Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I am so tired

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Gummi is sick again, same symptoms, out of the blue.

Yesterday she was active playing, eating 100 % normal kitten. This morning she threw up, but ate some and was playing with her sisters, so I wasn't too worried. The vet told me that vomiting alone was nothing to be concerned with. When I got home from class tonight, she is limp, drooling, labored breathing, pooing on herself, all the same symptoms as the last two times. It's like she gets better for a couple of weeks and then goes downhill all of a sudden.

I still have some doxy, and metro so have started her on that, but we don't know if they will help. All her bloodwork turned out normal. What the heck is going on with this kitten?? Is this something that will be a lifelong recurrence for her? No one seems to be able to answer those questions. She has seen 3 vets now, and all came to the same conclusion~ They don't know! She looks miserable, and I have run out of options to help her, other than make her comfortable and hope she bounces back again.

I do still have fluids if she needs it.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know links are a no-no here, but there is a Fanciers' Health list on Yahoo and it comprises a lot of breeders with vast knowledge of cats. Hon, I really really think you should sign up there and post a detailed description of what happened the first time, the symptoms, the treatments that didn't work and the treatments that did and see what people suggest.

Oh no Gummi! Not again! This honestly made me cry. I think you should consider the advice and look for help anywhere you can. You never know, someone else may have had the same experience or be able to lend some insight that the vets just don't have at this point.

I am so sorry. We are all pulling for sweet Gummi and I know you must be just exhausted with everything. I will keep you all in my prayers. I just told Trevor and he is very upset. He was over telling Gable and Amaryllis (yes he talks to the cats just like his Mom) that Gummi is sick and that he is worried about her.

Please keep us updated.

Hugs,
Kris

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Okay, so right before I posted this I gave Gumster a dose of doxy, within 2 hours, she is up, eating and looks perfectly normal:Dizzy: Doxy helped her the first time too, she was on it for 2 weeks, the second time she got sick, we were concentrating on the diarhhea, and she didn't get the doxy until the last minute along with metronidazole, she was on that combo for a month! We were not sure which med did the trick. This time I had some doxy left and gave it to her as soon as I saw symptoms and she is improving already.

Doxy is cheap, thank goodness, but is she going to have to stay on it for the rest of her life? Wouldn't at some point it stop working? I am going to call the vet in the morning and see what he says. But for now she looks great:ThumbsUp:

Inferno12

Banned
wheew......That makes me feel better. I dont want my little girl to be sick. Im soooo glad that you found something that makes her feel better. I cant go on vacation knowing that my little Gummi is sick :Dizzy:

Keep your head up and remember you have all of us behind you. We love you! :ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

Treasurecat

Banned
I was so sorry to see your first post, my heart just sank. I was much happier to read on and see that she is improving.
As far as being in abs forever, one of mine, Isobel, is curently on clavamox. She has also been on at least 5 others that seemed to stop working (this is over the last three years). The difference is her bloodwork without abs, the WBC count shoots up to 40,000, but no one can tell me why, between 3-4 vets and a university.
Please give Gummers a kiss for me and tell her she better cut this out, its much too stressful!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This thread was like a rollercoster ride. I'm glad it ended on a better note than it started.

I'm glad to hear that the Doxy helped somehow with whatever is going on with Gummi. She has a lot of people stumped. I think I would take earlier advice and post on the Fancier's Health List as it would be a bigger pool of advice to draw from.

Thinking of you, Gummi, and your family....

susi794

Staff member
Bronwyn, can your life get any more hectic? Am greatly relieved to hear Gummi is doing better. Am remembering you all in my prayers.
Much love,
Susi
P.S. Will comeone PM me the address or link to the Fancier's Health List? I'd like to file that under things I might need to use in the future.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bronwyn, can your life get any more hectic? Am greatly relieved to hear Gummi is doing better. Am remembering you all in my prayers.
Much love,
Susi
P.S. Will comeone PM me the address or link to the Fancier's Health List? I'd like to file that under things I might need to use in the future.

I will send it to you, Susi. Gummi is perfect this morning:ThumbsUp: Makes me think it's some bug that the doxy helps, but just has not been able to get rid of yet. and it is clearly not contagious, so that's good

Bella07

Banned
Oh no, my heart sank when I read your first post. Luckily I read all the comments this time, and am so happy to hear that she is up and bouncing around again. Lots of kisses and love to Gummi! Good Luck with finding out what's wrong.

I am so glad to hear she is doing better. I swear that Gumball....

Grab her up and tickle that wee girl and tell her we cannot take this! Naughty naked girl! I told Trevor she was feeling better and he jumped up and said "YAY GUMMI!"

That kitten sure has quite the fan club!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm glad the doxy is working even if you don't know what it's fixing. Sometimes that just happens, so dope it up and worry about what it cured later. Give Gummi a hug from me!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
wow, I was worried for a second,,glad to hear she is doing better tho! I hope she stays the way she is and doesn't take any backwards steps!

Love you guys,,,stay well!!!
Christina n Snuffie

susi794

Staff member
Here you go again! This reminds me of all that happened to me last winterNobody knew what it was, nobody could fix it...was about at the end of my rope. Finally a long dose of doxy cleared it up. I feel your pain.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How long of a dose Susi? The vets are not sure how long she should be on it. Also did it give your cats diarrhea? They are worried about her having such runny poo (it's just water again now) and that can be just as bad for her.

susi794

Staff member
I think we went for a double length dose--maybe 20 days? It's been awhile, so am not sure, but I think it was twice as long as normal--Lulu still has poop soup and have tried everything the vet and I know. Treated for giardia twice, treated with antibiotics, gave her anitidiarreah meds, gave her yogurt, gave her pumpkin, gave her kaolin pectin mixed in with her food--all to no avail. So I started giving her baby strength immodium when it gets really runny. But now I think she's pregnant and I have to be careful--so am thinking about trying my friend lpotter's vet to see if that makes a difference. If I could figure this all out I'd be thrilled. Then to top it all off Debbie emailed me yesterday and said that Mabel or Pruney (Don't know which one) vomited up some roundworms and was quite upset. But not sure how that could be--I had everyone dewormed in May. My vet used Nemex and I followed his exact instructions. So how could my cats have had roundworms? If they did, they wouldn't have them now--I just dosed everyone with Panacure (sp?) (which is a dewormer) in case they had giardia. I don't know what to do about the poop thing either.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think we went for a double length dose--maybe 20 days? It's been awhile, so am not sure, but I think it was twice as long as normal--Lulu still has poop soup and have tried everything the vet and I know. Treated for giardia twice, treated with antibiotics, gave her anitidiarreah meds, gave her yogurt, gave her pumpkin, gave her kaolin pectin mixed in with her food--all to no avail. So I started giving her baby strength immodium when it gets really runny. But now I think she's pregnant and I have to be careful--so am thinking about trying my friend lpotter's vet to see if that makes a difference. If I could figure this all out I'd be thrilled. Then to top it all off Debbie emailed me yesterday and said that Mabel or Pruney (Don't know which one) vomited up some roundworms and was quite upset. But not sure how that could be--I had everyone dewormed in May. My vet used Nemex and I followed his exact instructions. So how could my cats have had roundworms? If they did, they wouldn't have them now--I just dosed everyone with Panacure (sp?) (which is a dewormer) in case they had giardia. I don't know what to do about the poop thing either.

((HUG)) Thought you might need one:Laugh:

Back