Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How to Detect fraud sphynx cat adoption ads

Fluffyseti

Lairian
I ran into lots of scammers on Craigslist! For some reason they always move to Maryland! Still I got my WONDERFUL HEALTHY Baby Girl, Streaker ('cause she is naked) from a Craigslist Los Angeles ad! I asked for a picture taken that day and if I could pick up. I met with a lovely hobby breeder with both parents on sight and saw all the vet records. I let my kitten PICK ME. My advice is ONLY PICK UP LOCALLY, go in daylight, and bring someone with you. Craigslist like everything else is bad and good. BE SAFE!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I have seen this circulating. I think it is totally is disgusting that anyone would do this to an animal. There are scam artists, but the people who fall for the cheapest, get it quick, I need it now mentality, are often the ones who help keep this stuff going. Who in their right mind would buy a Sphynx or any kitten for that matter without seeing a pic of it? Who would pay any price for a cat and not take it out and look at it before handing over $ ? Who agrees on a price, meets and then says will you take $550 rather than the $700 previously agreed upon? Then for her to say it was like the kitten was practically thrown at them....I think not. I have to give quite a bit of blame to this person who now because of their poor decisions and lack of research is getting their 5 minutes of fame. To then say she works full time and she's considering reporting the scam to the RCMP and SPCA, but that wasn't something that immediately occurred to her. Really? So by not reporting this except (what appears to be to a news station) it turns into it is about her and not the protection of other kittens having this happen to them in the future. Something feels completely wrong on all accounts.

That was my rant for the morning...lol. Had this been a member in community I would would be biting my lip so hard right now.

Patti

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yeah I posted the article in the other forum yesterday morning.
I also found the girls FB page and it does seem like shes being all "poor me" blah blah blah
But like you said Patti what about the kitties! I believe so far three people have come forward
who fell for the same thing.

These women who wanted to get a Sphynx shouldnt be allowed to get one because they clearly
did not do very good research!
Sphynxs dont cost $550 or $700. I think starting price is roughly $1200-and ranges and probably exceeds $2000
So BOOM right there that should have been an eye opener & huge red flag for them!

2nd - Not going to the "breeders" place to see the kitten/level of care it was getting...... Normally I believe the process
is you go to the breeders, pick out your baby or let them pick you ;) and then put down a deposit and then wait said amount
of weeks until gotcha day..... So that should have been red flag #2!

3rd - Having the kitten dropped off with no vet records or anything...............

Its 2016 with wonderful resources such as the internet and websites like this I do not understand how people can be so
gullible and stupid!

I seriously hope and pray these sickos are caught. And the poor innocent kitties that were tortured receive the best utmost love, and
nurturing for the rest of their lives because they will sure need it!
ANNND I hope that no one feels sorry for the women who fell for the scam - in the sense of lets say offering them a Sphynx (just an example!) because they clearly are not knowledgeable enough for the breed as far as im concerned.

/rant over!!!

Mariah Joubert

Lairian
Hello i found a kitten breeder the website i need help finding out if its a scam. i did contact the international cat association i saw it on their website but haven't heard back. they said their kittens are reduced price. $680 to ship from Louisiana to Manchester nh. has anyone heard of them or done business with them. or does anyone know of a reputable breeder i can get it touch with. any help will be greatly appreciated !

raremage

Lairian
Great thread - I wish I had found it earlier as it may have saved me some time, but luckily I had previous experience finding a relatively rare breed pet via the 'Net, so that helped me a bit (a Vizsla puppy, for anyone interested).
Since I recently went through the search and 'acquisition' process I thought i would share my experiences to hopefully benefit others.

