Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I feel like a horrible cat mom!

I was cutting Snuffie's nails tonight and she was just not having it. I didn't want to stop as I know it creates bad behavior so I kept going and on the last foot (hind foot) she kicked right when I clipped and I snipped her "quick" a little. It quit bleeding within minutes but is there anything special I need to do other than keep an eye on it? It didn't snip too deep - its just the tp but still. I feel so bad. I've never hurt her before and I just feel awful. I gave her treats and tried to make her feel better. She isn't limping or anything and she will sit with me but not for too long. :Cry:

It quit bleeding almost right away so that was a little comforting. And its 11:30pm and she has started her nightly routine of craziness right on time as usual so she defintley isnt favoring it at all. I'll clean it with alcohol just to ensure there are no germs. Thanks

We will see if she cuddles with me tonight like usual. LOL I'm not getting my hopes up. I can't help but feel awful.

Thanks - I'll get over it. I have to beat myself up a bit. lol I just don't want her to end up with some funky toe cuz I goofed up - ya know.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks - I'll get over it. I have to beat myself up a bit. lol I just don't want her to end up with some funky toe cuz I goofed up - ya know.
The next time you cut her nails might be fun though :LOL:

I normally get her while she is sleeping so she really doesnt care what I'm doing. I tried to do it this time while she was up and about really just to see if I could and she never fusses over her front paws, just the back ones so I expected some tension when I got to those.
I'll just keep doing them when she is sleeping.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I normally get her while she is sleeping so she really doesnt care what I'm doing. I tried to do it this time while she was up and about really just to see if I could and she never fusses over her front paws, just the back ones so I expected some tension when I got to those.
I'll just keep doing them when she is sleeping.
I always do mine after their bath. If they hate having their nails cut they are still securely wrapped in a towel so its easier to just pull a foot out at a time.

susi794

Staff member
It's a good idea to keep a styptic pencil in your medicine cabinet for stuff like this--yo can pick one up at any drug store. Guys use it to stop bleeding on shaving nicks, but it works great on nail trim bleeding on both dogs and cats. My beagle has all black toenails and I hate cutting them, so I try to always have a styptic pencil available.
Did she snuggle you like normal last night? A couple of my cats run from me now after having to dose them with medicine so much over the past months--so I know how that bothers you. It does me too. I will have to romance them all over again to have them trust me that I don't always have some kind of ulterior motive when I want to pick them up.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's a good idea to keep a styptic pencil in your medicine cabinet for stuff like this--yo can pick one up at any drug store. Guys use it to stop bleeding on shaving nicks, but it works great on nail trim bleeding on both dogs and cats. My beagle has all black toenails and I hate cutting them, so I try to always have a styptic pencil available.
Did she snuggle you like normal last night? A couple of my cats run from me now after having to dose them with medicine so much over the past months--so I know how that bothers you. It does me too. I will have to romance them all over again to have them trust me that I don't always have some kind of ulterior motive when I want to pick them up.
Exactly what I wwas going to say! I keep styptic powder at home as i used it if I ever caught the quicks on any of my guinea pigs...thankfully they forgive a lot qicker too! Quick cuddle and some cucumber and they're happy again :LOL:

I can't cut Mug-Y's claws myself because he goes absolutley insane and evil so my poor old vet has to do it and usually ends up bleeding quite a lot! :Dizzy:

I'm glad she forgave you quickly!

X

I always do mine after their bath. If they hate having their nails cut they are still securely wrapped in a towel so its easier to just pull a foot out at a time.
I havent figured that out yet cuz Snuffie fights the towell, she would rather run around soak and wet and dripping to dry off. lol

She did snuggle with me last night!!! I think she is over it because she snuggled with me this morning the usual way while I drank my morning coffee and watched the news and she even sat on my shoulders while I sewed for a bit, she is facinated by my machine. lol She wasn't too happy when I cleaned her nail with alcohol this AM but she seemed to have gotten over it. I think she will be just fine. Thanks everyone for the encouraging words.

Exactly what I wwas going to say! I keep styptic powder at home as i used it if I ever caught the quicks on any of my guinea pigs...thankfully they forgive a lot qicker too! Quick cuddle and some cucumber and they're happy again :LOL:

I can't cut Mug-Y's claws myself because he goes absolutley insane and evil so my poor old vet has to do it and usually ends up bleeding quite a lot! :Dizzy:

I'm glad she forgave you quickly!

X
Oh goodness - poor Mug-Y. Hopefully someday he will see its routine and no one wants to hurt him.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh goodness - poor Mug-Y. Hopefully someday he will see its routine and no one wants to hurt him.
I hope so! Unfortunately I think he is too old and set in his ways to change now...it's taken a while for us to build a bond with him so I'm not gonna break it now...I'll let the vet get mauled instead!!:LOL::LOL:

X

Awww - Well Snuffie let me handle her paws today and let me check them all out. I think we are gonna be just fine! THANKGOD. I was so sad last night. She's been quite the cuddle bug today. :)

I have done that to Gio a couple of times. Don't beat yourself up over it... it's their fault that they moved right!? lol. Maybe he got the hint that he shouldn't move when your messin with his nails. lol.
I have no sympathy for Gio... he has given me many many scars on my arms from his baths. Paybacks a B****!
I really don't think there is anything you can do to have your kitty disown you. And your NOT A HORRIBLE MOMMY!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Do NOT use alcohol to clean the wound.....if you allready have then dont worry about it....but FYI to everyone: Rubbing alcohol/isopropyl alcohol hurts like hell and should not be used on open wounds because it can damage tissue.

I wouldnt bother cleaning the nail at all afterwards, but if you want to clean the wound the next day dip it in some hydrogen peroxide.....that hurts less...

Dont feel bad! it happens....and they dont usually get infected, so dont worry!