Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I don't know what to do anymore.

susi794

Staff member
I came home tonight and Lulu is so stuffed up I can hear her breathing through her poor little stuffed up nose, her eyes are watery and a little goopy, and Pruney is also sneezing his little butt off. Not constantly, but several times since I've been home. We just finished our third round of antibiotics: amoxicillin, clavamox, and gentamicin.
I could just get hysterical if I allowed myself to do it.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Try Baytril.
Cleo got sik and we tried Clavamox twice and Cefalexin and they did not work well.
Then we used Baytril and she is fine.
One of the sphynx that was show against Cleo last Oct got the same thing as she did and he is still sick.
I told her to try Baytril also.
Cleo ended up with a very bad URI and it went to my other cats.
I hope they feel better.
Baytril is stronger and it is what my Coco is on to top her from gettin bladder infections since no other antibiotics helped.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Get her in the bathroom and run a hot shower. Put her in a cat carrier if you can't supervise her 100% so that she doesn't go near the hot water. The steam will help clear her nose.
That will help right now. Have you got any Eucalyptus oil, you can add a few drops into a bowl of hot water that will help clear her nose too.

Looks like another trip to the vets though:Cry:

Have you started giving the Lysine yet? If not, I would start and give her the maximum dose.

Would an Antihistamine work to help ease the symptoms of the runny eyes/ nose while your waiting for any new antibiotics to start working?

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh Susi, I am so sorry to hear. My two have had cold symptoms off and on since I got them 3 mths ago. I seriously suspect they may have herpes. The next time I take them in I am going to see about getting them tested. I think the steam is a good idea. Aren't they all on injections still? Good luck and pls keep us updated. BTW I am going to be in Nauvoo, IL in July and thought we could meet but I see it is still quite a jaunt darn it!

Brooke

Banned
Like Mews2much, I was also going to recommend Baytril. Helen had a persistent cough and Baytril was the only thing that took care of it (after trying other antibiotics). As long as your cats are over 1 year old and not nursing, the vet shouldn't have an issue trying it.

I'm sorry!!

susi794

Staff member
Like Mews2much, I was also going to recommend Baytril. Helen had a persistent cough and Baytril was the only thing that took care of it (after trying other antibiotics). As long as your cats are over 1 year old and not nursing, the vet shouldn't have an issue trying it.

I'm sorry!!

Both Pruney and Lulu are under a year. No one else seems to be sneezing at the moment. I will put Lulu in the bathroom with the hot shower going....poor little thing.

susi794

Staff member
Oh Susi, I am so sorry to hear. My two have had cold symptoms off and on since I got them 3 mths ago. I seriously suspect they may have herpes. The next time I take them in I am going to see about getting them tested. I think the steam is a good idea. Aren't they all on injections still? Good luck and pls keep us updated. BTW I am going to be in Nauvoo, IL in July and thought we could meet but I see it is still quite a jaunt darn it!

I will look it up on the map--am off school in July--would LOVE to meet you if we could get together somehow. Maybe I could come there on a little side trip or something...let's ponder it.

Brooke

Banned
Both Pruney and Lulu are under a year. No one else seems to be sneezing at the moment. I will put Lulu in the bathroom with the hot shower going....poor little thing.

Are they close to a year? It's a general rule of thumb, mostly because it's proven unsafe for puppies under 1 year (or so I'm told) but a friend of mine with a 7 month old sphynx just started a round of Baytril from her vet. Might be worth mentioning to the vet anyway!

PS- this 7 month old had been sick for some time and on different antibiotics that also didn't work...Baytril seems to be working.

susi794

Staff member
Get her in the bathroom and run a hot shower. Put her in a cat carrier if you can't supervise her 100% so that she doesn't go near the hot water. The steam will help clear her nose.
That will help right now. Have you got any Eucalyptus oil, you can add a few drops into a bowl of hot water that will help clear her nose too.

Looks like another trip to the vets though:Cry:

Have you started giving the Lysine yet? If not, I would start and give her the maximum dose.