I started searching via Google using various terms and found numerous ads in nearby towns. Literally every ad required me to text the "breeder" and generally I got quick replies. Very quickly I started to see the same red flags over and over:
  1. All communications is via text message or email. No phone calls.
  2. The ads are always on a third party site, such as hoobly or oodle. Not a link to an actual site, or via TICA, etc.
  3. We would schedule a call, but something always came up and they were unable to call me.
  4. The number I was texting with would hit a generic voicemail or be unreachable if I tried to call that number. These are web-based SMS systems, not an actual mobile number.
  5. In every case the ad was advertising a price significantly under the market - usually between $400-$500 for a breed that should demand $1200 and up. In other words, too good to be true.
  6. Although the ad listed the location as nearby, they had always just moved, across the country, so there was little chance I could actually come to pick up. Apparently the cat population of Seattle is growing significantly. Also Baltimore.
  7. Finally, it was all about me sending the money immediately, via western union or moneygram, and the kitten would ship the next morning.
Now let me cover what was my *actual* buying experience with an excellent breeder.

1. I found her site via a link on the TICA site.
  2. I contacted her via a 'contact' page on her site and heard back quickly.
  3. Via email she sent me her contract and some other documents. Her contract doesn't allow us to breed the kittens and require they be offered back to the breeder should we for any reason decide we can't keep her.
  4. We traded additional email and she asked multiple qualifying questions. Finally she asked that I call her, sending me her number.
  5. We spoke immediately and we both asked and answered questions. She clearly had the interest of the kitten in mind.
  6. She actually had two available - one a kitten and the other an adult that had been through one breeding, available at a lesser price. WHile this won't always be the case, it also signals an actual breeder rather than a scammer.
  7. She provided multiple references that all gave glowing reviews.
  8. After speaking with references, I sent a deposit via PayPal and she immediately updated her website to show our kitten as "on hold."
  9. We scheduled a pickup and I drove (from Orlando to Raleigh) to meet her, see the other cats, and pay for and pick up our new family member. As an alternative she offered to fly the kitten personally to Orlando (at my expense) but wasn't comfortable shipping it.
  10. Finally - a personal buying experience, face to face pick up, and lots and lots of information over my two hours in her home to go over everything.
This was a great experience for me (though a long drive!) and I would not hesitate to recommend this breeder to anyone. If we decided to add a second (or more) I would definitely call the same breeder.

BriannaPHL1995

Lairian
New Scammer alert
Name: Ellen Jenkins (so they say)
said she was rehoming her sphynx for $400 in VA.
I figured its a scam because
1. she texts me from a bandwidth number registered in Wichita lol
2. she responds to emails super slow
3. I googled the number and it said that it was used in a previous scam where someone was "selling" maltese puppies

The number attached (316) 247-0465
and email used ellenjenkins634 at gmail.

STAY SAFE

Mary hannon

Lairian
What are some blatant and obvious signs of fraud or scams have you read about or stumble upon? Have any tips to avoid fishy transactions and deals. I would love to know some pointers, feel free to share.
Hello, I’m in contact with someone from family sphynx kittens prices are really good, just wondering if anyone had bought or know anything about the site. They have some beautiful cats for sale: just wondering if it’s too good to be true.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mary hannon , welcome to the lair family
I am glad you are going your research
We can't mention names of catteries in the public thread but feel free to PM
It to me .

One thing I do is ask for referrals, Google cattery name with the word review or ... Complaints etc.
I ask to see HCM scan records , ask if they breed multiple breeds , cats dogs etc
How long a breeder , are the sire & dame on site , co-owned ?
Kittens cage raised or underfoot .

I also google the phone number . In the past I have found both Positve and negative reviews this way and it can also give results for other ads for cats and dogs Some breeders list on various sites .

I am not familiar with family sphynx personally

I kindly ask the breeder to email me a copy of a blank contract and read it thoroughly , fine print .
Some require a wellness check within a few days of gotcha day or contract is void, some void contract if given certain vaccines .

Do your research , go with your gut and ask lots of questions.

Reas through the posts in this link you posted in- it has a lot of great info

You can also post a new thread / introduction asking members to PM you with a reputable breeder in your area
To add to the list of breeders you are interviewing for a sphynx kitty or adult adult adoptee.

