Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hypothyroidism

Sphnxlvr

Lairian
my 13 years old sphnyx Sage has just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. They are putting her on some medication, I'm not sure what the name of it is yet. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?? Have you changed the diet and what has worked? I'm just starting to get info and see what my options are. I just want the best for my baby. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear Sage has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I never heared of it so can't give you advice. Only humped in to send healing vibes to Sage!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Sending head smooches to Sage! Wow! 13 that is awesome! I have no experience with hypothyroidism meds or diet - but I am sure a sphynx mum / dad will chime in soon! Wanted to send hugs and kisses to Sage!
Please keep us update!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I myself have hypothyroidism, (hypo) means underactive.
It makes you gain weight. Then, you'll loose it as soon, as, your
level gets right.

I have to take Synthroid daily for the rest of my life.
Your Cat will too. The Vet will have to check blood levels ever
so often, to get the meds to the level it needs to be.

Then, usually check twice a year.
Hyperthyroidism, (Hper) means over active. Meds for that to.
This makes your thyroid work harder.
Makes you loose to much weight, and you won't
stop, until, it's under control.

Works the same way in animals, as, it does, in humans.

Yvette

Lairian
I don't have Sphynx yet...I lurk around here but I activated an account because my father's cat had Hyperthyroidism. He was on felimazole for two years before he was treated with radioactive iodine. The problem is living with the disease long term starts to effect the cats heart. A lot of times Hyperthyroid cats eat a lot but end up becoming very thin like my dads cat. His cat was treated at the FHTC (Feline Hyperthyroid Treatment Center) in Washington State. It's the only cure for the disease. In some cases it does cause the cat to go into Hypothyroidism or the may need a retreatment but for his cat it was a success.

I believe it cost around 900 dollars and his cat stayed 4 nights in the treatment center. After that he had 2 follow ups with his regularly vet to check that the cats T4 levels were trending down. The cat has been doing amazing. I would ask your vet about the treatment. Check out the FHTC website. Good luck.

I just wanted to add that he was treated almost two years ago.

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I don't have Sphynx yet...I lurk around here but I activated an account because my father's cat had Hyperthyroidism. He was on felimazole for two years before he was treated with radioactive iodine. The problem is living with the disease long term starts to effect the cats heart. A lot of times Hyperthyroid cats eat a lot but end up becoming very thin like my dads cat. His cat was treated at the FHTC (Feline Hyperthyroid Treatment Center) in Washington State. It's the only cure for the disease. In some cases it does cause the cat to go into Hypothyroidism or the may need a retreatment but for his cat it was a success.

I believe it cost around 900 dollars and his cat stayed 4 nights in the treatment center. After that he had 2 follow ups with his regularly vet to check that the cats T4 levels were trending down. The cat has been doing amazing. I would ask your vet about the treatment. Check out the FHTC website. Good luck.

I just wanted to add that he was treated almost two years ago.

Hello Yvette and welcome to sphynxlair! Good to have you here and glad you decided to make an account cause you did give great advise!!

Hope you'll find a sphynx for yourself one day. And that you'll keep us updated while searching:)

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Glad you found out what is going on. Honestly, it is quite controllable and the med are pretty affordable. Usually, with this you don't need a special diet. Hope all goes well and you can enjoy many more years together

Sphnxlvr

Lairian
We did another blood panel, specifically for thyroid. Turns out that there is no thyroid problems. So no meds are needed. I am putting Sage back on a raw diet. Hopefully this will be a good thing!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Always nice to hear there is not a chronic diagnosis. I hope the change in diet helps.

Patti

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Good to hear. Hope your cat continues with good health

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back