Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

pocovonloco

Lairian
Hi, I’m new here, my name’s Louise and my Sphynx’s named Poco (male) and Pitta (female), they’re not siblings.

Poco is 10 months old and Pitta is 3 months old. I think Poco’s starting to get horny (I don’t know what is the right term for a cat), and I’m not sure if Pitta is ready, so I separated them when I’m not around, and when I’m about to sleep, I put Pitta in my room and Poco in another room.

I’m actually kinda afraid if Poco starts spraying because of the heat, so I actually need some information about when’s the earliest time for female sphynx to get pregnant?

I actually had read some article, but there are too many information. Some of them said female cat is ready to get pregnant on 6 months, but some others said variously, from 10-18 months.

I’m not sure which one to trust, and I actually kind of sad if Poco he has to wait for more than 6 months to start mating with Pitta. Sooo, I need answers from you guys.

And anyway, both of Poco and Pitta don’t have any certification (i.e. CFA, ICA in Indonesia), but they are pure breed, and I am not interested to be a breeder, I just want to keep them as my life companion. But I actually want some kitten from both of them, I might spay them after the first deliver.

Thanks a lot before, hope you all have a great day!

Last edited:

pocovonloco

Lairian
Hi Yoda mom, thanks for responding!

About the mentor, no, I don’t have any mentor, and people around me do not own any sphynx cat, that’s why I’m very not sure and nervous about this topic

And HCM, I live in Indonesia, I still can not find any vet who can do the check for HCM status on a cat. Or if there’s any Indonesian here, can you please give me any recommendation?

Also for FIV and FeLV, I think Indonesian vets don’t count those viruses as a big concern. When I found out about those two (sadly it was 2 days ago), I directly called some vets and asked if they have the vaccine or detector for those 2.

Thank you and have a great day!

Last edited:

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Female cats (Sphynx included) can and do get pregnant at 4 months old. So your little girl can get pregnant at any time. Male cats do not go into heat, and they are usually sexually mature at 5 to 6 months old. Your boy could start spraying at any time.

We did have a Siamese breeding male who did not spray. He was very, very unusual. However, every time our breeding female Siamese (this was many years ago) came into heat, the two of them managed to get together and she got pregnant. We finally had to spay her to stop the pregnancies. I will add that both of our breeders were 18 months old before we started breeding them.

I hate to sound negative, but I am really worried that your little girl may be pregnant either already or within the next couple of weeks. The problem is that she is not mature, and a pregnancy could cause real problems.

pocovonloco

Lairian
Female cats (Sphynx included) can and do get pregnant at 4 months old. So your little girl can get pregnant at any time. Male cats do not go into heat, and they are usually sexually mature at 5 to 6 months old. Your boy could start spraying at any time.

We did have a Siamese breeding male who did not spray. He was very, very unusual. However, every time our breeding female Siamese (this was many years ago) came into heat, the two of them managed to get together and she got pregnant. We finally had to spay her to stop the pregnancies. I will add that both of our breeders were 18 months old before we started breeding them.

I hate to sound negative, but I am really worried that your little girl may be pregnant either already or within the next couple of weeks. The problem is that she is not mature, and a pregnancy could cause real problems.

Hi Cleopatra Beers, nice meeting you, here.

Is there any way to avoid a cat from spraying?
I have one persian cat (male), he is 15 months old and suuuper horny, and has never mating until today, and he is not spraying, too.

I mean, that’s a good thing if Poco do not spray too (or is it actually a bad thing?). But I just do not know how to control it.

I’m actually not in a rush to get Pitta pregnant, older is better, but I only worried about Poco.

Is it okay if we let horny cat be horny for a quite long time?

Regards,
Louise.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi—nice to meet you too! I don’t believe we have ever had a member in Indonesia before.
The only way to be sure your males do not spray is to neuter them. Neutering them can also prevent behaviors like wandering in search of females, fighting with other intact males, and yowling and crying. As far as not spraying, if the male doesn’t spray, that is a good thing. It will not hurt him, and it will save your furniture, walls, flooring and sanity.
As far as I know, and I defer to @momdeeze and @susi794 about this, letting a male be horny is not a bad thing, except for the behaviors.

I am a bit more concerned about your wanting to breed them to have a litter of kittens. Are you going to be ready for some of the problems that happen with having kittens? Hopefully all the kittens will be born healthy, but you could have as many as 6 or more kittens. You may have to supplement feedings, do all the vet visits, including vaccinations, and then find them good homes. Having kittens is fun (we had about 40 Siamese kittens over a few years), but it can also be heartbreaking when things go wrong.

Again, I don’t want to be too negative, but I was in your position years ago. We were lucky; we had extremely healthy kittens for the most part. But we did have some kittens that were extremely sick and it was heartbreaking.

pocovonloco

Lairian
Hi—nice to meet you too! I don’t believe we have ever had a member in Indonesia before.
The only way to be sure your males do not spray is to neuter them. Neutering them can also prevent behaviors like wandering in search of females, fighting with other intact males, and yowling and crying. As far as not spraying, if the male doesn’t spray, that is a good thing. It will not hurt him, and it will save your furniture, walls, flooring and sanity.
As far as I know, and I defer to @momdeeze and @susi794 about this, letting a male be horny is not a bad thing, except for the behaviors.

I am a bit more concerned about your wanting to breed them to have a litter of kittens. Are you going to be ready for some of the problems that happen with having kittens? Hopefully all the kittens will be born healthy, but you could have as many as 6 or more kittens. You may have to supplement feedings, do all the vet visits, including vaccinations, and then find them good homes. Having kittens is fun (we had about 40 Siamese kittens over a few years), but it can also be heartbreaking when things go wrong.

Again, I don’t want to be too negative, but I was in your position years ago. We were lucky; we had extremely healthy kittens for the most part. But we did have some kittens that were extremely sick and it was heartbreaking.

Hi Cleopatra Beers,
Thanks for reminding me about handling kittens. I don’t think I’m ready for now, but I would and must be ready in few months, but again, I’m thinking of having just some kittens from Poco and Pitta’s first deliver, I want to have a little Sphynx family in my house.

Hopefully nothing goes wrong.
I’ll update when Pitta turns 1 year old and also when she gets pregnant!

Thanks a lot guys for the answers, I guess I’ll keep separating Poco and Pitta when I’m not around and when I’m sleeping until Pitta turns 1 year old.

Hope y’all having a very good day!

Regards,
Louise.

Back