Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I apologize in advance if this grosses anyone out.

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
First I want to apologize for not being on the Lair much lately, I've been working crazy hours 6 days a week and have just been to exhausted afterwards to come online for any longer than 3 minutes!

Anyways, I have a question. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know what it was lol.

The last time I bathed Hudson, everything was going as normal (he's been loving his baths since the weather has gotten colder) but this specific time he let out some brown looking liquid/clumps out of his but....I thought maybe it was feces but the smell was horrendous, not like feces at all (sorry to be gross but it almost had the smell of a female menstruation cycle, yuck) I ended up having to let all the water out of his tub and had to re-bathe him as he just stunk of whatever the "liquid" was. I know dogs get their anal glands squeezed when being groomed but Ive seen that before and this didn't seem like the same thing....anyone have any ideas?? Was he just "really relaxed"?? Again I apologize for the nastiness of the explanation.

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have no idea what it could be. Maybe it is an anal gland thing. Hopefully someone else has some good info.

fezmarie73

Lairian
Cats do sometimes need to have their anal glands expressed, but not often. They seem to be able to take care of this on their own. And the smell is terrible - not just because of the scent of feces, but also because they have strong scent gland secretions that mix with the smell of feces and cause that putrid smell. Some people have said it's fishy smelling, some say it smells like a skunk! Cats can usually express this gland naturally by doing a number 2. If the poo is firm, it should express the glands as it is released. Sometimes, too, cats can spontaneously express when nervous or excited.
You should definitely call your vet and ask. He or she can tell you if your kitty has an infection, and/or may need some medicine and more fiber in his diet.
Gross, yeah... but hey. You wanna know your kid is healthy. :Smile:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Don't freak...my little girl would some times expel (shoot dark stuff and I mean shoot) when I first put her in the bath. I learned to bathe my boy first and let the tub fill up. I wash him and run clean water form the tap for the final rinse.) When I put her in a tub full to the bottom of her tummy, she does not do this...I rinse her in clean water as well, but only start to drain the tub as I am rinsing. Hope this helps. Yes it stinks, but glad I found what worked to avoid this. I firmly think it is nerves.

8i8butterfly

Lairian
I honestly think it was from his anal glands . Alot of times when animals '' feel'' a certain way that will happen. I believe it is more common in dogs but can happen with cats . As long as there is normal behavior when using the bathroom , you check his bottom for redness swelling and everything is normal I wouldn't worry about it .

Fluffy

Lairian
I'd say anal glands too. The smell is very distinctive and strong!! Keep an eye on it thou cus they do get infected easily and a regular empty and antibiotics sort it out ;-)

Maxxnv

Lairian
It sounds like anal gland fluid. I do Shadow's anal glands once in a while and yes the smell is distinct to say the least. He isn't thrilled about me doing it to him but it should be done once in a while all the same. Lesson learned make sure you are careful in the direction you squeeze it. You don't want any misguided fluid in the wrong direction I know from experience.

brattly2

Lairian
First I want to apologize for not being on the Lair much lately, I've been working crazy hours 6 days a week and have just been to exhausted afterwards to come online for any longer than 3 minutes!

Anyways, I have a question. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know what it was lol.

The last time I bathed Hudson, everything was going as normal (he's been loving his baths since the weather has gotten colder) but this specific time he let out some brown looking liquid/clumps out of his but....I thought maybe it was feces but the smell was horrendous, not like feces at all (sorry to be gross but it almost had the smell of a female menstruation cycle, yuck) I ended up having to let all the water out of his tub and had to re-bathe him as he just stunk of whatever the "liquid" was. I know dogs get their anal glands squeezed when being groomed but Ive seen that before and this didn't seem like the same thing....anyone have any ideas?? Was he just "really relaxed"?? Again I apologize for the nastiness of the explanation.

I work as a vet tech and we actually have 2 cats that come in regularly for anal gland expression like a dog. That is exactly what it sounds like going on with your kitty

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It sounds like anal gland fluid. I do Shadow's anal glands once in a while and yes the smell is distinct to say the least. He isn't thrilled about me doing it to him but it should be done once in a while all the same. Lesson learned make sure you are careful in the direction you squeeze it. You don't want any misguided fluid in the wrong direction I know from experience.

Exactly how do you express a cat's anal glands?

xAnnthia

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Definitely sounds like anal glands. I do Marley's before we get in the tub. If I don't, We have the same issue. :Pudently:

LineB

Lairian
I honestly think it was from his anal glands . Alot of times when animals '' feel'' a certain way that will happen. I believe it is more common in dogs but can happen with cats . As long as there is normal behavior when using the bathroom , you check his bottom for redness swelling and everything is normal I wouldn't worry about it .
wow, good tips..I am just awaiting to have my baby boy Mr Wilson and I can't read enough on everything. Thank you all for sharing your stories, it's amazing how it helps me to be more informed and ready to be a good mom.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to see you are reading through some of the older posts. It looks like you are reading what to expect when you are expecting @LineB lol.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@LineB seems like you are going to be very prepared for Mr. Wilson. :) By the way, does his name have anything to do with Dennis The Menace?

LineB

Lairian
Hi GoldHazel..thanks for the reply...some people mentioned Dennis a couple times, but no..it's more related to Castaway ...it will be My Wilson, LOL

Attachments

• Wilson Casteway.jpg
    Wilson Casteway.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 16

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@LineB ooooh, that Wilson. LOL I guess you putting the, "Mr." first makes ppl think of Dennis. :) Either way, I love the name. I happen to love Mr. or Miss before a name so much that I named my girl, "Miss Violet" and she is never called, "Violet" ever. LOL

Back