Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How often do you actually bathe your Sphynx?

Bella07

Banned
Several websites say that you will have to bathe your Sphynx ranging from weekly, to monthly. Plus, it depends on your cats degree of oil accumulation, etc...I understand that.

But, I'm still curious though. How often do you actually bathe your Sphynx? And, on average, how long does your bath take?

Twice a week? Once a week? Once every two weeks? Once a month? 10 minutes? 20 minutes? You get the point :Wink:

Thanks!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
well before we started using sphynxsuds i was bathing ours 1 or 2 times per week, with nail clipping and ear cleaning along with a bath it takes me about a half hour. now with sphynx suds i go 3 to 4 weeks:Laugh:
and yes it will be available soon!:ThumbsUp:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I do Pedda's ears and pedicure while we're relaxed sitting at the computer so I don't include that in the bathing time. Prep time for the bath takes just a couple of minutes and includes gathering up the towel, getting out the soap, putting water in the tub, getting the washcloths soaped up and ready to use, getting myself nekkid and gathering up the kitty. The actual bath and drying takes between 5-10 minutes.

Pedda has dry skin so she gets a bath every 1-2 weeks depending on how dirty she is. She goes closer to 2 weeks in winter though cause she gets drier and not as dirty.

Inferno12

Banned
I try to bathe Johnny once a week but sometimes its two weeks. We dont go longer than that because he is dirty. It takes us about 10 minutes to bathe and clean his ears. I have to do the nails separate because the bath and ears are enough for one sitting.

I gave Diego his first bath last week and he did not like it at all. We will have to work on him so I will try to stay vigilant so he learns its ok. Nails I am going to attempt tonight

Alice takes about 10 minutes and struggles through the entire process. She gets her bath once a week on Fridays. Alice is a grayish tortie so she doesn't look dirty even when she is.

Dita takes about 10 minutes but doesn't struggle, she just sits and lets me wash her, sometimes she'll mew at me like she wants me to know that the water is getting cold or that her toy is floating to far away. She needs a bath twice a week because she's white/tan so she gets dirty REALLY fast and then smells icky.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie gets a bath every 2 weeks or so. She hasn't gotten fuzzier (flocked) since she turned one and I've found she doesn't get as dirty. Plus she is darker and its hard to actually tell when she is dirty.

SoBe gets a bath atleast once a week. Her belly and pits are white so the dirt just hollars at you to get it off so I can't ignore it very long before it bothers me. Ears are usually done right after bath and since Snuffie usually only gets a bath every two weeks, she normally gets her ears done on Thursday night while we are watching Greys or Private Practice.
Nails are cleaned during the bath process and are clipped as needed atleast once a week.

ktate88

Banned
When I was using the Dove wash on Niles anywhere from 3-7 days. He doesn't like his baths, but rarely tries to jump out. Those took about 10 minutes.

The last bath time we had was a new longer process including soak for his feet grimeys, wash, and conditioner for his back. With the new steps it took longer-- 10 for soak, and maybe 12 for the rest. BUT it paid off-- he is just coming up due for a bath(some grubby areas in his neck and tummy) and its been 17 days now.

I also clean his nails between baths when he's cuddled up with me sleeping. Clip nails and clean ears weekly.

JacksMom

Banned
Jack is not oily, but is tan so dirt seems to start showing up in his head wrinkles by the next day! Also, his neck seems to get dirty within a few days, but to avoid drying his skin, I wait 6-7 days for next bath. Bath days are Thurs or Friday. His skin seems a little dry (just to the touch, not flaky or anything), so last time I put Cetaphil cream on his back (that's the only place that feels dry) (fragrance free dermatologist recommended and very moisturizing without being oily) to see if it helped, which it seemed to.

