Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How Often Is Everyone Bathing Their Cats?

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just wondering if I have an exceptionally crazy cat that seeks out to get dirty... how often does everyone bathe their cats? It is not like our house is dirty... we both have OCD with cleaning... so how does he get so darn dirty.... It is usually 2 - 3 baths a week! :Hysterical:

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well, real bathes where I actually shampoo him, about every week to 10 days, but Oogie LOVES to come in the shower with me when I shower LOL. But he does get dirty pretty quick, I have no idea how! I use bathwipes if I notice him getting dirty between baths.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Our male gets much dirtier then our female, Leo gets a bath once a week, and Athena gets a bath every two weeks or more.:Laugh:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have no clue how Kramer gets so dirty! I have the bath wipes & they help a little but don't get him real clean.... Guess he is just naturally a dirty guy! I would love to bathe him just once a week but that doesn't happen. Of course we get the dirty guy; we are both OCD about things being clean, LOL!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I was just thinking this the other day Leo is like pigpen:Woo: One of our bathrooms has alot of white but now is kitty paws all the time no matter how much I clean. Our daughter was upset last night because he has taken A liking to her new stuffed cow and now all the white on that is brown because he lays on it all day. I could give him A bath every day and he would still be dirty! I stick to once A week with him and wipes in between! I also wish I had stock in clorox wipes because I use about 25 A day wiping up paw prints or spots where he has sat ! When he curles up on my lap or snuggles in bed this is all worth it I love him!:Adore:

Brooke

Banned
Same here, Walter the pig pen leaves little paw prints all over my bathroom! And sometimes when he sleeps on me, if he gets sweaty, when he gets up there will actually be a dirty cat shaped spot on my arm (or neck or leg or wherever he was laying).

I bathe him about once a week to 10 days. I've read that bathing them too often will make them produce more oils in their skin, so in turn, the more you bathe them the more often you'll haveto bathe them...did that make sense?

However, he's gray so dirt doesn't show up on him. Harold was white, and had to get a bath every 5-6 days because his little neck would turn black with dirt!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Baldwin gets dirty...but we're lucky to not have to deal with it as much because he's black and he practically looks the same dirty as he does clean. Our only complaint is that he becomes oily. At any rate, we do the bath thing every Saturday unless we're out of town with a dog competition (which generally means he gets a free week). We do nails and ears at that time too. Even if we skip a bath because we're too busy, I still pull out the dremel and do a quick grind on his nails. Can't have company scratched up, but them getting dirty is okay ;)

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When Meecho was younger I would have to bathe her 2-3 times a week simply because she smelled so bad and mean REALLY bad, now it's about once a week, but I am noticing that with the humidty she is getting much oiler then she normally does so I will more then likely up her baths because it does look gross. She turns from this fleshy white color to a stale grey black color---yuck :Badly2:

Cassidy

Lairian
Hey Everyone, I'm new here and I just got my first Kitten, Yuri about 2 weeks ago. I've noticed she is getting absolutely FILTHY. My house isn't that dirty, so it makes me feel better to read some of you are bathing a few times a week.

When I picked her up the breeder told me the litter I had gotten (Swheat Scoop) was going to make her dirty and I should stick with some kind of pellet (ex: Feline Pine) litter with no dust. I didn't want to listen because I wanted a clumping litter, which seemed easier to me than the pellets. Has anyone noticed that their sphynx stays cleaner with a less dusty litter? If this is really the culprit I'm going to have to change the litter because she was already getting brown dirty spots on her the day after I bathed her! Any tips on litter that might cut back on dust and keep her cleaner would be greatly appreciated!

