Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How to Detect fraud sphynx cat adoption ads

Dublin Riis

Lairian
@Condo commando I agree. The cost of kittens usually is for the upkeep of everything behind the scenes. What we see as potential buyers is just an ADORABLE kitty that we MUST have! What the breeder sees is upkeep of food, litter, vet bills for preliminary care, travel fees for shows and show fees. There are breeders out there who will neuter/spay BEFORE being placed in a home. Don't forget there may also be the pet insurance a kitty may come with.

Ssniderwin

Lairian
Just had my first experience with an attempted scammer. They posted in Houston. However, upon contact, they said they were in El Paso, and posted the add around Texas. Further research pulled up a number outside of Garland, TX. Their first request was for a Western Union transfer. I promptly declined that offer. Their next offer was through PayPal, but using the "Friends and Family" option. Again, I declined.

Then they started shooting off email after email, texting, as well as calling me once. These emails included pictures, as well as verbiage that was to pull at my heart strings. I decided to do some more fishing with them before I turned them into Google as a scam. After further contact, they stated the delivery company would call and ask for a Google verification password. At this point, I was positive it was a scam.

Not sure if it is OK to post their contact info here so that others can avoid dealing with them.

Lucky for me, I do not make fast emotional decisions.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Brandyb053108 kudos for you doing your research
We can't post specific names but if anyone is looking to adopt in Texas they can PM you to verify they are not dealing with the same scammers

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just had my first experience with an attempted scammer. They posted in Houston. However, upon contact, they said they were in El Paso, and posted the add around Texas. Further research pulled up a number outside of Garland, TX. Their first request was for a Western Union transfer. I promptly declined that offer. Their next offer was through PayPal, but using the "Friends and Family" option. Again, I declined.

Then they started shooting off email after email, texting, as well as calling me once. These emails included pictures, as well as verbiage that was to pull at my heart strings. I decided to do some more fishing with them before I turned them into Google as a scam. After further contact, they stated the delivery company would call and ask for a Google verification password. At this point, I was positive it was a scam.

Not sure if it is OK to post their contact info here so that others can avoid dealing with them.

Lucky for me, I do not make fast emotional decisions.
Hello !
Well let me say this ! I would probably have taken them at face value and lost my money ! Thank you so much for sharing this with us and giving us the heads up ... there really are a lot of people myself included would see the advert see the pictures and fall in love ! On Instagram I have seen some of the most beautiful little naked babies ! And been put of because they deliver world wide .. they do ask for hefty deposits . But it puts me off because of the distance ..
it is only because of people like your self that people like me don’t get ripped off !!
But again all to sad plenty of people do lose their hard earned saved up cash !!
Keep on searching these frauds out
Thank you xxx

Stevieraek

Lairian
Having sort of the same issue here. The Cattery seems to be legit but wants a Walmart money transfer (deposit or full amount) before I can even come see the kittens . Plus their amount is only 800 which seems sketchy to me because my
Red male was 1600. Now a hairless for 800 would be great , but I’ve never heard of them being so cheap . Looking for a reputable Cattery , but also not looking to spend 1600 again :/

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Stevieraek Big red flag to me!
I have 4 adoptees and would run when I saw these ads for money upfront not seeing kitties etc. some will copy paste steal pics too!
even though my heart was torn I knew to go with my gut
Usually if I ask for a pic of the kitty with today’s dste newspaper or an odd time llike a soda or water bottle they would’ve never reply back
I asked for vets number to verify smd they would not call bsck either

They prey on our sphynx love

The right one will find you !

Stay positve I got two from a member
A retiree from a reputable breeder
Amd ome got lucky wasn’t scammed off a hoobly Ad
- she later ran th exact sob story Ad for another kitty

The most I pad was $600 for papered fettered HCM scanned spayed all records and shots thst was imortted for waaayyy more than . My adoption

Feel free to PM me any ads for an extra peek

Last edited:

Furrlessfurrvr

Lairian
I LOVE this suggestion. If at all possible I’d say it’s safer to do a transaction in person. Not only do you get to meet your kitten/cat. But you also don’t have to put them through the stress of travel. I had to drive an hour out to get Mishka. And she wasn’t too happy about the ride back!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Furrlessfurrvr I have asked if they would like to meet for transfer at the police department and got hung up on the first few sphynx I considered before my current adoptee crew

(@Furrlessfurrvr For car ride anxiety on trips to the vet I crate amd put a towel covering 3 sides to make a comfy cave amd then use it to put on the exam table .
and another towel to partially cover crate on the ride home-
I put the towel that was on the exam table In plastic bag and then a hot wash with a squirt of Chlorhexidine solution
Some members wipe off the exam table with wipes they being with

Just wanted to share )

Last edited:

Furrlessfurrvr

Lairian
It’s crazy what people will do. I even read a couple of articles about these people who were scammed by someone who shaved/buzz cut a kitten and sold it for a Sphynx. I’ve even read people go as far as using Nair! It certainly concerned me after reading that about getting Mishka. But I checked her out. Her body is fine. And she def. has all of the chacteristics of the breed. Aside from that when I met the lady who was regiment her she seemed honest and nice.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Stevieraek the right one will find you
Glad you went with your gut and looked for red flags

You can refresh up date looking for thread so member can chime in

LunaRosa

Lairian
Honestly, I'd say just trust you gut. The person I bought from took visa, which was comforting as I had called Visa and they had said if the breeder was unable to provide proof that she was ever sent, then I could dispute the transactions and get refunded via a claim through the credit card. I think I did pay more than what others had advertised but for sure a big red flag would be an overly cheap price. Beyond that, and most importantly, the breeder always answered my calls and emails and never hesitated to answer any questions. You could tell she had a passion for the breed and genuinely wanted pass along the knowledge she had to set your adoption up for success. She spent at least a couple hours on the phone with me during the almost 4 month wait for baby to be born and shipped to me. She also had a website, facebook, YouTube, all with active people who were buying and had bought (interactions, comments, questions, etc) so I felt comfortable the whole time. I'm sure there are a ton of red flags, none that I encountered.. so, speaking from my own experience, all I can say is do your research (and a little social media stalking lol) and trust your gut :)

Last edited: