Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello! Here is a tutorial on how I made Astrid's dress, which is a shirt and a skirt.
unnamed (13).jpg

Material:
  • Fabric - I used about half a meter, but I had bought a meter to play with.
  • Thread
  • Elastic - I just picked a thin on I had on hand, 1/2 inch
Measurements:
  • Shirt - Neck circumference, gut circumference (biggest part of belly in front of back legs), neck-to-gut. Neck-to-front-of-leg, neck-to-back-of-leg, over the back: leg to leg (just to where the body stops)
  • Skirt - cir. behind front legs, back of arms to front of tail, back of arms to front of back legs, length between legs
*If using fabric that does not stretch, you will have to add a bit onto your measurement. I added about 1/2 inch, could be a bit more*
*Add 1/4 inch to each seam before cutting for the seam allowance.*

The instructions will be the first two comments so I can put in more pictures :)

Last edited:

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Shirt:
unnamed (12).jpg

• Fold fabric to 1/2 the gut width, pretty sides facing each other
  • Mark neck measure, measure down the neck to gut measurement and mark the gut measurement
  • Connect with a curved line and cut
unnamed (9).jpg

• Sew 1/4 hem along bottom and top
  • Sew piece together
  • Armholes:
    • Fold piece in half at neck ( the fold should be 1/2 the length of over the back measurement)
    • Mark from neck mark and back of leg
IMG_24871.jpg

• Connect with a semi-circle with the radius of half the leg width (circle is in blue)
unnamed (7).jpg

• Cut while it is still folded
  • Optional: Sew around the leg holes with a blanket/zig zag stitch to stop unravelling
unnamed (6).jpg

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Skirt:
  • Piece 1: width - length to front of back legs, length - 2 times neck to tail plus a bit
    • Sew hem
    • Make "pocket" for elastic, 1 1/2 the width of it
unnamed (4).jpg

• Piece 2: width- length to in front of tail, length - 2 times neck to tail plus a bit
    • Sew hem
    • Sew to piece 1 on the seam for the elastic "pocket"
  • Add in elastic and sew together
  • Sew skirt together
  • Leg Room
    • Put skirt on cat and fold the underpart to the front of the back legs
    • Sew it up by the width of between the legs
    • Add "triangles" to add volume by sewing down the edges
unnamed.jpg

IMG_25031.jpg IMG_25021.jpg

And there we have it!
If you have any questions let me know :) if I didn't explain something clearly enough please let me know and I'll try and explain it better :) Can't wait to see other creations!
IMG_25011.jpg

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Xandria sgaring is part of the fun! Lol but I'm not in the business of selling 60$ cat shirts so I might be a bit biased

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Maddie -- I wish you lived in Vancouver. You could teach me to sew and we could have sewing nights! I have a sewing machine and a friend did try and teach me to sew once but I need a project and lots of repetition. Like you, I'd love to share anything that's useful to others, but sadly all I can offer is my brain. LOL LOL

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Xandria Lol well I'm only on the island so it wouldn't be impossible
It really is fun once you get into it, lol I'm still learning myself. I can proficiently sew straight and curved lines XD nothing too crazy yet. My Nanna is a huge sewer so I've been learning from her

Last edited:

sphynxmoms

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Xandria Lol well I'm only on the island so it wouldn't be impossible
It really is fun once you get into it, lol I'm still learning myself. I can proficiently sew straight and curved lines XD nothing too crazy yet. My Nanna is a huge sewer so I've been learning from her

Enjoy every moment learning from your nana... I learned crocheting from mine but she's gone now and I cherish those memories! Thank you do much for sharing your wonderful talent with us

AngelRN

Lairian
I was looking at dresses for sphynx/cats and I saw those things selling for as much as $80 and were not near as nice as the ones you made. You could start a business with those, I would buy one...... But maybe I will just get myself a sewing machine it would be so much fun to pick out cute fabrics and ribbons for my sweet girl.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Maddie -- that's right! I forgot you were on the Island. Well if you ever want a weekend Vancouver getaway, I'm happy to host you (although I don't have a guest room, but have a very comfy pull out bed in the living room -- and two naked cats ;-) ). Yes, I'm serious, as I love meeting fellow Sphynxie people. No pressure, just tossing that out there.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@sphynxmoms most definitely!

@AngelRN they are really fun to make. Check around at garage sales/estate if you do want one. That's how I got mine. It maybe had 10 hours on it and my Nanna got it for cheap (it was a birthday present a couple years ago so no idea what she paid, I just know it was ridiculously cheap).

@Xandria no clue of I'll end up over there lol but thanks :)

Thanks you guys :)

Back