Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How to Detect fraud sphynx cat adoption ads

What are some blatant and obvious signs of fraud or scams have you read about or stumble upon? Have any tips to avoid fishy transactions and deals. I would love to know some pointers, feel free to share.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpartisMommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Re: How to Detect fraud adoption ads

Hello and welcome to the lair. There have been some people on here unfortunately who have been scammed hopefully they will be able to give you some heads up. I would say deal with someone local that you can visit. Good luck.

lunasmum

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think if they won't allow you to see the kitten/cat in person it's fake, If the price is under about 1600 it's questionable too, it's best only to buy from a registered breeder, do research never buy if your even 1% unsure, I had someone sending me emails constantly asking me about myself, my home and why I wanted a sphynx, it was a scam in the end because there address turned out not to exist and they wouldn't let me call them or visit, they try to groom you

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My suggestion is get referrals, go local so you can visit with the breeder before sending money, and always ask a lot of questions. Best of luck!!!

Alimoore

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

The biggest red flag is when they have a post saying that they are in LA, or anywhere, and when you message them about picking up the kitten or seeing the kitten and they say they are actually somewhere else. This is a HUGE red flag. If they arent where they say they are, just stop replying. Also if they want you to send the money so that they can fly them out even though you could pick them up, thats also a big no no. As for price, it really depends on the area that you live. Luna said anything less than 1600 is sketchy but here in the USA thats really high for a pet sphynx unless its an Elf or a show cat. I usually dont trust anything below 800, usually 1000 t0 1200 is a good price in the USA unless its an older cat. Also do your research with the breeder. See if anyone has said anything about them. My best advice, is to pick a breeder that you can actually visit just so you know that there really is a kitten there that you could take home and not a fake picture that someone has stolen form someone else.

This is such an excellent question! Thank you for asking, I'm going to watch this thread.

I saw most of the ads last night before I found this site, and most people were asking $1,600 with a $300 non refundable deposit fee and a shipping fee of $400. Is this normal?

admin

Administrator
Staff member

• Do not ever send money Western Union.
  • If possible - get a cat or kitten that is in driving distance of your home.
  • Most breeders selling kittens or people re-homing or adopting out will communicate no problem via phone, emails or in person. If not - look somewhere else.
  • Visit the breeder or home to see living conditions and the health and welfare of other pets & animals.
  • Google the breeder, do as much online research about the breeder as possible.
  • The typical price for a "pet" sphynx is between 1000 - 1500. if the kitten is older it is possible to get him at a lesser price.
  • If it sounds too good to be true - it is!

Hope this helps! I am making this thread a sticky for people researching this issue so please give input Sphynxlair members.

Last edited:

susi794

Staff member

If there are no local breeders in your area and you have to do business long distance--ask for a picture of the kitten with a sheet of paper with your name on it in the picture--or with something else of your choosing that wouldn't normally be on a pic that someone else has posted. Ask for the litter registration information from CFA or TICA whichever agency with whom they are registered ( This just occurred to me, but it seems logical to me. I think with that information, you can most likely know for sure who the breeder is--I don't register my litters right away though and am not sure if other breeders do either...but this would be worth a try for sure. Ask lots of questions--suggest you might fly out for a face to face even if you don't go--to check their reaction--scammers won't want you to make a visit. Ask other people for recommendations, but remember that eveyone has a different experience--what was bad for them might not be bad for you and likewise what was good might not be for you either. Google the cattery name, check the rip off reports, look at the breeder's website, ask for pics showing the growth of the kit as it matures. Talk lots of times--listen for inconsistancies. Follow your gut--if ANYTHING feels wrong, it most likely is.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

If there are no local breeders in your area and you have to do business long distance--ask for a picture of the kitten with a sheet of paper with your name on it in the picture--or with something else of your choosing that wouldn't normally be on a pic that someone else has posted. Ask for the litter registration information from CFA or TICA whichever agency with whom they are registered ( This just occurred to me, but it seems logical to me. I think with that information, you can most likely know for sure who the breeder is--I don't register my litters right away though and am not sure if other breeders do either...but this would be worth a try for sure. Ask lots of questions--suggest you might fly out for a face to face even if you don't go--to check their reaction--scammers won't want you to make a visit. Ask other people for recommendations, but remember that eveyone has a different experience--what was bad for them might not be bad for you and likewise what was good might not be for you either. Google the cattery name, check the rip off reports, look at the breeder's website, ask for pics showing the growth of the kit as it matures. Talk lots of times--listen for inconsistancies. Follow your gut--if ANYTHING feels wrong, it most likely is.
This is excellent advice Susi :Smile:

Joanne

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
There were no breeders in my area and it cost me $250 to fly the kitten from NJ to MA. Before I got in touch with this breeder, I had answered an ad on-line in reference to someone re-homing two sphynx kittens. He said he was going into the army and couldn't take the kittens with him. He asked me to send him $500 to ship the kittens. When I said I would prefer to pick them up in person I did not hear from him again. Just be careful and if you can visit the breeder's home that would be a plus.

lunasmum

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The biggest red flag is when they have a post saying that they are in LA, or anywhere, and when you message them about picking up the kitten or seeing the kitten and they say they are actually somewhere else. This is a HUGE red flag. If they arent where they say they are, just stop replying. Also if they want you to send the money so that they can fly them out even though you could pick them up, thats also a big no no. As for price, it really depends on the area that you live. Luna said anything less than 1600 is sketchy but here in the USA thats really high for a pet sphynx unless its an Elf or a show cat. I usually dont trust anything below 800, usually 1000 t0 1200 is a good price in the USA unless its an older cat. Also do your research with the breeder. See if anyone has said anything about them. My best advice, is to pick a breeder that you can actually visit just so you know that there really is a kitten there that you could take home and not a fake picture that someone has stolen form someone else.
O yea hehe I'm in australia, I Also went with a well known breeder and Luna is from international show champion blood lines so 1600 was cheap for her really, where I live there so rare anything but a registered breeder is likely a scam :(

flying sphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi I have a idea if you see someones cat you like on here pm them and ask about where they got their baby from . Just remember to use the pm . That might be of some help .

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I was so freaked about getting ripped off, I asked the breeder to text me a pic of her driver's license.
Naturally because she's a kind-hearted soul she did as I requested which calmed my husband down because he's a security guard and didn't like me getting a money order for someone I never even met!!!
I used a U.S. Postal service money order for the initial deposit for El. I held onto the receipt portion of it.
I googled her address, her house was right where she said it would be!
She's on my Facebook, I've been to her house 3 times, I know her kids...I had a very positive experience with her.

susi794

Staff member
Remember that you can have a cat shipped C.O.D.--the breeder can send the cat to you and you pay when you pick the cat up. So you shouldn't have to send money to a breeder you're nervous about. Tell the breeder to ship the cat C.O.D. a scammer won't like that. For our foreign members, C.O.D. means cash on delivery. You pay when you pick up the package.

I was on Michigan rescue and almost got scammed when I wanted to come look at so called kittens instead of a courier delivering them and never heard from this person again...So people be careful

uzska75

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When I started my search the first person I talked to via email about adopted a sphynx was a scam. I saw red flags right away.
First off she didn't care to meet me, didn't ask me any questions, just simple said in her responce email that the cat would arrive one week later via a transport company. I was told to give the fee for the cat and the transport to the transport people.
When I emailed her back stating I was not interested anymore she emailed me again stating to expect the car to arrive on a date and particular time.
I didn't respond again and blocked her email address from mine.
Hope this helps someone

I am currently messaging someone about a kitten in Florida
I live in SoCal. She said she will send pictures with my name and today's date on a paper. With the kitten. But will not do COD. But she did tell me to add her on facebook. I checked it out but she just joined fb in December. I'm a little cautious... I'm going to see if she will chat online or give me her phone number. If not I guess I know it's a scam. Any other tips?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I live in SoCal. She said she will send pictures with my name and today's date on a paper. With the kitten. But will not do COD. But she did tell me to add her on facebook. I checked it out but she just joined fb in December. I'm a little cautious... I'm going to see if she will chat online or give me her phone number. If not I guess I know it's a scam. Any other tips?
Welcome - At minimal she should be willing to talk via phone. I would also request references and to speak to her current vet if possible. If she declines these requests - Move on!

Good luck!

Welcome - At minimal she should be willing to talk via phone. I would also request references and to speak to her current vet if possible. If she declines these requests - Move on!

Good luck!
Thank you! I've been wanting a rescue for a long time. But just recently been on the search because of my new living situation. :)

This exact thing happened to me. I responded to an add, and her email didn't make a lot of sense, so I googled her(and her email). Her facebook was created one month before and all her pictures were of the kittens. her story was her daughter had died leaving her with the litter and she didn't want them. Maybe true, but I'd sent my number in the email and she wouldn't call me. I moved on. Waiting for a rescue/adoptable is patience-trying but your baby is out there somewhere! <3

This exact thing happened to me. I responded to an add, and her email didn't make a lot of sense, so I googled her(and her email). Her facebook was created one month before and all her pictures were of the kittens. her story was her daughter had died leaving her with the litter and she didn't want them. Maybe true, but I'd sent my number in the email and she wouldn't call me. I moved on. Waiting for a rescue/adoptable is patience-trying but your baby is out there somewhere! <3
I her for a phone number or even to video chat, and she refused both and made excuses about why she didn't have a phone or she didn't have video chat. Also all the photos we're of the cat as well on her facebook. There was 1 picture of her, then I did a reverse search on Google of that picture, and I found it was on some weird dating site linked with a completely different name and completely different location. This makes ne very sad. People are crazy?! I know I will find my baby girl one day hopefully soon.

SarahLovee82

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When I got Bentley he was from Virginia & I'm in CT. Breeder was amazing, I cannot rave enough about her. Such a sweet lady. She offered to meet me halfway in Maryland so we didn't have to ship him, she sent me TONS of photos without me even having to ask, she WANTED to talk on the phone with me instead of just through emails! I asked her to put Bentley next to a soda bottle or juice bottle so I could see how big he was (I wanted to make sure to ask for something weird)
Go with your GUT! As far as price, prices are all over the place. Usually cats without papers are cheaper so $1600 seems really high to me unless it was a champion show cat or something along those lines, or if insurance for a year was included or something along those lines.
You can't always see sicknesses but you can see if a kitten is really dirty or if their eyes are red or look swollen.
Don't be afraid to ask for pictures of all kinds of things! I asked for pictures of Bentleys feet, his belly, his ears, I wanted to try & look for skin issues via pictures! Good luck!

I've been looking into getting a Sphynx for about a year now. I've had ferrets, harlequin great danes, tabby cats, ducks, birds, rats, snakes, you name it...but I have never seen the level of scammage as with these little guys. I did my breed research for a couple months, then my cost stuff and decided to earnestly look around tax time. I drove from DC to Cincinatti to get one of my danes because I wanted to see where he lived and all that. I'd drive a thousand miles easy for my Sphynx so I'm not going for any of this shipping biz. I also feel I don't want it to come off a scarry, lonely, airplane to a complete stranger. It seems I will have to stick really tough to my no shipping policy to avoid scams as well.

lucylue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've been looking into getting a Sphynx for about a year now. I've had ferrets, harlequin great danes, tabby cats, ducks, birds, rats, snakes, you name it...but I have never seen the level of scammage as with these little guys. I did my breed research for a couple months, then my cost stuff and decided to earnestly look around tax time. I drove from DC to Cincinatti to get one of my danes because I wanted to see where he lived and all that. I'd drive a thousand miles easy for my Sphynx so I'm not going for any of this shipping biz. I also feel I don't want it to come off a scarry, lonely, airplane to a complete stranger. It seems I will have to stick really tough to my no shipping policy to avoid scams as well.

I am sorry you feel that way. I got my baby from a breeder in Florida and I live in Tacoma WA. My baby came to me safe, warm from an airplane. She still had food and water in her carrier and was warm as could be. And we have had her 4 days now and she fits in this family awesome. She was not scared of us at all. Lots of kisses and loves and she is our angle. Thank God we found such a great breeder that sent us an angle.

I am going to be the proud owner of a Sphynx and I did a lot of research. When I did find a breeder I asked to see his Kings and Queens and asked for a visit. Has the breeder said no, we'll I would not be getting a cat from them. Also I emailed the Catherine's where is queens came from to verify there were sold as breeders. Hope that helps.