Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hyperventilating right after waking up?

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When George is asleep he is knocked out, and when I wake him he does the strangest thing. It's almost like he's hyperventilating or about ready to vomit. This goes on for a minute or two and then he seems to be okay. Should I be worried? Could this be asthma?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is not Asthma.
I have a cat with severe asthma that has had it for years and she is 17.5 years old now.
I am not sure what that can be.
You can always call a vet for advice.

pinupcats

Lairian
When George is asleep he is knocked out, and when I wake him he does the strangest thing. It's almost like he's hyperventilating or about ready to vomit. This goes on for a minute or two and then he seems to be okay. Should I be worried? Could this be asthma?
How often does he do this? If it's frequent, I think I'd take him into the vet and have him looked at. Certainly doesn't sound normal.

Good luck!
Cyndee

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sophie has done that the past two days. Eventually she sneezed- a BIG sneeze. But at first it sounded like hyperventilating -like you said in and out breathing with a little bit of a wheeze. It sounds similar to what you said. I didnt know if she was going to throw up or what when I heard it.

I took her to the vet yesterday for a re-check on her ears that had a bacterial infection (she was on ear drops for) and they found some blood so the bacteria may be in her blood stream. She's on Clavamox for it so I'm not too worried about her sneezes.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sophie has done that the past two days. Eventually she sneezed- a BIG sneeze. But at first it sounded like hyperventilating -like you said in and out breathing with a little bit of a wheeze. It sounds similar to what you said. I didnt know if she was going to throw up or what when I heard it.

I took her to the vet yesterday for a re-check on her ears that had a bacterial infection (she was on ear drops for) and they found some blood so the bacteria may be in her blood stream. She's on Clavamox for it so I'm not too worried about her sneezes.
Took George to the vet today. He also had an ear infection. Sounds like they have the same thing!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Took George to the vet today. He also had an ear infection. Sounds like they have the same thing!
Oh poor guy. Good thing you got him checked out. I'm glad you mentioned that hyperventilating thing- it was so weird when Sophie did it and it was followed by an enormous sneeze.

Did the vet say what they saw? In her first culture they saw yeast and bacteria. A week later now the yeast is gone but they still see bacteria. She is on Tresaderm ear drops for another week.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh poor guy. Good thing you got him checked out. I'm glad you mentioned that hyperventilating thing- it was so weird when Sophie did it and it was followed by an enormous sneeze.

Did the vet say what they saw? In her first culture they saw yeast and bacteria. A week later now the yeast is gone but they still see bacteria. She is on Tresaderm ear drops for another week.
He said at first he thought it might be mites, but I dont see how that could be since he doesn't go outside. Then he said it was a yeast infection.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope he feels better.
Be careful of vets saying it is ear mites.
I had a fight with a vet tech last week about Wrinkles when she tried to say she had ear mites.
I had to explain sphynx get oil and it is not ear mites.
My Wrinkles is sick also.
She has Clavamox and eye drops.
Of course she was lost at the airport.
You should print info up on sphynx cats and show it to the vet so they will learn more about them.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I hope he feels better.
Be careful of vets saying it is ear mites.
I had a fight with a vet tech last week about Wrinkles when she tried to say she had ear mites.
I had to explain sphynx get oil and it is not ear mites.
My Wrinkles is sick also.
She has Clavamox and eye drops.
Of course she was lost at the airport.
You should print info up on sphynx cats and show it to the vet so they will learn more about them.
Feel better Wrinkles!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't know if this will help anyone in the future with their Sphynx and ear problems but make sure they are checking the ear culture under the microscope before diagnosing (whether it be yeast, bacteria, especially if they try to say it is mites). I'm no expert at all but my breeder gave me this advice when I told her about Sophie's ear problems lately. My vet has been checking under the microscope- they did say at first they thought it was mites until they looked.

I may have to take her elsewhere to get a second opinion if her ears don't clear up next week (at that point it will have been 3 weeks of drops and a week of antibiotics).