Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How to introduce bath time?

lkasper

Lairian
Hi everyone! I recently adopted Cali into my family. She is a five year old sphynx whose previous family was no longer able to care for her. I have lived with and cared for sphynx cats before, but always from a young age. Cali has never had a bath, and her claws were never trimmed before she came to live with me. She has been such a good girl adjusting to clipped nails, but I am struggling to keep her clean. Are there any suggestions on how to introduce her to a bath? Cali will not even tolerate a baby wipe or wet washcloth anywhere on her body. I am unsure of how to try a bath without completely traumatizing her. Any ideas are appreciated!

b71f67a621cc8f3a8e48c4c8f7646a85.jpg

- Laurel

Attachments

• Snapchat-394645628~2.jpg
    Snapchat-394645628~2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 17

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have been putting Astrid in the tub everytime I am in the bathroom getting ready so that she gets used to the tub and I think it has helped. At first, she would immediately jump out but now she stays in and walks around. Her last bath was a breeze and she isn't as traumatised by the tub. No more clawing to get out!
If I do take a wipe to her she has to be half asleep or the claws come out. I can fake like I am just petting her if she is almost/completely asleep.
I hope you can figure something out :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair! Cali is gorgeous. Is she very dirty? Cause if she's never bathed before and she's already 5 maybe she doesn't need to be bathed. We have some members who never had to bath their sphynx.

If she is dirty and needs to get bathed I would wait untill she's long enough with you to feel comfy and relaxed with you (at least 2-4 weeks). Be prepared when you bath her, make sure everything is by hand. And be quick.

MrFluffyBoy

Lairian
She is so pretty! Look at those eyes!!

Put some toys and treats in the empty tub. Let her get used to it and associate it with good things. One day put a little bit of water and let her get used to the feeling of it. Bring her in the bathroom with you when you shower or are relaxing in the bath. When you do wash her, keep her favourite treats close to distract her. And of course lots of treats afterward! :)

Back