Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

I cannot get my 7 mo. old to stop screaming when I am getting his food ready.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get cat to stop screaming when I am preparing his food? Like literally screams and meows so loud it is beyond annoying. I have tried the water bottle and that does not work. I do not want to yell at him...he is my baby.

It just seems like when it comes to food and eating time, he loses his mind. He screams in the morning too.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
How many times a day are you feeding him? At 7 months old, he is still a growing kitten with a very fast metabolism. If you are feeding raw, maybe some snacks at set intervals between his two main daily feedings, or add another smaller midday meal, if feasible. If you aren’t on a raw diet, you could free-feed a high quality kibble throughout the day, in addition to his 2-3 main wet food meals. The latter is what we do for our 5.5 month old male, and he stays pretty chill for feedings.

If it’s not directly food related, it could be hormonal if he is not fixed. Otherwise, he may just be a super chatty chap, and for that I have no advice to lend. Maybe some other members will join in. I hope I was of some help!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Welcome to the club. We have 4 and 3 of them are usually screaming at me while I prepare their meals. They are also trying to get at the food at the same time. I just make a short hissing noise and they back away from the area I am prepping in. Their mothers corrected them with hissing. I find it helps but not 100% of the time.mThey are persistent buggers.

Last edited:
I feed him Stella & Chewy freeze dried raw 3x’s a day. Hissing, saying no or quiet has not worked either. Maybe he just loves to scream? Haha

He is neutered. I suppose I will just try to ignore his loud meowing and hope he outgrows it.

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Janusz sounds like you gave a talkative guy who wants to make sure his human prepares his food the right way.
Just like my boy Ross: "yes mommy fill up the bowl". "Noooo mommy a little more on the left side please, that looks better":)

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I feed him Stella & Chewy freeze dried raw 3x’s a day. Hissing, saying no or quiet has not worked either. Maybe he just loves to scream? Haha

He is neutered. I suppose I will just try to ignore his loud meowing and hope he outgrows it.
Yeah, sounds like he’s just a chatty boy! I heard sphynx tend to be more vocal than other other breeds. Especially males. He is probably just so excited about mealtime, that he can’t hold it in! :singing::singing::singing: He knows what he likes, and he wants the world to know it!

My little guy is very loud when it comes to knowing my hubby is pulling out food for them.. We joke and just say "can't hear you Artie." From my experience a sphynx is louder than a domestic cat..lol But makes them awesome... :D

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
He might need to eat more volume of food or more often. When mine are starving they do the same thing. We fed them 4x a day until they were a year old. Add another meal in and see if he gets better. He is just hangry probably. And some are just loud. My Molly is like that. She will yell and scream until she gets what she wants, be it food, a bed, playing, etc.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awh.. Head smooches to your talker baby

Ome thing I would try is to train like a dog -
It takes time but persistent consistent is the way to go

I will give the Ahhhh amd wait till I get a quiet pause
Then put down the food - it can take 5 minutes or longer but the light bulb will go on lol
The food given at a quiet moment reinforces the "quiet" command -
you can say whatever word ( lol no 4 letter words lol ) for Quiet
Amd then Mark the good behavior with the meal l
They catch on quick

By feeding ehen screaming it is reinforcing the scream
Much like s dog barking food etc l
Reward to positive behavior - you can keep treats in a jar and work on the "quest " command

Look forward to updates !

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If you figure it out, please let me know. Cleopatra has been yelling at food time (and for the hour before time) every day for 7 years!

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there !
My two make s little sound when they want their food but it isn’t loud it’s like slow c’mon momma feed us
But before Bagins goes potty he makes a really loud crying sound and same when he as finished .. Bagins is much more vocal than Cleo she is very reserved .. maybe they are just trying to get you to feed them quicker lol
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

Hi there !
My two make s little sound when they want their food but it isn’t loud it’s like slow c’mon momma feed us
But before Bagins goes potty he makes a really loud crying sound and same when he as finished .. Bagins is much more vocal than Cleo she is very reserved .. maybe they are just trying to get you to feed them quicker lol
Xxx❤️❤️❤️
HAHA-mine announces her poops! I feel your pain on this one. I just congratulate her on a job well done and then we both move on!