Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How often do you trim your Sphynx’s nails?

How often do you trim your Sphynx’s nails?

• Once a week

Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Every 2 weeks

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • Once a month

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • I never trim them

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other ...please share

Votes: 9 10.8%

• Total voters

JojoCatMama

Lairian
Yes usually it’s about 3 weeks- a month. Once we start getting scratches on us from the cats climbing or playing on us, we know it’s time!

NYC Andrea

Lairian
I clip as many nails as I can when the elements align and Fluff is half asleep. She doesn’t mind her nails being trimmed, she just tries to “help” with the clippers. Or it runs into the paw slap game...

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I trim Binkys nails once a week and clean them as much as possible when she’s relaxed, I just use my nails to clean them as if I bring a wipe near her she runs away. I clean her ears twice a week, as they can get too dirty if I leave it to weekly. I clean her eyes and mouth area daily.

Yoda mom

Staff member
I trim and check nails twice a week
And use the makeup remover wipes weekly to clean around nail beds

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Condo commando , two of mine growl amd complain, one mock bites at my hand and clipper

I found with one of mine it is easier to use a toe nail clipper vs the kitty nail clipper
Weird

meandmytwo

Lairian
I’d like to trim/clean nails weekly but my boys don’t cooperate predictably. We get it done every couple weeks. Sometimes they just let me, other times they fight it. They don’t mind the triming as much as the wiping.

I also use a human clipper.

Wondering what’s the worst that can happen if they rarely/never get wiped. If there was so much buildup to where it looked like it was bothering them, or hindering their function I can see the importance, but is this something that has to be done? One of my boys does have a lot of buildup (on 3 - 4 nails especially) to the point it comes off in kind of like chunks, but doesn’t bother him that I can tell. And, it doesn’t seem to worsen after a certain point. (Maybe it would worsen though, as I haven’t left it more than a few weeks.) Anyone?

Jedmo

Lairian
I’d like to trim/clean nails weekly but my boys don’t cooperate predictably. We get it done every couple weeks. Sometimes they just let me, other times they fight it. They don’t mind the triming as much as the wiping.

I also use a human clipper.

Wondering what’s the worst that can happen if they rarely/never get wiped. If there was so much buildup to where it looked like it was bothering them, or hindering their function I can see the importance, but is this something that has to be done? One of my boys does have a lot of buildup (on 3 - 4 nails especially) to the point it comes off in kind of like chunks, but doesn’t bother him that I can tell. And, it doesn’t seem to worsen after a certain point. (Maybe it would worsen though, as I haven’t left it more than a few weeks.) Anyone?
I only trim my girls nails and she cleans them herself. I never have wiped them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Cinderstar95

Lairian
I clip front claws more frequently than back, but basically whenever they get razor sharp and the cats start getting caught in things. usually every few weeks for mine. I dont trim the back nearly as often as Shazam chews his back nails and they are often already short or broken. I hate it but he just loves crunching away on them DX As for Rora, her back claws are really thick and dont trim well without hurting her. But they have a dull edge because they like to use their back claws to launch off of every piece of furniture in my apartment, so it keeps them in check. They are very proud of their claws and being able to climb my pant leg if they so wish (an unfortunately frequent occurrence. and I dont' have the heart to trim them so short they cant climb the cat tree very well. When they start drawing blood its time to find the clippers.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mr Bagins nails tend to grow faster than Cleo’s
I have loads of the corigated scratch things I have big ones and ones that are flat to the floor round ones
And they do use them !
They are cheap enough to buy and my kitties just love them
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Condo commando , update - I got Macie Bengal her own toe nail clipper -

Worked much better than regular small human nail clipper

She was purring on my lap and I massaged each toe and gently clipped all nails!
It was amazing! She is usually like a tazmanian devil with kitty nail clippers or regular human nail clippers

Have you tried it?
I was amazed .. Finally success! She didn't even run off my lap when we were done

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I trim once she starts getting stuck to the cat tree... if I trim them before that point she has to concept of why I'm torturing her..... lol so I save her from the tree and cut them and then she doesn't put up a fight

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Maddie , Awh
I resorted to try a toe nail clipper for Macie . She has her very own now and nail trimming is a night an day difference using this instead of the regular one I use on the others .
She actually lays on my lap amd I massage each toe and clip
I am still in shock!

Back