Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How to stop cats sleeping in my bed...

LeeWoolrich

Lairian
Hello there, looking for some advice please. I purchased my 2 kitties with my ex-girlfriend (Sienna and Millie). They are 3 years old. During this time we allowed them to tuck up with us at night. So far, so good.

The problem is, now my ex and I have split up and I have a new girlfriend. She doesn't like the cats sleeping in the bed and especially doesn't like it when they walk on her head (no, really)... I have one placid girl and one neurotic girl. If i lock them out of the room, she will cry endlessly to be let back in. Last night I tried to remove them every time they jumped on and put them in a kitty bed next to my bed, you would be amazed on how persistent Sienna is to get back into my bed. I must have removed her 15 times until I gave in. How can I stop them sleeping with me at night?

Please help.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sorry I'm no help at all my girlfriend was told on day one that my babies come first lol I'd chase them out of my bed for no one as this was their home before anyone new came along. I would find it unfair to break their comfort in what was their home first but that's me I'm sure someone will offer you some useful tips

LeeWoolrich

Lairian
Haha.. Thanks, appreciate the message all the same.

I appreciate the sentiment. but when it genuinely affects her sleep, it's not fair on her. It's a tricky one.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ha!! My average sleep a night according to Fitbit is 1 hour and 57 min lol so I can relate but I just peace with no sleep

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello there, looking for some advice please. I purchased my 2 kitties with my ex-girlfriend (Sienna and Millie). They are 3 years old. During this time we allowed them to tuck up with us at night. So far, so good.

The problem is, now my ex and I have split up and I have a new girlfriend. She doesn't like the cats sleeping in the bed and especially doesn't like it when they walk on her head (no, really)... I have one placid girl and one neurotic girl. If i lock them out of the room, she will cry endlessly to be let back in. Last night I tried to remove them every time they jumped on and put them in a kitty bed next to my bed, you would be amazed on how persistent Sienna is to get back into my bed. I must have removed her 15 times until I gave in. How can I stop them sleeping with me at night?

Please help.

@LeeWoolrich um, I don't know what to tell you! You've had these two way before your new girlfriends came into your life. Sienna and Millie always slept in bed with you. Is it fair to your cats to allow something for years and then change your mind one day because your new girlfriend complains? I cannot see how in the world you are going to un-teach your kitties after all this time.

Have you considered letting your ex have Sienna and Millie or have you considered letting this current girlfriend go or perhaps letting her sleep on the couch?

I don't mean to come across in a bad way, it just baffles me how you can untrain them at this point. In my world, my sphynx come before a lot of other things. They are my babies.

If you do find a solution, please let us know. Best of luck to you.

admin

Administrator
Staff member

Please help.
Put them out of the room every night, eventually they will find a new place to sleep for the night, ours did the same thing when we locked them out, a week or so and they will be fine. :)

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You could try adding a favorite blanket or bed of theirs at the end of your bed. They will still sleep with you, but perhaps may sleep more in the spot you designated for them. If they are used to sleeping in the bed though, it might take a while to change there habits.

LeeWoolrich

Lairian
@LeeWoolrich um, I don't know what to tell you! You've had these two way before your new girlfriends came into your life. Sienna and Millie always slept in bed with you. Is it fair to your cats to allow something for years and then change your mind one day because your new girlfriend complains? I cannot see how in the world you are going to un-teach your kitties after all this time.

Have you considered letting your ex have Sienna and Millie or have you considered letting this current girlfriend go or perhaps letting her sleep on the couch?

I don't mean to come across in a bad way, it just baffles me how you can untrain them at this point. In my world, my sphynx come before a lot of other things. They are my babies.

If you do find a solution, please let us know. Best of luck to you.

I'm sorry, I think you may have misread my post slightly. What I was actually after, was some advice on a situation I was hoping someone in this community had shared. What was I was not after however, was your opinion/intrusion on my life situation.

You know nothing of the situation, the individuals or the circumstance behind this question and there’s a very good reason for that, I’ll let you work it out.