It's a 20 yr commitment getting a new kitty in your life
So kudos to you for researching for a purrfect fit :)

Safariflower

Lairian
I spotted 2 scammers already who wanted me to pay for shipping and not talk to them at all, asked very little info about me. Then today, found a website that looked too good to be true. She emailed me abd I asked where she was located, she said Virginia, i happen to live in VA as well. When I offered to stop by and meet the kittens, she stopped respondind. Sharing info so others dont get scammed. Here’s the email she sent me along with the site info that is still live, cant post link but its amysphynxkittenshome

Thank you for visiting our site and for your inquiry regarding our lovely Sphynx kittens for sale. We are familiar with this breed and have raised them over the years and we have made out time to properly educate ourselves on the breed to be of help to you as a prospective buyer. All our lovely cuddles are raised here in our home around kids and people.Very good for people who are allergic to cats with hairs.

They always sit with us on the couch and they enjoy meeting our guests quite often.They have all had their first and second set of shots implying that they are all vet checked and up to date on all shots and vaccines and are now ready and fit to move into new homes with their new owners with 1 year Health Guarantee certificate and Registration papers. 10-13 weeks is just a perfect age for re-homing.

We breed for the sake of experience and for the love of the breed so our fees are affordable enough for any pet loving family.They will be going for $500 Each.This is a cat which enjoys lavishing love on his human companions as much as they love the same treatment in return. Let me know your final choice of kitten on our website

and I will advice you on the next step towards getting the kitten in your home.

Where are you located?

Which kitten are you looking at?

Please get back to me for the next step.

Thank You!

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We live in a terrible world that people steep to such low morale levels ! With no regard for life at all !
They are lovers of money !
No regard for nothing or no one but themselves
I lost £50 that is pennies compared to what others have lost , and the person only lived 15 miles away from me , there were two kitties left and they had had five calls so I needed to put down the £50 to secure the kittie whilst my daughter and her partner drove to pick him up ... was a proper address but they had no clue about sphynx kitties and had reported it to the police themselves as people were rocking up on their door step
so 5 people at £50 adds up
You feel so stupid I’ve got pics and everything of the boy I was getting but it wasn’t real
Hugs
Anita & Cleo xx❤❤

Bailey21

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I spotted 2 scammers already who wanted me to pay for shipping and not talk to them at all, asked very little info about me. Then today, found a website that looked too good to be true. She emailed me abd I asked where she was located, she said Virginia, i happen to live in VA as well. When I offered to stop by and meet the kittens, she stopped respondind. Sharing info so others dont get scammed. Here’s the email she sent me along with the site info that is still live, cant post link but its amysphynxkittenshome

Thank you for visiting our site and for your inquiry regarding our lovely Sphynx kittens for sale. We are familiar with this breed and have raised them over the years and we have made out time to properly educate ourselves on the breed to be of help to you as a prospective buyer. All our lovely cuddles are raised here in our home around kids and people.Very good for people who are allergic to cats with hairs.

They always sit with us on the couch and they enjoy meeting our guests quite often.They have all had their first and second set of shots implying that they are all vet checked and up to date on all shots and vaccines and are now ready and fit to move into new homes with their new owners with 1 year Health Guarantee certificate and Registration papers. 10-13 weeks is just a perfect age for re-homing.

We breed for the sake of experience and for the love of the breed so our fees are affordable enough for any pet loving family.They will be going for $500 Each.This is a cat which enjoys lavishing love on his human companions as much as they love the same treatment in return. Let me know your final choice of kitten on our website

and I will advice you on the next step towards getting the kitten in your home.

Where are you located?

Which kitten are you looking at?

Please get back to me for the next step.

Thank You!
My mom and I actually almost got scammed from that exact website (anasphynx) as well back in December! Right away I felt it was too good to be true with her "50% off" and selling the kittens for $500 each as a Christmas special. I even emailed the TICA since her website claims that shes registered but they never responded to me. We sent her our license photo and were prepared to go to the airport to pick up the little angel! Once she asked me for a money gram I knew it was a scam... people are just terrible! Hopefully people will realize and not give away their hard earned money to be taken advantage of.

