Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hubby gave his 2 week notice!!

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ok I really need to vent!

My hubby just gave his notice yesterday. He has never done this before!!!!Except when we moved down here.... When we first moved down here his manager promised him a raise after his 90 day review.... Never got it. Oh ya he is a auto mechanic(has been for 15 yrs) He first started at a pretty busy store but when the economy crapped the bed this shop had too many people and another shop didnt even have a tech. So he transferred to that store. My husband busts his A** and I am not just saying that:Wink: He works alot harder then all the techs in both stores he has worked. He brings in more money then them because he doesnt have to be asked to do jobs! He stays late, goes in early, and goes in on days off(he is there today!) He never calls out sick or is ever late(many have days of not showing up)All these people that dont show up or dont want to work manage to keep their jobs while my husband busts his ass and for nothing!! So yesterday he had enough! And I completely understand but it is bulls***! His manager(who sucks!) put in for a raise for him back in Oct! He has not gotten it!! He also went to a meeting and was supposed to get paid mileage, this too was put in back in Oct and he still has not gotten it!!

So today while he is there on his day off I decided I was going to try and talk to a higher up! District manager! I called his old DM who is supposed to have his new DM call me. So I told the hubby what I did and he was mad at me!!:Angry: He wont speak up for himself and just gives his notice!!! SO I decided to speak up for him!! So he says I may have made this worse!! But you know what If it does make it worse then I am glad he gave his notice!!! He is a very big asset to that company and there is no reason why they should let him go!!!!!!

So what do you all think? Was I wrong? Do you think I made this worse? I just dont want him to quit! He has been with them for 4 yrs, we just got health insurance...... ohhhh I am so angry!!! But on the other hand tired of him being **** on at this company!!!

If you are still here :Wink: Thanks for lasting this long!!!!!:ThumbsUp:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Tanya, sorry to hear that your husband is not being treated fairly at his work. Sounds like the company is just taking him for granted and not paying him fairly for the hard work he's given them. Also, it's one thing to promise a raise and not give it (pretty crappy business practice, though) but I think it's aganist the law for the company to not pay him for his mileage. I'm not recommending a lawsuit if he wants to continue working there, but your hubby may need to talk to an attorney who specializes in workplace issues to see what his rights are.

However...this is just my two cents worth...I can understand your frustration, but I don't think it was a good idea for you to talk to his superiors. I don't know if it really made things worse (since things were pretty bad there to begin with) but it just makes it appear to his superiors that your husband is passive and/or unable to speak for himself. In the workplace, those are not qualities one wants to have attributed to them as an employee.

Does this company have an human resources department? Maybe your husband should talk to them about his grievances to see if maybe they can expedite his impending raise and mileage reimbursements.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You weren't wrong. I really hate the way workers are treated nowadays. I read an article in the paper the other day that mentioned a company where all the employees are really happy. They asked the CEO and he said "I just fire the people that aren't happy." That pisses me off to no end. I've long wanted to re-organize the work force. Maybe start more unions or something.

But it sounds like your husband won't have any trouble finding another job. So it may be a blessing in disguise. I feel like my work experience the first 10 years of my working life is completely worthless. I didn't learn many skills that would help me in another career.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks guys I really appreciate it!!!!

And it is a toss up!! Maybe I was wrong, maybe I wasnt. I just really felt like he busts his a** and is not appreciated even though he is the best asset to them!! I mean if I had an employee who was busting their a** I would not let them leave the company and I would make sure that this person is the first to be taken care of. I also look at it as(I used to be a manager) I personally feel that if it takes someone else outside of the employees to call in about whats going on wrong in the store then there really is something wrong with the company that should be addressed immediately! But yes on the other hand I do understand that my husband thinks that I may have made it worse because of how crappy the company is to begin with that they dont want someone making trouble for the company. But if they lets say fire him OH ITS ON!!!! I will write to big CEO if I have too!!! Any employee who busts there a** and is loyal to the company should not be discarded or treated like crap or not get what they deserve. I have seen this company do some crappy things to the good people in this company! And 1 actually got a lawyer and has now moved to another store and gotten more pay and his title back(he never should have lost his title to begin with!)

