Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How often can you groom a Sphynx kitten?

SealySphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sealy gets really oily really fast. Right now I'm only giving him a bath, cleaning nails, and ears once a week but about halfway into the week his ears start to get all gunky again and he starts to get oily again. I don't want to over do it on the grooming because I know with having Chinese Cresteds that doing too much can cause more problems. Is it ok to do his grooming twice a week or should I stick to the once a week routine we have so far?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Sealy gets really oily really fast. Right now I'm only giving him a bath, cleaning nails, and ears once a week but about halfway into the week his ears start to get all gunky again and he starts to get oily again. I don't want to over do it on the grooming because I know with having Chinese Cresteds that doing too much can cause more problems. Is it ok to do his grooming twice a week or should I stick to the once a week routine we have so far?

It is best to go as long as two weeks if possible, ear cleaning is fine once or twice a week. Believe it or not over bathing can create more sebum (oil). http://www.sphynxlair.com/f53/my-sphynx-cat-dirty-10290/

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree, don't bathe too often it also helps to keep his blankets clean or put a shirt on to absorp the oils. Ear cleaning can be done more often as you see fit.
Good luck!

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have to sometimes clean my Boone's ears twice a week, but I dont bathe him more than once a week. I actually haven't given him a bath since before the holidays. Though he's not a sticky Sphynx. I just play it by ear with the bathing:Smile:

fpsparta3

Lairian
I agree with the others - tough it out as best you can. I only bathe her once a month now, it might help to work up slowly. I have to clean ears and nails at least once a week, if not more. Good luck!

Back