Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How to feed

RahMoon

Lairian
We have 2 wonderful sphynx, who love to eat and it seems that they never get enough to eat. We currently feed 3 meals at 1.9 oz per meal of raw meat, our total per day is about at 5.7 oz. Is this enough? Or do we need to increase our servings or increase the amount of feedings per day.

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What works for me might not work for you, depends on your kitty. I leave two different types of dry food out all the time. I feed her wet twice a day. My kitty eats when she is hungry but she is not overweight at all. If she was overweight I might restrict portion sizes.

RahMoon

Lairian
From time to time we increase the food amount of food per serving. The older cat Rah seems he just wants to eat al the time where the younger cat moon does not act that way. It is always a discussion about how much we feed and should we increase the amount of food we feed.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Some cats are more ravenous than others. I just had a whole weight loss journey with my 2 adoptees. I agree that what works for some might not work for others. As long as you’re feeding the appropriate amount and they aren’t gaining or losing weight (unless necessary) that you are feeding them the right amount of food.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
How old are they? And are they skinny, slim or chuncky? It depends on their size, how active they are and body shape. I know myself are always hungry and can keep eating but they are too chunky so I have to stop giving them more

Yana and Osiris

Lairian
It's winter, might be why they need more food atm if it's cold in your house. If your kittens are not obese , give them more feed per meal. I feed ours 2 times a day, 20-30gr/meal, and 30-40gr in winter, plus dental snacks and vitamin paste once a day. If they have always been this way it's simply their quirk, I clean Osi's bowl after each food intake, he has to stick to the schedule otherwise he won't leave his bowl, he eats until he is dead and gains weight easily :(

PurranhasDen

Lairian
We have 2 wonderful sphynx, who love to eat and it seems that they never get enough to eat. We currently feed 3 meals at 1.9 oz per meal of raw meat, our total per day is about at 5.7 oz. Is this enough? Or do we need to increase our servings or increase the amount of feedings per day.
This was my question too. Spike is 16 weeks. He gets a packet of Nulo mousse (looks and smells like puréed vomit but he likes it) and a can of the Instinct kitten per day. I mix it up and divide into 2 serving. He gets it morning and evening. He had kibble available but isn’t real interested in it. He inhales his food then comes after whatever I might be eating. This morning I gave him both servings. He scarfed it down then went to his bed and napped. Me thinks I may not be feeding him enough. He is a growing boy after all. Any thoughts from the hive mind?
IMG_1924.jpeg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I give a half can morning and at night and as much dry as she wants throughout the day. I am retired, so several times a day I put her in the bathroom with the dry food because we have 2 other cats who would scarf it down. She meows when she has had enough. When she turns 1 year old I will discuss with the vet what her ideal weight should be and pull back on the dry if she needs to lose weight. Their first year they require so much more food because they are growing.

PurranhasDen

Lairian
I give a half can morning and at night and as much dry as she wants throughout the day. I am retired, so several times a day I put her in the bathroom with the dry food because we have 2 other cats who would scarf it down. She meows when she has had enough. When she turns 1 year old I will discuss with the vet what her ideal weight should be and pull back on the dry if she needs to lose weight. Their first year they require so much more food because they are growing.
I heard form the breeder this morning. She said that at this age, let him as much as he wants. Feed a little more with each serving since it’s only 2x a day as I work 12 hr shifts.

Back