Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How to keep my cat away form my legs?

dude101

Lairian
Hi,

I got a sphynx kitten (7 weeks old) a couple of days ago, and today he started jumping on people's legs to try and climb up. needless to say, not the nicest feeling in the world.
I've tried putting him down while raising my voice a bit. doesn't seem affective since he jumps right back, maybe thinking it's a game.
Diverting his attention works fine, but doesn't keep him from doing it again.

Any tips as to how make him stay away from my leg?
Or, while I'm at it, from other objects such as tables?

Thanks.

susi794

Staff member
Wear thick jeans because you won't most likely stop him from climbing your leg--it's what they do until they can jump up onto your shoulder or lap. Mine still try sharpening their claws on my leg every now and then.
Age hasn't done a thing to keep my cats off ANYTHING. They respond to a water spray bottle for the immediate get down from there cue--but it does nothing to stop them from doing it again in 10 seconds later.
If there is someplace you would like to train him not to go, use double sided tape--they don't like the feel of that. I think you can also buy some contraptions that make noise or blow air for places like countertops and tables.
Buy him a tall cat tree and put it by a window, when he starts climbing, say no firmly and put him on the cat tree. If he climbs it, tell him he is such a good boy!

As for your leg--nothing I can tell you to stop that unless you want to make him never want to snuggle you. He will get better as climbing becomes less effiicient than jumping....so hang in there.

holly_savage

Banned
I agree with Susi on the tape...it is all that really works. We've just decided to move the things we don't want her around out of her way and then she can have free run...lol much easier in the long run.

One question though...you just got a kitten and he's only 7 weeks old???? That is really young...was it hand reared?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dude101 and welcome,
First off, congrats on your new Sphynx kitten!
Your new Sphynx kitty will need his nails trimmed regularly to prevent them from getting too long and hurting people or furniture to an extent, remember never declaw your cat.

I would suggest a scratching post, and encourage your Sphynx to use that rather than your legs or furniture as Susi said.

However, the action of telling a Sphynx kitten or cat not to jump up at you could give it mixed signals. The Sphynx kitten wants to be close to your face like on your shoulder (which Sphynx cats love by the way), so it can give and receive affection. You are its substitute Sphynx mommy while he or she is young. So if you show your Sphynx body language or facial expressions that "you can have affection only on my terms," you are breaking the two-way communication that a Sphynx kitten or cat needs, and which will be repaid back to you as he/she gets older with unconditional love and effection.

Our Sphynx Leonidas will jump up from the floor to an adult's shoulder as will most adult Sphynx cats, avoiding the legs. Here is my training recommendation for you, I hope it works. Get on your knees, Hold your hands out in a catching posture to a level your kitten has no problem jumping to, and make encouraging noises, so the kitten jumps into your hands (reward with a treat) and then take him/her directly up to to the shoulders, where he gets praised and "good boy" (reward with a treat)! They love being up high and able to see everything you see as a tall human! This kneeling takes your legs out of the loop while training your Sphynx kitten to get to your shoulders, which he or she will have no problem doing once an adult Sphynx, so just be patient! Use a firm noise when he or she jumps on legs or anything you dont want them doing, and use this noise everytime consistently.

Good luck!
Admin

Haji the Sphynx

Lairian
My Haji does not like o rid on my shoulders (he's 13 lbs, so thats ok with me) but we was notorius for digging his claws into the back of my thigh. He mostly did it when I was standing at the kitchen sink or the bathroom vanity. He would come in and want to be up with me, so I just taught him to jump on the counter and sit up there. I know some people don't want their cats on the counter, but I'm totally fine with it.

I got to know "the look" when he was gonna jump. He'd look so cute, mowing and looking at me and if I didn't pay attention to him he'd jump on me. I'd pay attention to those signals.

susi794

Staff member
OMG!! I totally skimmed over the 7 wks. old part. That is extremely young to have taken a sphynx from its mother. Most people don't get their kittens until they are 12-14 weeks old. That could explain why the baby wants to crawl up your leg so much--didn't have a chance to learn too much socialization from his mommy. And most likely craves attention/is lonely from missing littermates. Do you have any other companion animals? Also, you might want to supplement this baby's food with a good vitamin to boost his immune system, because he missed some added immune boost from several more weeks of on and off nursing. Good luck with your new little snuggle bunny--he'll totally steal your heart before you know it.

dude101

Lairian
Thanks again, everyone.

holly, he's not hand reared. I didn't know any better, and apparently neither did the former owner. but he's active, eats solids and the vet gave him an "all clear", so I'm not that worried about it (or should I be...?)

admin, will try the knees-catching-shoulder technique, tho the major "victim" is my grandma, who can't use it.
at what age should I start clipping his nails?

susi794

Staff member
You can clip his nails right away. Are you familiar with the grooming that he'll require? Check the site's archive for bathing, ear cleaning, nail care, etc. There is a wealth of good information and videos here that show you exactly what to do.

dude101

Lairian
OMG!! I totally skimmed over the 7 wks. old part. That is extremely young to have taken a sphynx from its mother. Most people don't get their kittens until they are 12-14 weeks old. That could explain why the baby wants to crawl up your leg so much--didn't have a chance to learn too much socialization from his mommy. And most likely craves attention/is lonely from missing littermates. Do you have any other companion animals? Also, you might want to supplement this baby's food with a good vitamin to boost his immune system, because he missed some added immune boost from several more weeks of on and off nursing. Good luck with your new little snuggle bunny--he'll totally steal your heart before you know it.

Don't get me wrong, he's not doing it allot. It's just that it bothers my grandma (who wears a skirt).
anyway, no other animals in the house.
anything else I should do other then the vitamins?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, clipping should begin right away please see Sphynx Lair Care Tips video of nail clipping and also New Sphynx Cat Owner Help Center Please read these before clipping! As far as the training, that will benefit grandma once the cat stops climbing legs and jumps straight to the shoulder. Although im not sure grandma will like this either! LoL

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair and congrats on your new kitty! You have received great advice here and I have nothing to add. Just wanted to wish you well and please know if you have any questions feel free to ask any of us!

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't have any advice to share other than trim their claws often and keep first aid cream on hand ...that's what I do:ThumbsUp: Just wanted to say welcome to the site & congrats on your new little one!!

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome to you and your new kitten. My only advice is we have an electric blanket that we keep on low - it is Abby's favorite spot in the world. We were afraid a heating pad would be too hot, so the blanket works well. We are in Texas and it is hot pretty much all the time, but she still wants her blanket. Or a warm load of clothes from the dryer. Or to climb under your shirt and snuggle on your belly.

Back