He's so much better now in his baths...he chills and watches the toys float. Actual bath takes 5-7 minutes. Of course takes a few minutes to fill tub, and get big cups of clean water for final rinse (because he freaks if I turn on water while he's in there!), get his baby washcloth and towel out, his Aveeno baby wash. After bath, then it's cuddle in towel for a few minutes, then apply cream (less than 1 minute), then put on sweatshirt or sweater (just till he warms up, which then gets switched to t-shirt). Then back nails gunk (since back is all he has) get cleaned with Huggies baby wipes (I don't clip back nails...no need that I can figure), then ears take 5 minutes. Then we finish off with treats. Whole process, all in all, probably 20 minutes.

I was starting to wonder if once per week was too much, but from what responses, it seems not :Smile:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I bathe Nudie every 2 weeks if she only has a ring of dirt on her neck, but if her underside starts turning a darker shade it's once a week. I clip her nails a little every week while she sleeps (so much easier and takes only a minute). The ears we do right after her bath. It sounds so easy when I just write it here on the computer, but you should see the fun we have at bathtime- it's a "Hairless Rodeo" :LOL::LOL::LOL:

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lemmy gets a bath roughly every 10 days. I put him in the tub with me and some toys and it is so much easier. It actually only takes like 5 minutes to wash him, but we like to relax after it is done. Then we clean ears which takes awhile because he HATES it!! I take him to the vet for his nails about every two weeks. It saves me the scratches since he will NOT hold still and tries to get away all the time.

holly_savage

Banned
Kokka and Hibou are on a 2 week schedule (roughly). They both get a little grubby in the neck and belly area, but since it is the lighter parts of them, it shows more. Hibou could probably go a little longer, but Kokka actually feels greasy after the 2 weeks. Ewwww!
Nails and ears are done about once a week for Kokka. Hibou's nails I do once a week or so, but her ears, I rarely have to clean them, maybe once a month...she has the cleanest ears ever!
I too get naked in the tub with the first cat, then Greg takes the clean one away in a warmed towel and passes me the next dirty kitty! Hibou sits nice a still, Kokka screams her fool head off and spends the whole time trying to get out...thank god for glass shower doors!

LLevenson

Lairian
Arias gets bathed once a week. He is dark, so you can't really see the dirt on his body, but he starts to leave smudges all over--the sheets, my shirt, and even my skin (he sleeps curled in the crook of my arm and if he goes past 1 week, I will notice that my arm is brown! ick!). His nails are trimmed each week and his ears are done every week too. The whole process take about 20 minutes.

I also wash the sheets the same day as I was wash him and his "treat" for being a good boy and putting up with his bath is a basket full of freshly cleaned warm-from-the-dryer sheets! He is a happy boy when he's in those sheets, let me tell you!

You may think I am nuts, but I can actually tell that when it is all said and done, he likes being clean! He has a little bit more spunk and pride it seems.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:Cool:I started taking the cats to a groomer once or twice a month. She charges me 10 bucks per cat and it takes me 5 mins to drive there. :ThumbsUp: Just depends but they normally stay pretty clean for a while from there.

debnea

Lairian
Tends to be once a week. I have two boys and what has worked well is to fill one side of kitchen sink with warm water and JJ Baby Soap and the other sink with warm water. I have warmed towels for each of them waiting. One wash cloth for each side.
It typically takes about 5 minutes for each. Then clean ears and feet, etc.
This way water is all ready and easy to plop them out of one side and into the other.

Shauntay

Banned
All three get nails and ears cleaned weekly and nails cut weekly. Little Man is extremely fuzzy and although he is mostly white, only needs a bath every few months. His paws are fully furred with a crimped rex-like fur and his nails never get dirty like your typical bald sphynx. Douche and berlin get washed every month or so. The more often I clean Berlin, the dirtier she gets. After a show bath she is gleaming pink but the next day will get very dirty, about a week after a show, she becomes super clean again without a bath. Her skin is always buttery soft, and she smells wonderful! I do have to clean the whole lot of their eyes daily with a warm damp kleenex.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Piglet can go every other week or even three weeks without a bath, but my boy sphynx Peppe (formerly Amo) gets so dirty, he definitely needs a bath once a week. It usually takes about about 10 minutes each for Piglet and Peppe and that's including ears (for both) and nails (Piglet only). I use the organic Thera-Neem Pet Shampoo which is awesome for eliminating sphynx greasiness!