Autymn M

Lairian
I am sorry you feel that way. I got my baby from a breeder in Florida and I live in Tacoma WA. My baby came to me safe, warm from an airplane. She still had food and water in her carrier and was warm as could be. And we have had her 4 days now and she fits in this family awesome. She was not scared of us at all. Lots of kisses and loves and she is our angle. Thank God we found such a great breeder that sent us an angle.
Hi! What airline did you use? I am so nervous for my new baby to fly alone. I feel like I need to spend extra and fly myself out there to get her and then home.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Can someone please tell me if platinum Sphynx is a scam
No scam alerts, however their page doesn’t include health/care information, kitten contract, about us, or really anything other than kittens with prices and a vague page of their breeders. Perhaps the owners aren’t very tech-savvy, but if your contact them and they don’t have a kitten contract or show proof of HCM scans for their breeders, then I say scam! Regardless if you ‘actually’ receive a kitten from them, health records, scans, and contracts are a crucial part of running a proper cattery. There are plenty of reputable and responsible breeders out there. Search around the Lair for sphynx you like in the media section, and ask for people to PM you their breeders’ names. Happy searching!

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My 2 cents....

Part of me thinks if it sounds too good to be true you should walk away BUT THEN:
(1) Just because you pay top dollar doesn't mean you get a 100% healthy kitten, and
(2) A regular person might have a wonderful litter of healthy kittens for less money because they don't have to pay for marketing or shows or any of that stuff that goes with running a cattery.

Suzimowery

Lairian
Has any one heard of a cattery in Arkansas called ....(PM for cattery name ) or other I’ve paid lots of money and am
Not
Entirely sure I am getting a kitten please help

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Suzimowery , have you checked the complaint boards , Google cattery name , numbers , reverse image Google check

All paws crossed for you

Pm me with the breeder name cattery name info and number
More than willing to help (((hugs)))

Suzimowery

Lairian
Good morning did you get my msg I’m not entirely sure I’ve figured out how to work this site yet

Dublin Riis

Lairian
@Bailey21 I'd be SICK if I were scammed, especially when I saved my hard earned money for months and get my hopes up.
I think the breeder's Facebook page may be a good place to look. I went as far back as I could with her history in breeding and it shows who her friends are in the industry and show world. It may(?) be possible to be scammed on this level too, but not as likely in my opinion as an ad online or the papers. You also may run into breeder with unsavory tactics that can be just as disturbing as being scammed. Overall, search, search, search before giving up your precious money and open heart to your next family member. It's so easy to jump in head first when you're excited about being a new owner

Suzimowery

Lairian
@Bailey21 I'd be SICK if I were scammed, especially when I saved my hard earned money for months and get my hopes up.
I think the breeder's Facebook page may be a good place to look. I went as far back as I could with her history in breeding and it shows who her friends are in the industry and show world. It may(?) be possible to be scammed on this level too, but not as likely in my opinion as an ad online or the papers. You also may run into breeder with unsavory tactics that can be just as disturbing as being scammed. Overall, search, search, search before giving up your precious money and open heart to your next family member. It's so easy to jump in head first when you're excited about being a new owner
Yes I’m about there sick to
My stomach I have no other money and the amount I have up already I wont
For a long time I guess it just wasn’t meant to be for us just now I hope I can catch these guys with the proper authorities and get them off the web

Dublin Riis

Lairian
@Autymn M A breeder will have the kitten fly within the cabin and in the company of a courier, for an increased fee. The courier, of course, is the convenience of getting the kitty to you, safely instead of you making the trip yourself. Because of STRICT (weather related?) airline rules and shipment of animals, this or live-animal cargo is the best way to ship if the trip is too far to travel yourself. Either way, the cost is substantially more than the price of the cat. You will weigh what's important for you at the time