Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How Pooner Rogaine entered my life

pooner

Banned
I've posted parts of my story in other threads but I figured it was time I formally introduced myself and Pooner Rogaine. :BigSmile:
My husband and I use to have an english bulldog and found ourselves not being good dog parents. All we ever did was tell her to stop this, stop that, etc. so we decided that she needed a better life. With heavy hearts we gave her to my husbands ex-girlfriend who new the dog since she was a puppy. We were sad at first but when we checked on her and saw how much happier she was we knew we did the right thing. After this we decided we should not have a pet since we didn't want to go through this scenario again, after all pets deserve forever homes.

Last fall (2009) we found ourselves longing for the company of a pet. We tried starting with beta fish and after a few mishaps finally were successful in keeping one. We found ourselves starting to talk to the fish and one day we realized we were both getting close to petting the fish :LOL::LOL:
So after much discussion and thought we decided we were ready to be pet owners again. It had been 5 years since we had a pet. We both decided that this would be a commitment to last the life of the pet we chose. We decided a cat would be the best pet for us.

My husband started researching different breeds of cats and we watched tons of Cats 101 on animal planet. We decided we probably wanted an exotic short hair so we started looking for rescue cats. My husband visited the animal shelters and we both visited a couple of sweet cats we found at the shelters. However none of them were the one, they just didn't look at us and say I'm yours, take me home. So then my husband came across the Sphynx breed. He and I always thought they were unique and beautiful and as we learned more about the personality we thought this could be the cat for us. :ThumbsUp:

We called a breeder to see if she had any cats she wanted to retire. We still really wanted to rescue a cat. She stated she had a older female that had special needs that she wanted to find a forever home for. Somebody had returned her to the breeder after not being able to keep her and she had suffered a bad ear infection which caused some damage and she now walked with a head tilt and did circles occasionally. We went to visit the cat and found her to be sooo sweet and cute. We couldn't decide for sure if she was the one. So we planned to leave and think about it. Before leaving we saw the last kitten the breeder had from the current litter. He was so cute a pink little odd eye with tons of personality. He meowed and told you what he thought and followed the breeder around. He just had to be were she was, it was so cute.
My husband fell in love with him immediately. Of course we weren't planning on spending that kind of money on a cat, especially that day. We kindly thanked the breeder for her time and off we went. We only made it half way home and we were turning around to go get him, we just had to have him! He was the one!! :BigSmile:

In June 2010 I took him to the vet for his one year check up and got devastating news, he had a grade 6 heart murmur and the vet insisted he see a cardiologist. The cardiologist confirmed our sweet little boy has HCM :Cry::Cry::Cry:
The cardiologist is optimistic that Pooner may live to be 8 years old if we are lucky, and I truly hope we get at least that many years. He gets his heart medicine twice a day and the intensity of the murmur has decreased and the regurgitation has seized. However, we know only time will tell. The cardiologist will be doing a follow up this spring and hopefully his heart wall hasn't enlarged any more :Sweat:

So for now my husband and I are just enjoying every day and every second we get with the sweetest, best natured, most loving, cutest and spunkiest cat to ever live. He is bringing us so much joy and fulfilling our lives.:Smile:

pooner

Banned
The HCM was diagnosed at 1 years old. I know his pedigree and both his parents had been screened and were negative at their last screenings. The cardiologist said it can show up later in life and since it is genetic he recommended I contact the breeder so she could get her cats rescreened.
I did contact her and she was extremely devastated and heart broken. She never had a sick kitten or grown cat. She said she was taking them to see cardiologist at WSU.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pooner Rogaine is such a cute name! I hope he has a long healthy life with you. Thanks for telling us how he entered your life, enjoyed reading it.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think it's great that you don't sound pessimistic toward's Pooner's heart murmur. Roll with the punches and make his years enjoyable, I say.

And Pooner Rogaine? Now how in tarnation did you come up with that one? Let me guess. It was your husbands idea? I got the Rogaine part, but Pooner? Cute and fun name.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Great story! Sorry to hear of the HCM. Pooner seems like a special boy and will live a long life with lot's of love! :ThumbsUp:

Gizzymom

Banned
I can totally see how Pooner stole your heart!! And ElGato is right... you gotta just roll with the punches and enjoy every second you have with your special boy. So glad he is doing well on his meds and hope his follow up goes well...

And come on, ElGato.... Pooner??? You don't get it??? :LOL::LOL:

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Great story and welcome to sl! Sorry about the hcm. My Gulliver has it too, we found out when he was 15 months, he will be 2 in May, we are enjoying every moment we have :)

JacksMom

Banned
Thanks for sharing. Pooner sounds like an amazing little guy! It's amazing how much these little ones can bring so much joy and love intour our lives. So true; always enjoy every minute to the fullest!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am so sorry to hear about the HCM. Well i'ts great to know he has great
parent's:BigSmile: who love him so much:Smile: Sometimes we find out about a illness and know they will probably live so long, but sometimes even if they are healthy things can happen. Who knows? Miracle's happen every day.
We all need to LOVE like i'ts our last day.

MalinkaS

Lairian
very, very sorry that the cat has a disease ... a lot of topics on the forum, where they write about the disease, a pity that many suffer ... with us in Russia very few animals die from heart disease, I am very sorry for all .. .

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just read your story...made me happy that he found such great people to love on him but sad that he has HCM. I'm glad it was found early and that he's getting good treatment. I hope you have many happy years together!

gizmo6370

Banned
very, very sorry that the cat has a disease ... a lot of topics on the forum, where they write about the disease, a pity that many suffer ... with us in Russia very few animals die from heart disease, I am very sorry for all .. .

Sorry to say.....but my guess is that there are just as many sphynxes in Russia who suffer from hcm ( because every sphynx breeder is using the same small gene pool )....but maybe there is still less testing in Russia....then in other country's....so that it seems there are less hcm sphynxes....

MalinkaS

Lairian
Sorry to say.....but my guess is that there are just as many sphynxes in Russia who suffer from hcm ( because every sphynx breeder is using the same small gene pool )....but maybe there is still less testing in Russia....then in other country's....so that it seems there are less hcm sphynxes....

Russia is really a huge country, a lot of nurseries sphinxes make tests so well!:Wink:

xxx_phoenix_xxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
lovely story i really enjoyed rading it such a shame about the HCM but i reallyb hope he has a long, healthy, happy life with you and your family. its good that the breeder was showing they carred its not often heard of xx

TortieTerror

Lairian
I am so glad that you and Pooner have found each other. Very sad that HCM was found but it sounds like he had a good prognosis. We have lost two to HCM. There is more awareness now and hopefully we can get a better handle on this one day.
Kisses to Pooner!!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
It took me a while to read this story, :Cry: thank you for sharing it, all of it. I truly showed the huge hearts you and your husband have! Not many would be bold enough to part with the dog to the ex.
As for you next pet search you two sure searched for what was the best for you and I am a true believer in everything happens for a reason and although Pooner has this awful disease he is truly blessed to have such great parents who will do anything for him.
Pooner is a favorite around here and tell him we are on his side and wish him many happy years!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can totally see how Pooner stole your heart!! And ElGato is right... you gotta just roll with the punches and enjoy every second you have with your special boy. So glad he is doing well on his meds and hope his follow up goes well...

And come on, ElGato.... Pooner??? You don't get it??? :LOL::LOL:

I don't get it either, but it's really cute! Someone explain it to us slow wits, lol

Back