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My suggestion isn't cheep, but I've got bad allergies, and dust from cat litter, weither it be pellets, clay, or clumping, made them bad! The "pearl" type cat litter was a little better, but I finally got rid of my regular cat boxes and litter and bought a Cat Genie (www.catgenie.com), they're pricy, but WELL worth the money, I could never go back to a regular cat box again, and there's NO dust!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Cassidy and welcome to Sphynx Lair,
I hope you are enjoying your stay! and thanks for joining!:ThumbsUp:
We use clumping litter (tidy cat), we have two cats one is calico ( Athena) and one is grey and white tux (Leonidas), Leo is filthy the day after as opposed to Athena who will stay clean for weeks, so I don't believe it's the litter it's the particular cat and some just have more oil then others.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow, I guess I'm lucky with Piglet! I only have to bathe her once every 2-3 weeks. She just never seems to get that dirty, similar to Athena. The lady I adopted her from told me that Piglet has exceptionally nice skin for a sphynx, so now I see what she meant by that.

I wish I could say the same about Piglet's ears, though....it seems that the black gunk grows in 'em overnight! I have to clean her ears at least 2-3 times a week at the least! :Badly2:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Funny Athena is very clean and her ears are very dirty also! I guess thats the only spot she can't reach, but she loves when I clean her ears, she hates A bath but loves her ears cleaned! I guess she hates to be dirty

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Funny Athena is very clean and her ears are very dirty also! I guess thats the only spot she can't reach, but she loves when I clean her ears, she hates A bath but loves her ears cleaned! I guess she hates to be dirty

Piglet is the opposite of Athena in that regard...she doesn't mind taking a bath, but hates getting her ears cleaned. Although now that I'm using kitty ear wipes instead of Q-tips, she's tolerating the ear cleanings much better than she used to!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I uses the wipes inbetween for ears but never qtips I have A clear cleaner I get from the vet it's cheep like $4 for A good size bottle and squrit it on A cotton ball put in ear and squeez around then wipe with fresh cotton! It works great and they seem to love it no poking and the soulution must feel good?

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I uses the wipes inbetween for ears but never qtips I have A clear cleaner I get from the vet it's cheep like $4 for A good size bottle and squrit it on A cotton ball put in ear and squeez around then wipe with fresh cotton! It works great and they seem to love it no poking and the soulution must feel good?

ilovemysphynx, do you have the name of the ear cleanser? Maybe I can check with my vet to see if he has it in stock also. Anything to make Piglet's ear cleaning ordeal a little easier will be SO helpful!

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know we have talked about using coconut oil on the cats; I never tried it... I heard baby oil worked too... I didn't see much difference in the dirt removal from the baby oil so I figured what the heck I might as well try the coconut oil; since Kramer has to be the dirtiest kitten on the planet; so i put the coconut oil on him (which also kept him busy smelling it) then washed him with baby wash & he is as clean as the day he was born! :BigSmile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Yup thats it Epi-Otic I love it just squirt A bit on A cotton ball and put in ear squeeze the base of ear A few times, Take out cotton and just wipe out the gookie stuff!:Laugh:

AngelSphynx

Lairian
I usually bathe all my Sphynx's once a week. My kitty Myla started getting a REALLY dirty belly lately and I had to find the source of it- wherever she has been laying. She sleeps on top of my tv because it's warm, but I clean it all the time so I knew it had to be something else. She has found a new favorite spot- on top of a corner entertainment center in the master bedroom that is really tall (reaches to almost the ceiling.) She sits up there right under the recessed lighting like she's trying to get a tan or something. lol. Well I found out how very, very dusty and dirty it is up there! So ever since I have cleaned up there (as much as I could) she has been back to her beautiful clean self! You just never know where your Sphynx could be picking up dirt, and we keep a clean house too.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use Dove Supreme for Cleo and Coconut Oil when she gets dried out.
My Mentor told me about the Coconut Oil.
When you show the cat has to be super clean.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yea I think they just pick up the dirt that really isn't visible to the naked eye... Kramer being a kitten tears through the house usually sliding across the floor. We are anal about cleaning; my husband has panic attacks if the house is dirty... LOL! I'm not that bad.

Back