Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I bought my kitty birds!

Fountainrunner

Lairian
Funny story... OK, so two months ago I woke up to find my house filled with huge flies. Apparently something died in my house according to my exterminator. I have no idea how, what, where this happened but it took the exterminator over two weeks to come out. By the time he came the flies were gone but during those two dreadful weeks of me killing dozens of them my kitty was too happy. He spent all day watching, chatting, and trying to climb the walls to chase after them. I'd never seen him so engaged before. When I finally got rid of all the flies I was sad because my poor kitty was back to looking bored again, so that's when I decided the closest thing to flies would be birds.

I found out they were holding a bird show in town and went and picked up four birds. I was nervous about how my kitty would react but just as he'd done with the flies as soon as he saw those birds he lit up. Now every morning he wakes up and runs out to see the birds. We've had them for two weeks now and I'll walk into the room to find him trying to figure out how to climb the walls to get to them, lol. But mostly he sits in his favorite chair and listens to them sing and watches them as they spill seeds all over the floor. It's just so much fun to watch. Anyway, I have to laugh every time I think of how something had to die for me to come up with the idea to get birds to entertain my kitty. It was either that or pray for a mysterious creature to die again and bring on the second wave of flies. :Dizzy:

PitRottMommy

Banned
My cats have that huge affinity for flies too, with the same reaction.

What's cute outside the cage may be a death sentence if the birds are ever loose in the house. Make sure any cats are put in another room if you or your family elect to handle the birds.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like he is having fun with them. We got our 2 some fish (well they where for us but the cats seem to pay more attention to them) Leo will sit and watch them forever.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What a spoilt boy :LOL: I'm glad he's enjoying his pets!! Mug-Y is fascinated by Brian my bearded dragon and will watch him (and his live food) for ages chatting away!

X

holly_savage

Banned
that's so cute...can't wait to see Hibou's reaction to flies this spring/summer (wayy too cold here for flies right now).

Hibou too, has her own fish, and last night was the first night she figured out that she jump up onto the top of the aquarium and use her paw to "go fish" through the holes in the back of the lid...funny to watch, but I guess I should get it covered so I don't stress out my fish.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
We got Snuffie two gold fish. She has gone fishing twice now with no success thankfully. LOL We have to move their bowl into the bathroom at night so we don't have to worry about waking up to no fish or a huge mess of water. Gotta love cats, they are so funny.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's awesome! I want to see pics or video of him with his birdies. Sophie is crazy about my grandfather's finches that he has. She just watches and tries to get as close as possible!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
LOL...and I thought I was the only person who would buy their cat a pet.....I got Nofuratu a hamster last year....he adores it! He has actually saved the hamsters life about 10 times! The kids keep accidently letting the hamster get out and they lose him and Nofuratu finds him and doesnt eat him! Now its routine, if the hamster is lost, we go get Nofur to find him.
Here's some photos of him and the hamster, and his fishies and his outdoor birds.
Wait til he finds out you got your kitty INDOOR birds!......

Fountainrunner

Lairian
Too cute! What kind of birds did you get?

We have finches.

Maggie wants birds but I said no because she's not gonna clean up after them lol

Oh, the birds are so easy to clean up after. Once a week I change the paper at the bottom of the cage. Much easier than daily litter duty.

LOL...and I thought I was the only person who would buy their cat a pet.....I got Nofuratu a hamster last year....he adores it! He has actually saved the hamsters life about 10 times! The kids keep accidently letting the hamster get out and they lose him and Nofuratu finds him and doesnt eat him! Now its routine, if the hamster is lost, we go get Nofur to find him.

OK guys, now I'm sad. Now my kitty needs a hamster. And fish! Soon I'll have a house full of animals solely to entertain my monster. :Sweat:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've thought about getting Sophie some fish.

Joe wants a ferret. :Dizzy: I've never had ferrets (I've had a rat, many guinea pigs, frogs, lizard). I wish he wanted another sphynx!

Sophie loves my grandfather's birds when we go visit. He has finches. And the finches made finches, made finches, and there's more eggs again! We have to go visit again to see the new babies when they hatch!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Ferrets are cool. I've never owned one but I've had friends who have them and man those things are halarious! They can do some pretty cool tricks and are defintley into more crap than a cat but if you can put up with a 2 yr old then a ferret is for you! lol

Back