Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I am moving...

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok, so with a heavy heart my husband and I are splitting up. Since, Lemmy is pretty much my cat, he is going with me. I am moving back into my mom and dads house....they currently don't live there, so it is cool. But, then I will be moving again into an apartment in a few months. So, my question is....how do I make the transition with Lemmy as easy on him as possible? I have never owned a cat before, but I know that they can be more sensitive than dogs in the moving sense. I just don't want him to like freak out and destroy things or not use his litter box or something crazy like that. Any suggestions would be very helpful!! Thanks.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'm sorry to hear of your split up.

I'm in the process of moving and I've unfortunatley moved several times with kitties in tow. This is my first move while having a Sphynx tho. Anyhow, my first suggestion is wherever you end up moving find out if previous pets were in the home at any time. Sniff out odors that could causes litter box issues. I'm actually in the process of moving right now and I'm replacing all carpet in the home. Its expensive and a hassel but one thing I don't deal well with is litter box issues. So it will save me stress in the end. If you happen to find old accidents then use Natures Miracles. ALOT of it! Make sure its all dry by the time your kitty comes to that house/apartment.
Typically what I do when moving (which is what I'm doing now) is I pack everything, when moving heavy or awkward objects I isolate my kitties so I don't step or trip over one of them. They could seriously get hurt. Move everything, once its semi set up (all large items are in place)at the new place I'll bring my kitty to that house as long as we are staying there that night. So then kitty isn't going back and forth and such. We are moving some things tomorrow night and moving all large items on friday with plans of being in the new house on friday. We are also laying the carpet sometime tomorrow and friday AM so then I can bring Snuffie over by Friday afternoon. She has been taking well to it thus far, she has the herpes virus so I'm just waiting for a flair up but so far so good. The house we found was ruined by the previous person who lived there so I've spent the past 4 days painting every room in the house, tearing out carpets and laying down new carpet padding to get ready to lay the new carpet tomorrow. Its been a crazy week but its coming to a end here very soon thank goodness. Even tho I'm working over at the new house pretty much 12 hours a day I make sure to come home during the day to take a lunch or break here with Snuffie so she isn't getting too lonely or anything. I hope this helps soon and hopefully your new place won't require nearly as much work as I've had to go through but just be sure to keep feeding times routine and if your moving things around and walk by your kitty be sure to talk to him and he'll know your still there and that everything is gonna be okay! Let me know if you have any specific questions. Happy to help or give suggestions. Goodluck with everything and I hope your move goes smoothly! xoxo

Inferno12

Banned
I dont know you that well but I want to tell you that you are in my thoughts. Break ups are so hard but I am glad that you get to keep the baby. He will help you through so much. You have gotten great advice from ckutkuhn7 and I really dont have much more to add other than you need to be there for Lemmy and he will be there for you. I think the biggest thing (other than what has been suggested already) is that you let him know that its ok.

Good luck and I am sorry for the pain in your heart. I know it isnt easy. Big hugs from me and Johnny and I think I can speak for all of us.......If you need anything we are all here.

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks guys for everything! I am lucky in 1 respect. My mom and dad have never owned a cat, so I know that there will not be any of those smells in the house. They did have a dog a long time ago, so maybe things will be ok with that. I am extremely glad that I get to take Lemmy with me. I don't think that I could ever live without him. Even now I sometimes wonder how I made it the first 28 yrs of my life without him!! LOL I will make sure that I reassure him alot that things are ok. The good thing is that I am moving all in one day to my parents house, so maybe that will make things easier also. I don't have a computer there, so I will try to check on here as much as possible after Monday. I am going to miss having the lair to go to all the time!! Must get a computer and the internet ASAP!! It is like a life requirement!! LOL

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Sorry you are splitting up.
I have moved with cats 3 times since 2002.
I would put the carrier in 1 room and open it and let him come out if he wants.
I have 2 very skittish cats that are scared of everything.
Put his stuff in the same room as him.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's really to bad but I always try to think of ways of turning a negative into a positive. I'm not very good at it, but I still try.

I recently had a similar situation and Butterball loved moving. He was a little timid at first but within hours he was back to his normal old self. My mother absolutely hates cats and even Butterball's cuteness didn't change her mind but my old man loves the little booger. He would get up early in the morning and Butterball would run in the living room and sit right next to my dad and watch him drink coffee. I did have to close the door to my parents room at night. Butterball would go in there and try to find a nice warm sleeping spot. Butterball would give head butts and try to rub up on my dads face while he was sleeping. He does it to me all the time but I guess my dad doesn't appreciate that.

And you're in trouble with no computer. I went without the internet for 6 months. I went through withdrawals. I can't live unplugged. Oh how times have changed. I used to read every post on sphynx lair. Then one day after a month or so, there were over 2,000 unread posts. I just couldn't read them all, now I feel like I'm just not informed.

Good luck and it's time to start that new chapter in the book of Lemmysmommy.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
We wish you the best of luck with the move. You have got some great advice from the others that have moved, we have not moves with our sphynx so the only thing that comes to mind for me is to keep showing him the litter box to remind Lemmy where it is in the new place.
Sorry about the break up, keep your chin up and a smile on your face.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sorry to hear you are splitting up and moving, i know from personal experience how hard it can be. I think one thing you need to try and remember is that if you are calm about the situation Lemmy will be calmer too...the Feliway is a great idea as it will also help to keep him calm and feel more at home.

Hopefully for Lemmy it won't be much different from the frst day you brought him home and at least this time he will have his loving momma there with him.

Good luck with everything and big hugs XxX

susi794

Staff member
I'm so sorry---even if it's time to split, give yourself the time and permission to grieve the relationship, then the permission to get excited about starting a new chapter in your life. I'm sure Lemmy will be fine--he has you and a new adventure to look forward to. I'd also do the Feliway and make sure he know where the litterbox is when you get to your new house.
We're here...get online again soon, ok?
Love,
Susi and the gang

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks again guys!! It really does make me feel better that I have my lair family to count on. I will try your suggestions and hope that this move is ok. I am very upset, but kinda excited all in the same way. I keep trying to look at this like it is an adventure to go on. I just hope that I don't sink when I try to swim!! LOL I forgot that I can get on the lair from my phone if I can get it to work when I get there. I will try and stay in the loop. If I don't talk to you all soon, take care!! I love you guys!:BigSmile:

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm sorry to hear about your break-up and hope everything goes ok with the move. I moved across country from California to Missouri with my Sphynx Harry. The only problem I had was trying to get away from people who happened to spot Harry in the car at gas stations or rest stops! He was a trooper. He loved the car ride. He had no problem with the hotel stay and settled right in to my parents house (even with a unknown dog) while I looked for a place. I made sure I showed him the litter box and that was that. At my new house he once again took to it really well. Showed him the litter box and not once has he gone anywhere else. Made sure he had stuff to do (I lucked out here b/c the previous owner had cats and wrapped a pole in the basement with sisal for them to climb, Harry was in raptures for it and pounced down on me everytime I walked by)

If Lemmy is not normally skittish and it's you he's attached to he"ll probably do really well.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't have any better advice than what you have already gotton here, but having been through a divorce I know it sucks and wanted you to know we all are here to share your highs and lows. You have a great outlook already, it is definately an adventure! (((HUGS)))

holly_savage

Banned
SOrry to hear about the life change. It's hard and it sucks, but just know that even though you may not see it right now there is always light at the end of that proverbial tunnel!

Chin Up and good luck with the move, and since you are moving out, tell him your taking the cat AND the computer...then all you have to do is get the net hooked up!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
SOrry to hear about the life change. It's hard and it sucks, but just know that even though you may not see it right now there is always light at the end of that proverbial tunnel!

Chin Up and good luck with the move, and since you are moving out, tell him your taking the cat AND the computer...then all you have to do is get the net hooked up!

:ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

nativekiwi

Lairian
Sorry to hear of your break up, but at least you have made the decision and are moving forward. Don't feel lonely, when you have a space in your life something will come along to fill it, you will be surprised at whats been waiting for you. My cat Shady was always more attached to me than any house and i think alot of Sphynx are like that. just move your stuff first and when it all there, move him and then settle in for the night. He'll help you unpack, well by help i mean get into everything. If he's anything like Shady he'll be rapt to have you to himself.

Back