! It’s awesome though that his progression has halted. I would keep him on the meds too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lizanne

Lairian
Omg, I'm so sorry to hear about the seizure. Poor baby just can't get a break. I'm sending lots of prayers and love your way. But, great news on the HCM. Sounds like you're definetly on to something
I gave your link about the HCM to another Sphynx owner and he is having a hard time finding/getting theHeart Care plus medicine. Do you have a link?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Bigglesworth1

Lairian

Bigglesworth1

Lairian
Just wanted to update all of you guys and let you know that Biggles is STILL doing so well with his HCM. He is off his immunosuppresents, and is only on his blood thinner and heart supplements. He is almost 5 and was diagnosed with HCM at 1. The cardiologist predicted heart failure by 3 years old. I hope this gives hope to all the HCM kitty owners out there!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
So happy for you and your baby. I love seeing these kind of updates. It reminds all to not live in a doom and gloom state after hearing the news, but to cherish every day and enjoy the happiness these guys give us. It is a true gift. @Bigglesworth1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back