I’m delighted that your kitties hold such a high position in your life, that’s just wonderful for them. My girls are also extremely well cared for and very much loved.

As for letting my girlfriend go, or letting her sleep on the couch…… really?!

Many thanks

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@LeeWoolrich that was why I said, and quote, "I don't mean to come across in a bad way, it just baffles me how you can untrain them at this point." In no way did I mean to come across that way and apologized in advance that I don't mean to come across that way. Words being read can lose or gain meaning compared to spoken words.

I've tried myself to keep cats out of my room (not older cats either) and my door was getting knocked down. So it simply baffled me.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@LeeWoolrich Before this escalates to a level further than it has gottwn, members have to understand you are looking for help and that is why you asked. Moving the blanket to the another room is a great idea. Also have you tried a heated bed in another room? These guys are heat seekers and that might help solve the problem. Is there anything in another room to start enticing your babies to spend more time in there during the day as well so it is a room they will like at all times of the day...perhaps a bird feeder outside a window or a sunny seat ? Trying to make another room a more interesting place might help...also keep your bedroom door closed all of the time might help lessen the anxiety of the door being closed at night.

Patti

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LeeWoolrich , thanks for reaching out for some suggestions -
My man is not crazy about our bed hogs
doing warp 8 across his head and body , then want to be spanked - he has to get up early and has very long days.. Sleep is important.

I actually trained them to "their bed" - their own blankie and a couple of treats -
I just have to lift "their blankie " and they come running and settle down like clock work-
Took a few weeks- trained them like a dog to "their bed"

An alternative - I know members use heated blankets in cat beds in the same room or in another part of the house
- with a little training and treats , they are so smart , they will get " their spot " when it's bed time -
We do have members that keep the cats out of the bedroom and even set up their own room in order to get sleep.

I think K&H brand has some lovely heated beds - and I know the sunbeam blanket with timer @Xandria has recommended in the past works nice :)

Head smooches sent to Sienna and Mille - keep us updated hope you can share a pic of your girls :)
Thanks for reaching out for suggestions -

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member

Please help.

Welcome to sphynxlair! I was in a situation like you. My two boys did sleep with me from the moment they lived with me. When I added my girl she slept in my bed too.
The last month my allergies were getting really bad. So I needed to get my cats out of my bed. I tried shutting my bedroom door. They cried and cried for hours and kept on scratching the door. Then I decided to put them in the living room (with the litterbox of course). They still cried and scratched the door for hours. But because there were more doors between me and the cats I could ignore it better. They kept crying for 2 weeks but now they accept the new situation and sleep in the livingroom quitly.

I think you have to make a plan (were do you want them to sleep) and hold on to it. Be prepaired for a few weeks with less sleep. But finally you will be rewarded with cats who are okay with the bew situation and a happy girlfriend.

It did and still breaks my heart but this was the best solution for me and my cats. But I miss them in my bed so much.

LeeWoolrich

Lairian
@LeeWoolrich that was why I said, and quote, "I don't mean to come across in a bad way, it just baffles me how you can untrain them at this point." In no way did I mean to come across that way and apologized in advance that I don't mean to come across that way. Words being read can lose or gain meaning compared to spoken words.

I've tried myself to keep cats out of my room (not older cats either) and my door was getting knocked down. So it simply baffled me.

So it's ok to say anything you want and then just suffix that with "I don't mean to come across in a bad way"...? You never even attempted to answer the question. Have a look at the other responses in this thread and take note. If you don't have anything to offer, then simply don't respond. It's a choice, not an obligation.

Have a wonderful day

LeeWoolrich

Lairian
Welcome to sphynxlair! I was in a situation like you. My two boys did sleep with me from the moment they lived with me. When I added my girl she slept in my bed too.
The last month my allergies were getting really bad. So I needed to get my cats out of my bed. I tried shutting my bedroom door. They cried and cried for hours and kept on scratching the door. Then I decided to put them in the living room (with the litterbox of course). They still cried and scratched the door for hours. But because there were more doors between me and the cats I could ignore it better. They kept crying for 2 weeks but now they accept the new situation and sleep in the livingroom quitly.

