Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How to bath my sphynx if she hates it?

Jan Buhrmann

Lairian
Hello everybody, I am Jan from Berlin. Since 10 weeks I have a little Sphynxkitten Emma and since two weeks the two year old Marwin. Emma hates it if I try to bath her. She acts like in a cartoon, screeming and all praws spreat out of her body. I tried different strategies: sink in the kithcen, sink in the bathroom, a bathtub for babies and finally the big bathtub with me inside. The final idea seemed to be the best, because Emma got curious and tried to get into the bathtub. So I helped her in, and the theatre began again. I tried to wipe her with a soft towel and some coconut-oil. It worked quite good, my last try was with wet stripes for babies to clean her.
BUT does anyone have an idea to get her into the bath? The previous owner of Marwin told me, that he likes to bath. So, what do you think, is it a good idea to bath both cats at the same time?
looking forward to your ideas and advices....have a great day

Attachments

• 22343620_10213569666411709_64737482_o.jpg
    22343620_10213569666411709_64737482_o.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 26

Yoda mom

Staff member
Hi Jan amd Emma

Here is a spa day link
Max & Min’s Spaw Treatment Routine

I do put on exfoliating gloves to hold slippery kitty to put them in the flexi bath.

Mine do better with less water amd a small towel in bottom of the flexibath for traction with the drain plug out over the bathroom sink.
I really love Hylyt shampoo soap free hypoallergenic and rinses very quick and easy - purrfect for my water haters

Have you tried different levels of water ?
Some kitties do better with more water In the tub and very warm water

I have never tried the garden tub with more than one kitty in at one at once
For me it would be double trouble

I am sure others will chime in with great suggestions

Your babies Emma and Marwin are adorable!

You may have seen this link for some suggestions
Bathing your Sphynx Cat and why.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Jan Buhrmann ,
I did give up on baby wipes for in between touch ups -

Now I squirt a few small drops of Hylt shampoo in a large pitcher of warm water with baby face clothes
For wipe downs on my 4 bath haters
I haven't any skin issues amd I can go longer between full spa day baths-
6 weeks or more

I also noticed when I changed there food from Acana they were waaaay less oily .
It was amazing how much less greasy . I never thought I would say I could go more than two weeks for full baths

I do nails amd ears twice a week

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphyxlair. Marwin and Emma are so cute.

Maybe you can bath Marwin and keep the door open so Emma can come to take a look when she wants too? Hopefully this way she learns bathing is not too bad. Best is to wait with bathing Marwin untill he is used to you and his new environment.

My crew hates bathing and only thing that works a little is to bath them like I'm speedy gonzales!

Back