So yes maybe this is a blessing!! Maybe he should find a better job!! It does scare me to death though with all the people out of work and not finding jobs!! We cannot afford him being out of work!!!! :Angry:

Thanks so much again for your responses!!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I can certainly understand your frustration and If I were if your place I'd be upset too. However, I think you over stepped your boundaries by calling his work and being the nagging wife and in turn making him look even worse. I would feel horrible if my spouse called in and said anything to anyone about my financial status regardless of my worth ethics. I've worked my tail off at companys before only to be let go due to lay off or disgruntled employees but I truely believe they are all stepping stones to something bigger and better. I'm sure things will work out just fine regardless of where this ends.
Addtionally, I do have to commend you on being honest with him and telling him what you did. I don't think I would have been able to do that in fear of him no longer speaking to me and creating tention in the home. I hate that more than anything!! But goodluck with it all. I would also seek the advice of a lawyer, if they end of letting him leave due to him quitting they will fight for unemployment which I'm sure you'll want to collect on and you may need help of a lawyer, maybe not, I've taken two employers to court that I was fired from but I had good reason and ended up getting what I deserved from unemployment. Again goodluck - I'm rambeling. LOL

susi794

Staff member
I would give you my advice--but I'm divorced, so what do I know? Guess I'll put in my two cents anyway--I wouldn't have called--makes your husband look like he needs you to fight his battles for him or that he has no control over his home situation. Neither of which would impress me as his employer. You say he gave them his two week notice...but then you talk about them maybe firing him over it...I don't get it. If he quit, why would they fire him? Or are you saying he gave them an ultimatum--"a raise or I'll quit" kind of thing? On a personal note between the two of you--my ex would have been furious with me if I had done something like that, but then again, deep down might be a little proud that I thought enough of him to do it.
So, my opinion and a dollar something will buy you a coffee at Mickey D's. LOL Besides, it's a done deal--ya can't unring the bell. He sounds like he wouldn't have that tough of a time getting hired someplace that would appreciate his work ethic though. Good luck with it all.
Hugs,
Susi

Wuahful

Lairian
I too have always been the mouthy type when I feel I've been cheated, and from what I understand about marriage, seeing your husband being cheated is the same type of thing. So I probably would've done the same thing. I'm sure you didn't mess anything up, and it'll turn out fine. Way to be assertive! No one deserves to be screwed over like that.:ThumbsUp:

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks you guys! He gave his notice.No ultimatum. ANd yes he doesnt know how to speak up for himself and that is why I stepped in. That is the one thing I dont like is when you cant stand up for yourself! He said thank you for trying to help but.....:Dizzy: And yes its done we had our little argument and now we are good. He will be much happier if he leaves the crap hole!! I was just upset that he makes them so much money and he was never appreciated like he shouldhave been!!!!!! So I do hope that he will not have trouble finding a new job!! On a side note he has been working on changing his discharge code so he can re-enlist in either the reserves or the guard and he has that hearing either this month or next. SO that would be good if he could get back in!!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!!!!:ThumbsUp::Kiss::Adore:

tessblack

Banned
Sorry to hear how things worked out. I know my husband would be pissed if I did that but I am sure he would do it if I was being taken advantage of. We both work together so we are both in the drama at times. I am a mechanic as well but work on a race team and he is a truck driver/everything guy for the team.

yeah I think you probably made him feel like he could not stand up for himself. Just try and be supportive and hopefully it will all turn out well.

Best of luck and hope he finds something more rewarding for him.

t

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks you guys! He gave his notice.No ultimatum. ANd yes he doesnt know how to speak up for himself and that is why I stepped in. That is the one thing I dont like is when you cant stand up for yourself! He said thank you for trying to help but.....:Dizzy: And yes its done we had our little argument and now we are good. He will be much happier if he leaves the crap hole!! I was just upset that he makes them so much money and he was never appreciated like he shouldhave been!!!!!! So I do hope that he will not have trouble finding a new job!! On a side note he has been working on changing his discharge code so he can re-enlist in either the reserves or the guard and he has that hearing either this month or next. SO that would be good if he could get back in!!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!!!!:ThumbsUp::Kiss::Adore:

I've been told I don't really speak up for myself either. You got a non married sister? Maybe she can do all my unpleasant speaking for me.:LOL:

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sorry to hear about your husbands job. I am also very outspoken and probably would have done something very similar. I hope that this means he is on to new and better things. Good Luck with the job search...I hope it does not take too long!!

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've been told I don't really speak up for myself either. You got a non married sister? Maybe she can do all my unpleasant speaking for me.:LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL: I am an only child:LOL::LOL: Maybe when you find that special someone I will train her for you!:LOL::LOL:

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know how you feel, my other half is not very good at speaking up for himself either, which unfortunately landed us in some fincancial doo-doo. :Dizzy:

I'm much more assertive and have trouble controlling myself sometimes when people walk over him and his good nature etc. We have come to a decision that when there are problems that he is finding it difficult to confront at work or with the bank etc we write down the points and i help to write him a script! It may not work for you and your hubby but I've found that Hinchy is a lot more confident in dealing with people when he has an idea of what to say and how to say it.

Good luck in the job hunt, I have my fingers crossed for you and your husband.

X

Back