I think you have to make a plan (were do you want them to sleep) and hold on to it. Be prepaired for a few weeks with less sleep. But finally you will be rewarded with cats who are okay with the bew situation and a happy girlfriend.

It did and still breaks my heart but this was the best solution for me and my cats. But I miss them in my bed so much.

This is great advice, thank you! Appreciate you taking the time to comment

LeeWoolrich

Lairian
@LeeWoolrich , thanks for reaching out for some suggestions -
My man is not crazy about our bed hogs
doing warp 8 across his head and body , then want to be spanked - he has to get up early and has very long days.. Sleep is important.

I actually trained them to "their bed" - their own blankie and a couple of treats -
I just have to lift "their blankie " and they come running and settle down like clock work-
Took a few weeks- trained them like a dog to "their bed"

An alternative - I know members use heated blankets in cat beds in the same room or in another part of the house
- with a little training and treats , they are so smart , they will get " their spot " when it's bed time -
We do have members that keep the cats out of the bedroom and even set up their own room in order to get sleep.

I think K&H brand has some lovely heats beds - and I know the sunbeam blanket with timer @Xandria has recommended in the past works nice :)

Head smooches sent to Sienna and Mille - keep us updated hope you can share a pic of your girls :)
Thanks for reaching out for suggestions -

Another great response! Thanks very much.

LeeWoolrich

Lairian
@LeeWoolrich Before this escalates to a level further than it has gottwn, members have to understand you are looking for help and that is why you asked. Moving the blanket to the another room is a great idea. Also have you tried a heated bed in another room? These guys are heat seekers and that might help solve the problem. Is there anything in another room to start enticing your babies to spend more time in there during the day as well so it is a room they will like at all times of the day...perhaps a bird feeder outside a window or a sunny seat ? Trying to make another room a more interesting place might help...also keep your bedroom door closed all of the time might help lessen the anxiety of the door being closed at night.

Patti

Thanks for the advice!

LeeWoolrich

Lairian
UPDATE: So last night I locked my girls downstairs for the first time ever. I won't lie, it was tough. I made them a little tent on the sofa with blankets and then went to bed myself. I lay awake for long periods in the night feeling guilty. I think I struggled more than them.

Millie is good as gold, she went straight to bed. Sienna seemed to spend about 10-15 minutes crying but then gave up and went to sleep. I went down in the night and they were fine. I think she (Sienna) was in a mood with me this morning though.

Hopefully I can relax more tonight when I try again.

Thanks again everybody for the advice.

LeeWoolrich

Lairian
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed.jpg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
UPDATE: So last night I locked my girls downstairs for the first time ever. I won't lie, it was tough. I made them a little tent on the sofa with blankets and then went to bed myself. I lay awake for long periods in the night feeling guilty. I think I struggled more than them.

Millie is good as gold, she went straight to bed. Sienna seemed to spend about 10-15 minutes crying but then gave up and went to sleep. I went down in the night and they were fine. I think she (Sienna) was in a mood with me this morning though.

Hopefully I can relax more tonight when I try again.

Thanks again everybody for the advice.

That's great for the first night! And I know the guilty feeling so well. Hopefully you'll sleep better tonight.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LeeWoolrich , thank you for the update and sharing pics of your gorgeous Millie and Sienna . Which one is which in the pics? Are they litter mates? They are so pretty! Love their eyes

Continued positive vibes for good night sleeps :)

The only other thing many of us do right before bed is play play play to wear them out a little more -
A good pole toy like The Dabird pole toy 36" one piece rod, go-cat cat catcher , Nekko flies , cat dancer ( I put cat dancer on a door knob )
any of their favorite go go go toy will work. I put them away when not in use or they will chew and try to set them-
They know it's bed time routine when their special toy comes out

Looking forward to more good news updates
Hsve a purrfect day !

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg