Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How to Ask Vet About HCM

NiceGirlsFakeIt

Lairian
I'm in Roanoke, Virginia, so the sphynx community here isn't huge. I would like to have Bellatrix scanned for HCM, just to be on the safe side of things, but I'm not really sure I know how to go about asking my vet to do it. To be honest, I don't feel like I know enough about HCM to be sure I ask the right questions, etc.

Do I just walk in and ask them to test her for HCM? What kind of questions should I ask? Any kind of advice would be appreciated.

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
In my humble opinion it is your right to ask the vet without shame to check your baby.
I don't see anything shameful or wrong with preventive check up or yearly checking on HCM.
After all, it is your baby and you have all the right to know she's healthy at all time on all possible illnesses.
Preventive check up can also lead to getting on medication on time if it's needed to prevent the condition to evolve/get worse without knowledge it is there. But for more information I would say poke the vet.
(or maybe one of our awesome lair members knows more about it.)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@NiceGirlsFakeIt hello :)

It's important to have a good working relationship with your vet -
Heck I wrote down questions to ask bcz I always forget omce I am there lol

I ask my vet on every vet visit to take a good listen of the heart for any murmurs
Good to get a subjective baseline from your vet .
(They can have ghost murmurs they outgrow and a stress related murmur from just being at the vet )

@Catzzzmeow can add valuable input on age to scan etc
How old is Bellatrix ?

most vets have a cardiologist they refer to -
I sent you a PM about an organization that has a map of the US with scan clinics
They were nice when I called them .

They have a location listed in Richmond Virginia and a cardiologist name number etc
Their website has HCM info I found helpful

Head smooches!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
That’s great you are already being proactive and want to get a baseline. I’d just chat with your vet that you are aware HCM is now a concern with the breed. Most vets/breeders think getting an echocardiogram at 1 years of age is where to start. I know many think listening to the heart for murmurs is a good start, but only about 50% of Cats with murmurs actually develop HCM....the other cases where no murmur was detected are the scariest because people just had no idea. As mentioned your vet will probably refer you to a cardiologist.