Would an Antihistamine work to help ease the symptoms of the runny eyes/ nose while your waiting for any new antibiotics to start working?

I don't have any eucalyptus oil--I'm back to the vet tomorrow. I gave the Lysine yesterday--will do it again now.

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Susi, I'm afraid I don't have much to offer as far as advice. I have been lucky to have Lysine work really well with my boys. I just wanted to tell you that I will be sending super positive vibes your way tomorrow so your vet can get the kittens all fixed up!!:ThumbsUp:

gizmo6370

Banned
You could try Zithromax.....i have also heard about Docycicline ( not sure if i'm writing it the right way ? ) here's a story about chlamydia from a fellow breeder....maybe it is in any way helpfull with your problem....

http://www.zeropelagio.be/chlamydia_mijn_verhaalEN.html

I hope that your little ones...soon will be feeling so much better....

Last edited:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
So sorry for you and your kittys! I would see about a stronger antibiotic like the others have said. What is it that the vet thinks is causing all of this?
We hope things start to look better for you all very soon!
Have you been using your vet long? Just a thought but I had problems years ago when we got our boxer sydney and the vet ran me in circles forever and she just kept on relapsing I changed vets and she was better in no time. Even if you are happy with your vet keep in mind A second opinion never hurt.

beeblebrox

Lairian
Hey Susi:

I had a similar issue once. Vet gave me Zithromyican and it knocked it right out of them.

I came home tonight and Lulu is so stuffed up I can hear her breathing through her poor little stuffed up nose, her eyes are watery and a little goopy, and Pruney is also sneezing his little butt off. Not constantly, but several times since I've been home. We just finished our third round of antibiotics: amoxicillin, clavamox, and gentamicin.
I could just get hysterical if I allowed myself to do it.
Does anyone have any ideas?

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Susi, so sorry to hear that your babies are still sick. I don't have any good advice either, but when Piglet was having sneezing fits (to the point where she sneezed blood one day), I started using a room humidifier and it seems to have helped her tremendously. Piglet's no longer sneezing a lot and I'm feeling better too. Just a thought.

wundrlust

Lairian
I'm so sorry about your babies. Mine had caught colds and I immediately took them to the vet. He gave them both shots and some type of anitbiotic. I do keep both of them on lysine to ward off colds as well as high potentcy vitamins.
Good luck!

susi794

Staff member
OK, we went to the vet again tonight and he gave me enough gentamicin for another two injections for Lulu, Pruney and Boo. He also gave me gentamicin drops to put in each nostril three times a day. The three youngest cats are the only ones that are still sneezing and the boys--Pruney and Boo aren't sneezing too badly, but Lulu is pretty miserable. She sneezes so many times in a row, her belly muscles must be really sore. Vet says that she is harboring the germs and since the gentamicin appeared to work before, he thinks we needed to give a longer dose, so we added another injection every three days for the next six days. He also wants the gentamicin to go directly to the sinuses, so that's why the gentamicin drops in each nostril. He also gave me some B Complex vitamins with iron for the kits as a boost. Coal is quite a lot thinner than the other two, so I asked the vet to give me a richer formula for him, so I got a much higher quality milk replacement for him--much higher fat level--much better ingredients. I have already been supplementing his feeding from Mabel, but between this formula and the B Complex vitamins, I hope he will fatten up a little and build up some reserve strength and energy. My beagle, Beanie, also has a sore leg--has been limping and vet says he has an anterior cruciate ligament injury, but that it should tighten back up if he doesn't reinjure it. What a relief it was to hear that it was something that didn't require surgery or something long term and debilitating. And Moody got his post op check up and is doing fine.
If everyone ever gets healthy again, I will think I died and went to Heaven.
Thanks for all your positive energy and prayers--I need all the help I can get. I consider you all blessings!
Thanks for the gift, abbyknitter--you were so sweet.
Am exhausted, so am going to bed now. Much love to all,
Susi and the whole gang

Back