Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I can't tell if he's trying to mate with her or eat her for dinner... Help Please!

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When George first met Flare he was scared of her and would run, back up, and hiss. This took about a week and a half for him to calm down. Once he calmed down, he did the unexpected.... He kept trying to mount her! Shawn and I were completely shocked because both Flare and George are fixed! A day later we took Flare back to the vet and he said that due to her infections we should isolate her from George.
So now that Flare's mouth is fixed, my vet has given the "o.k." to letting her out confinement and letting her and George interact. This will be the first time since the second week after we purchased her. That's nearly 2 months ago!
The second we let them out to play, he makes these weird noises(almost like a ringing telephone) and he will not let her alone. We thought he was trying to mount her, but lately I'm beginning to wonder if he actually wants her for dinner. He does do the typical biting of the back of her neck, but he also licks her, tries to knock her down, puts her in head locks, and I've even noticed him wrapping himself around her side and scratching her with his hind legs(isn't this typical of cats with prey). I would be perfectly fine if he was just a horn dog, but I would not be OK if he's thinking she is food.

What is he doing? She will play with him for awhile, but after 30 minutes or so, she wants back in her room away from him. I think this has to do with him constantly pouncing on top of her. Flare is a petite girl and George is monstrously huge.(he is currently on a diet) He weighs 18 lbs. and she weighs 8 lbs.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Re: I can't tell if he's trying to mate with her or eat her for dinner... Help Please

It sounds like he is just playing rough. I am not for sure but Jack does that to Ben non stop. He bites his neck chases him roughs him up. Almost like I am top dog here buddy. Ben never fights back.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Re: I can't tell if he's trying to mate with her or eat her for dinner... Help Please

It sounds like he is just playing rough. I am not for sure but Jack does that to Ben non stop. He bites his neck chases him roughs him up. Almost like I am top dog here buddy. Ben never fights back.

Flare never fights back either! She just stands there!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Polar was doing that to Cleo and Wrinkles but he has mostly stopped now.
Cleo did not fight back either and would scream.
He was trying to mate them even though he is altered.
Tell him no when he does it.
You need to stop it now.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

He does it to Juno too but she fights back and they run all over the house. That is why I think he is just playing rough, he even tries to get me to play like that.

holly_savage

Banned

Hibou and Kokka both do and they are both female. At first it was mostly Hibou "mounting", biting Kokka on the neck and fighting dirty, with her hind legs. But now I see Kokka giving it back just as hard. I try to keep and eye on them and break it up when it gets a little too rough (ie one or the other starts screaming), but for the most part I let them at it. I have a feeling it is a dominance thing, and they are just trying to establish the pecking order. Hibou weighs twice as much as Kokka, but she doesn't give an inch. When one of them has had enough they will usually come sit on my lap, or go their beds.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I have a feeling it is a dominance thing, and they are just trying to establish the pecking order.

My gut tells me Holly is right. George may be playing tough guy and showing Flare who's the boss. If she is not fighting back or putting him in his place, you may have to break them up when it gets to be too rough.

susi794

Staff member

It might be a combination of both--trying to mate her and also trying to dominate. My girls occasionally bite the back of Moody's neck and climb on his back and do the exact same motions he does on them....so this must also be a domination thing.....if he is hurting her, she will let you know. Or she will beat the heck out of George.

harperc

Lairian

I agree. Probably just a dominating thing. Chloe is the one to dominate when my sister comes to visit with her Weenie Dog. It is too funny! I thought that it would be the other way around (dog trying to get the cat) but am glad that it's not! :) Hmmm... Maybe I should take a video. It is totally funny!

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I was going to say the same thing, Abby mounts our 4 lb. chihuahua - just to show who is boss. Then she knocks her down and gives her a bath. Poor dog has an identity crisis....

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Gosh, makes me glad my cats are pretty asexual; I've never seen this behavior with any of them. They fight with each other sometimes but never do the mounting thing.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I would agree with Holly- my girls do the same thing. I always keep an eye on them just in case it gets out of hand.

ckutkuhn7

Banned

My girls do the same thing. I believe its a dominance thing as well as a play thing. Because it always seems to starts out as playing and then someone gets mad and it turns into dominance. I've only ever had to seperate them a few times but when SoBe was so tiny when she first came home we always worried that Snuffie who was so much bigger would squish her to death.
It was common for Snuffie to lay her big ole' belleh on SoBe and they would chew on each others neck. It didn't take long for SoBe to figure out that Snuffie doesn't like to be bit on the butt so now she constantly does it when Snuffie makes her mad. AND SoBe and all 5.9 lbs of herself can pin Snuffie to the floor and mount her!! Now 11.9 lbs Snuffie can stand up and make SoBe fall off but its a funny sight to see! lol

I would let them sort it out until you know they are hurting each other. My kitties have gotten really rough before but they have never scratched each other or bitten hard enough to draw blood.

Back