lucabella

Lairian
I bathe Luca and Bella 1x a week. I've never bathed 2x a week although it has crossed my mind. They are both really dirty by the end of the week and even before that. If I don't do it weekly they start to stink and feel greasy. Not only that when they sleep in our bed the sheets get so dirty! :Woo:

I do ears 1-2x a week. My male has excessive ear wax. I clean them and the next day they are bad again. The bath itself is quick. It's the nails and the ears that take a while.

Nair Bare

Lairian
I throw all my cat bathing stuff in a large shopping bag and hang it in a closet. Everything that is needed is kept in this bag and is restocked after the bath for the next time. Peeve goes for almost two weeks before he needs bathing. Bath usually takes less than ten minutes and I can use the kitchen sprayer on him. Then cuddle dry. I do not do any other grooming on bath day.

I clean his ears and nails almost every night while we cuddle watching TV. I keep that stuff right next to my recliner in the TV room so it is easy to do at a moment's notice. I firmly believe that constant handling of their feet, ears and nails makes them much more agreeable to grooming. I take my time doing these routines and Peeve thinks he is just getting cuddled with more touching of his feet, ears and nails. Since I do this most every day, it doesn't have to be done perfectly, or all at once, so Peeve enjoys these daily attentions.

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well I try to go a week and a half. My girls are dark and don't show dirt too much. My boy is light, and man oh man, can he get diirrrrtttyyy! I wash, clean ears, and clean and cut nails. Takes about 20-30 minutes each. Course in sweat equity it seems longer!

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Kokka and Hibou are on a 2 week schedule (roughly). They both get a little grubby in the neck and belly area, but since it is the lighter parts of them, it shows more. Hibou could probably go a little longer, but Kokka actually feels greasy after the 2 weeks. Ewwww!
Nails and ears are done about once a week for Kokka. Hibou's nails I do once a week or so, but her ears, I rarely have to clean them, maybe once a month...she has the cleanest ears ever!
I too get naked in the tub with the first cat, then Greg takes the clean one away in a warmed towel and passes me the next dirty kitty! Hibou sits nice a still, Kokka screams her fool head off and spends the whole time trying to get out...thank god for glass shower doors!

I don't know how you get in with them. When I'm done there is a dirty ring around the tub. So sphynx bath day is also tub scouring day. :Dizzy:

kittygoddess52

Lairian
Oh my, I bath with my MIKA daily. I find the bath relaxing and so does she. It's a bonding time. I don't scrub her down daily, but she loves to wade around in the warm water and then I gently lather her and rinse. I have read that the more you bath, the oily they get. She is very dirty daily and I am having a hard time, but decrease the baths to every other day. I wipe her down and she is filthy. Anyone have suggestions. I will purchase the coconut oil, and start a new regime today. I will attempt to scrub her down more with the exfoliatant gloves. She loves wading in the water, but hates actually getting washed. I've read the more you bath, the more oily they get. Any suggestions. Acutally I don't mind bathing her daily. She loves it, I love it and she feels and smells so good in bed every night.

Jackiee

Lairian
I do Pedda's ears and pedicure while we're relaxed sitting at the computer so I don't include that in the bathing time. Prep time for the bath takes just a couple of minutes and includes gathering up the towel, getting out the soap, putting water in the tub, getting the washcloths soaped up and ready to use, getting myself nekkid and gathering up the kitty. The actual bath and drying takes between 5-10 minutes.

Pedda has dry skin so she gets a bath every 1-2 weeks depending on how dirty she is. She goes closer to 2 weeks in winter though cause she gets drier and not as dirty.

What do you do for your baby's dry skin??

Back